Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's easy to think that all EA experience is negative because we tend to vent when things go wrong but we forget to mention the things that go well.

I had a great EA experience this past Saturday, 12/12. I had a day trip scheduled to go to Waco, TX and back home to Austin. The night before, I increased my charge range to 100% from my standard 80%. I live 25 miles from the nearest EA charger located in Round Rock, TX so I planned a quick stop to top off for the longer stretch of my trip. No heat needed being here in Texas, so my efficiency was at max around 2.6 kw/h. Got the range back up to 100% and around 208 miles in 10 minutes and then took off.

Got to Waco and went straight to the EA charger located in the Walmart parking lot (about 84 miles away) with about 123 miles remaining. First 350kw charger didn't turn on, moved car to another and was charging up quickly. 21 minutes later, 36 kWh delivered and one curious person asking what I was doing and how this all worked and I was off! Headed back home later that evening with no stops needed and no panic with the range.

You may wonder why the initial stop in Round Rock when I could have easily made it to Waco without a charge. The reason was to make sure that the EA network was up and running, I topped off the battery enough to theoretically make it to Waco and back to Round Rock without a charge (in case Waco wasn't working) or even make it back home without a charge in Waco (would have been close but still feasible).

Lessons:
1. Don't skip a charging station, even if you can make it. Until the network is 100% reliable, I'll hit every EA station I can to give a little boost unless I'm on the way home and have plenty of range to make it.
2. Plan, plan and then plan again. Thinking that you can just get in and go is not the way it works with an electric car. I took an additional 15 minutes the night before looking for emergency charging stations, running the trip through Google maps two or three times and making sure that the car was ready for the next day. The next time I make this trip, I know the routine and I just replicate.
3. Make sure that the car is set to 100% well before you make the trip and double check it before charging. This goes along with planning in number 2 above, but it needs to be restated. Why? The first time I made this trip a few months back, I hit the Round Rock EA station and could not charge. I fought with EA, tried everything and wasted 20 minutes trying to get a charge. Well somehow the car reset to 80% without me knowing. Idiot that I was, I didn't take a moment to check that so I was at 86% when I got to the charger.

If you've had a good experience with EA, let's hear about it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went on a trip from mid Florida to Montgomery, Alabama in 1st week of July, 2020. Was a bad experience at every charging station. never able to just pull up and charge without moving and trying different ones at same station. Almost got stranded in Tallahassee, Fl. 6 of 7 hookup did not work. 7 th one charged very slow. Same story on return home. These were all EA stations.

Went same trip thanksgiving week, had to go thru Georgia, because of chargers being replace along my normal route. GOOD NEWS, all my stops were without hardly any problems!
Glad EA is finally replacing all the problematic charge! I enjoyed my Etron!

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
186 Posts
Glad to hear it went well! Like Tclark5, I have had very mixed results. When you get 150kW, it's arguably so good that it lines up with normal breaks you would take on any trip. When station after station is broken, it gets messy. Hopefully they fix the bad hardware.

Strongly agree with your points. Also, use A Better Route Planner every time, because the built in trip planner is missing a lot of DCFC locations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to hear it went well! Like Tclark5, I have had very mixed results. When you get 150kW, it's arguably so good that it lines up with normal breaks you would take on any trip. When station after station is broken, it gets messy. Hopefully they fix the bad hardware.

Strongly agree with your points. Also, use A Better Route Planner every time, because the built in trip planner is missing a lot of DCFC locations.
I’ve being using plug share app, documenting the problems. Was told that EA looks at plug share for comments about their charger problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve being using plug share app, documenting the problems. Was told that EA looks at plug share for comments about their charger problems.
I make it a point to Report an Issue every time I have a problem at a charger on the EA app. And to their credit somebody always calls me within the day for feedback on the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I make it a point to Report an Issue every time I have a problem at a charger on the EA app. And to their credit somebody always calls me within the day for feedback on the problem.
I call EA with issues, deaf ears until recently when they started upgrades, on their infrastructure, they all always nice and call me back also. They need to resolve the pricing problems next....

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
186 Posts
I always check in on Plugshare, but since I have always gotten a charge it's always a 'positive' check in. This doesn't reflect the fact that I'll have tried every single stall to get a halfway decent rate. Someone on Audiworld suggested leaving a check in for every non-working stall that you try.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Didn't need to, but finally went through the Audi app and unlocked the electrify America credits on a recent quick trip to Target here this past week. Was pretty seamless and quick. 21 minutes got us 39 kWh. Took a bit longer than expected to get checked out and back to the car. Indicated that we would have a 2 minute "idling" charge, despite no other chargers be in use. Not sure who Electrify America charges for that 80 cents. I don't believe I put my credit card information anywhere...

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Quattro
8 Posts
I have also had many positive experiences at EA chargers and I think it’s great that you started this thread as it easy to simply vent when it doesn’t work, while not recognizing when it does work :)

For my PNW people, the EA charger across from target in northgate has consistently been easy to use, I’ve used it maybe 3-4 times in the last month.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree that they're getting better and have been very responsive, but there's still a way to go. Yesterday it took me three different stations to get a full charging rate. And this has been my overall success rate over the past 11k miles. I'm getting tired of charging station roulette.

I work around all sorts of high voltage electrical equipment that must not fail and they never do fail. How their vendor, ABB, can do industrial equipment flawlessly while working around one out of three things is beyond comprehension.

Reactions: polyphonic
1 - 11 of 11 Posts