Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be dipping my toes in the EV space with an SUV and the E-Tron is a strong contender.

would love to hear owners' experiences on long drives (150 miles+) and did you consider other competitors and why you went with the E-Tron. was the Model X in the running at all?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
was the Model X in the running at all
For the whole 5 minutes before I got into eTron. Yes, it is more zippy (likely) and has more range but I hated the interior and even the demo unit I drove had quality problems (misaligned panels, squeaks and bumps). Plus, it does feel like it was put together by a minimalist and while some folks appreciate that, I do not. I like to feel at least I paid for something that looks and feels decent.
hear owners' experiences on long drives (150 miles+)
The few times I did get out of my home charger range, I had no issues locating decent DC chargers and just top it up. Yes, some of them give problems and it has been reported wide in here. In most cases, it is pure bad luck and just make sure you have enough juice to roll to the next one. Along the motorways here in US charging is not a big problem for now. Stations are located reasonably close so even if you miss one, you can likely roll to the next one if you reduce speed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought about the model X but did not like the design all that much either. The quality issues you read about were another turn off.

I just finished a road trip and had no issues charging. There could have been more chargers as there were just enough with little to no backups (I was driving though Kentucky and Tennessee). But since they all worked fine, it was all good . I just plugged in and it started charging at full speed.

I do not regret going with the E-tron. It is a very comfortable ride with better quality and comfort features compared to the model X. The efficiency values I saw during the trip were similar to what is reported about the model X. Range was not an issue either. You have to keep in mind that with Tesla's and most other EVs you usually end up charging only to 70-80% due to the charging curve dropping fast. The E-tron charges at 150kW up to 80% and then slowly drops. At 99%, I was still seeing 56kW. So you can easily use the entire battery without much of a time panelty, especially compared to other EVs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Test drove Model X, E-tron, iPace and Mercedes EQC.

By definition the E-tron won out (I bought one) but perhaps more of interest to you the Model X ended up bottom of the pile. (The iPace was a close run thing to the E-tron for me btw)

You really need to test drive a Model X, unless you want pure raw size, it is a non-starter by almost every other measure. It will show you just how good the E-tron feels to drive.

Yes it does 0-60 in 3 seconds or whatever but my goodness it really can't be compared with something like the E-tron.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did a 4200 mile roadtrip in my e-tron (in the US) and things went great. It's extremely nice to drive and extremely comfortable.

But, it has issues. Mine spent 30 days in service waiting for a new coolant valve. Part of the assistance systems doesn't work (and Audi has given up fixing it, they're taking the car back and giving me a full refund). The infotainment is slow at times (in 2021 cars), has lots of bugs and was a constant source of frustration on that 4200 mile trip. Audi doesn't offer over the air updates, so you're just stuck with whatever bugs you have unless you get lucky enough to have a dealer update the software some time. App features are insanely unreliable too.

There's no perfect answer to your question really. If you're OK with leasing / selling before you're out of warranty, and prioritize ride + interior quality over tech, go e-tron. If you don't want to deal with occasionally awful software and care about speed, while ignoring some build quality issues and a less relaxed / more sporty drive, go Tesla. They're very different cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts