Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my 2021 etron in March. Unfortunately although this is not related to my issue, I was rear-ended two months later and as a result of multiple errors by Audi at the dealership and national HQ, it took two more months before I got to drive it again. Only has 2,400 miles on it.

The problem I have experienced is with pre-sense engaging for no reason and it slams on the brakes so hard it throws the passengers forward and scares the **** out of us.

Specifically, I was at an intersection near my neighborhood on a four-lane road with a left turn lane and a traffic signal. The signal was green and I was the first car in the turn lane. I waited for traffic to clear before I started moving. The last car on the oncoming traffic was coming in my direction but was in their far-right hand lane or two lanes away from me. After the car had just about passed me I slowly inched out into the intersection and the car slammed, and I mean slammed, stop. I was able to resume my turn after I got my organs back in my body.

The interesting mystery is that this is the second time this has happened and both times it is the SAME intersection but months apart. I travel that intersection multiple times a week making that same left turn without incident except for those two times. Based on my understanding of how pre-sense works, this is NOT it. My wife and I are scared to drive in it.

I am trying to reach the dealership but have left multiple voice mails to service and sales and cannot reach them. Thank you for anyone who can offer some assistance.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Occasional error messages can be dealt with, but when the car actually responds to a non-existent PreSense event--like stopping on a left turn--it would be nice to have a definite resolution. What level of sensitivity do you have your PreSense system set to? The sensitivity can be set to "Early," "Medium," or "Late". On the standard e tron, the selection in the MMI is through Vehicle>Driver Assistance>(COG)>Audi Presense. I found the "Early" setting to be too sensitive for a lot situations. I was getting false "cross traffic" alerts and it made "Side Assist" (Blind spot detection) worthless, since it would sense cars several car lengths behind me, so that on a busy freeway the Amber light was always on--no help at all for making lane changes. "Medium" works well for me.

Also, you might check out this thread---a similar problem to yours:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Occasional error messages can be dealt with, but when the car actually responds to a non-existent PreSense event--like stopping on a left turn--it would be nice to have a definite resolution. What level of sensitivity do you have your PreSense system set to? The sensitivity can be set to "Early," "Medium," or "Late". On the standard e tron, the selection in the MMI is through Vehicle>Driver Assistance>(COG)>Audi Presense. I found the "Early" setting to be too sensitive for a lot situations. I was getting false "cross traffic" alerts and it made "Side Assist" (Blind spot detection) worthless, since it would sense cars several car lengths behind me, so that on a busy freeway the Amber light was always on--no help at all for making lane changes. "Medium" works well for me.

Also, you might check out this thread---a similar problem to yours:

Thanks. I had it set at medium but now am turning it off every time I start the car until the dealership calls me back. Two days and three voice mails and Rick Case can't find someone to call me when I say I am scared to drive my car!!! After reviewing the scenario, I must have started to turn the steering wheel to the left which triggered the response. Still not what it is suppose to do.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thanks. I had it set at medium but now am turning it off every time I start the car until the dealership calls me back. Two days and three voice mails and Rick Case can't find someone to call me when I say I am scared to drive my car!!! After reviewing the scenario, I must have started to turn the steering wheel to the left which triggered the response. Still not what it is suppose to do.
Hopefully, pushing the Safety concerns will make Audi more responsive. Liability and bad press, so a long way, but, even then, you don't want your family and yourself to become a statistic!

·
Registered
43 Posts

According to the manual (fig120 & 2nd indented paragraph) this kind of phantom braking can happen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 2611

According to the manual (fig120 & 2nd indented paragraph) this kind of phantom braking can happen
Thanks but my issue is only when I turn left from a standing position . Presense engages under 5 mph and slams on the breaks . Could be the left front sensor.
Anyone have or know about sensor problems ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mike had the exact same thing happen with a left turn where my car was slightly rolling turning left with another car coming at me in the opposite lane. I knew I was okay and would not crash into the on-coming car but the "Presence" software decided to stop me from rolling any further and applied the brakes. Yes, the first few times this happens its shocking for sure. Without your foot on the bake the software cant tell if you are going to possibly crash into the oncoming car. In 20K miles of driving it's never happened again. I'm careful not to roll towards the oncoming lane on a left turn with cars coming the other way.

Had one other stop which turned out to be helpful. Was at a "T" intersection where all lanes lanes had a stop sign. Thought it was my turn to go left and started out looking and turning left when the cross traffic Presence applied the brakes. Turns out the driver on my right thought it was his turn as well and started moving. In this case a possible crash was averted as I was not expecting him to move into the intersection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike had the exact same thing happen with a left turn where my car was slightly rolling turning left with another car coming at me in the opposite lane. I knew I was okay and would not crash into the on-coming car but the "Presence" software decided to stop me from rolling any further and applied the brakes. Yes, the first few times this happens its shocking for sure. Without your foot on the bake the software cant tell if you are going to possibly crash into the oncoming car. In 20K miles of driving it's never happened again. I'm careful not to roll towards the oncoming lane on a left turn with cars coming the other way.

Had one other stop which turned out to be helpful. Was at a "T" intersection where all lanes had a stop sign. Thought it was my turn to go left and started out looking and turning left when the cross traffic Presence applied the brakes. Turns out the driver on my right thought it was his turn as well and started moving. In this case a possible crash was averted as I was not expecting him to move into the intersection.
Thank you. Did your pre-sense come to a slamming stop, like you were hitting a concrete wall? That is what concerns me. We are only going a couple of miles an hour and it stops so suddenly that it not only scares passengers but cars behind us may think we are turning and hit us from behind.

At the end of the day, it is a good thing to happen but needs to be fixed so the stop is more gradual at such a slow speed. I am taking mine to a dealer next week to have them check the alignment of the left front sensor and make sure they are clean.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello Mike-
Yes, my stops were a bit violent as you experienced too. Would be nice if they were a little less positive. Let us know if your dealer can reduce the sharpness the stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts