Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I'm referencing here is when plugged in to our home Level 2 charger, is a) pre-conditioning feeding off the house current and not the traction battery and b) is pre-conditioning impacting both the interior of the E-tron and bringing up the temperature of the traction battery to its 'happy level'?

I couldn't find anything in the manual about this other than preconditioning impacting interior cabin temperatures.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Like you, I have not found any reference to exactly what is happening to the battery. From what I have read and observed:

1) if you are doing an immediate charge at home, then after the charger shuts down then no conditioning of the battery is happening. While the battery is charging, it will be getting warmed a little by the charging process itself;

2) if you set up a timed charge and include cabin conditioning using the MyAudi app, then while it is charging there will be some warming of the battery. When the cabin conditioning on a timer starts up, one of its advantages (over a quick conditioning) is that it draws power from the wall so that it does not deplete the battery to warm the cabin. However, Discussions on other threads show that this is not quite what happens. When the cabin conditioning starts, it pulls power from the battery. Once the battery drops about 1% in state of charge, the battery starts to charge again getting back up to the desired full SOC. This keeps cycling through while the cabin is conditioned. The battery will get a little more warming from these small charging cycles.

3) if you start up immediate cabin conditoning, the car uses the resistive heaters, which will draw on the battery. So, the battery will get a little warming from the energy drain.

4) if the car is plugged in, but no charging is occurring, there is no feature that allows for warming the battery in the idle car.

Ultimately, to me, the only real gain comes from the timed charge with preconditioning. In that case the cabin is warmed without depleting the battery (that is, unless you get in just before it drops down to that 1% desired SOC) and the battery is warmed a bit by starting the charge so that it completes charging close to your departure time AND while this little 1% recycling is going on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a tool that precisely measures my house’s electrical consumption
I can confirm that during pre-conditioning fully charged car starts consuming energy from the house at about 1kwh, which is not consistent with charging
So yes, it looks like the car is using external energy source during pre-conditioning

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
JNealCox, it’s interesting, in reading your description on how the battery can drop 1% while preconditioning, and then start charging again, it almost sounds like the ping ponging that’s going on for many of us when we get the endless charging alerts. I know you’re probably only talking about one or two cycles, but it is interesting.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I can confirm that during pre-conditioning fully charged car starts consuming energy from the house at about 1kwh, which is not consistent with charging
Same here, the draw rate is too low for a battery charge and it is consistent with the A/C draw (expected value) to reach the interior cabin conditions in expected time (30 minutes). Put it differently, it is a small space heater running full swing (about 1kWh draw).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same here, the draw rate is too low for a battery charge and it is consistent with the A/C draw (expected value) to reach the interior cabin conditions in expected time (30 minutes). Put it differently, it is a small space heater running full swing (about 1kWh draw).
In my case that may not work. I'm using the timed program on my Charge Point HomeFlex to take advantage of TOU rates from my utility. So once the end of the timed program arrives, the charger shuts off. At that point I don't see how the car could pull any power at all from the Charge Point.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
You're correct. When you shut the power off at the charger level then the car cannot circumvent that for sure. It's a battery draw for you

·
Registered
93 Posts
In my case that may not work. I'm using the timed program on my Charge Point HomeFlex to take advantage of TOU rates from my utility. So once the end of the timed program arrives, the charger shuts off. At that point I don't see how the car could pull any power at all from the Charge Point.
I believe Audi E-Tron itself has charging schedule which you can use
Alternatively, you can re-enable your Charge Point Flex in time for pre-conditioning (it accepts multiple schedules, I think)

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
It's a single schedule per weekday as far as I see. The eTron timer works in reverse though so you cannot control the start but rather the end when you want the car done charging. If it allowed to set the start and end it would work much better.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe Audi E-Tron itself has charging schedule which you can use
Alternatively, you can re-enable your Charge Point Flex in time for pre-conditioning (it accepts multiple schedules, I think)
Correct. I can enable a 2nd program as I recall.

Edit: Just checked, mmmzon is correct. There is one program for weekdays & one for weekends. I can always manually start a charge if necessary.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Odd all I have is a single schedule for weekdays and weekend.
You can start you charging session late at night but do not end early - the car will change rather quickly and stop the draw itself.
The it'll do pre-conditioning
The idea it that you really only need a schedule for the --start-- of charging, not to end it (car will do it by itself)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yan, if I don’t set a desired cabin temperature, but just a start time from a ChargePoint charger, will battery preconditioning start after the battery reaches 80% as I’ve set the peak charge to be? Or do I need to tell the car to set a cabin temperature in order for it also to precondition the battery?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yan, if I don’t set a desired cabin temperature, but just a start time from a ChargePoint charger, will battery preconditioning start after the battery reaches 80% as I’ve set the peak charge to be? Or do I need to tell the car to set a cabin temperature in order for it also to precondition the battery?
I'm not sure how the "draw from the wall" cabin conditioning should work if you are setting it up through the 3rd party charger. Using the MyAudi app, the "draw from the wall" cabin conditioning is not tied to when the full SOC has been reached, but rather to the departure time you put into the timer in the app. I find my charging completes close to an hour before the departure time, but the condition starts a little before the departure time...a gap of 45 minutes or so.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your pre-conditioning will have to be scheduled through myAudi app and will start 30 min (depending on setting) before your planned departure
If charging was started late in the evening, it’ll be long done by then and will not interfere with pre-conditioning
So, as an example, if you wanted to start charging at midnight and leave the house at 9 am, you would do the following:

1. Schedule ChargePoint Flex to start charging at midnight and end charging at 10 am
2. Schedule the car to start pre-conditioning at 8:30 am
3. Plug in your car before midnight

Here’s what will happen

1. Charging will start at 12 am
2. It’ll end at 5 am (for example) when the car reaches its preset charge limit
3. At 8:30 am the preconditioning starts
4. You drive away happily at 9 am
5. ChargePoint Flex charger disables charging at 10 am until the next midnight

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys, so 2 questions...actually 2 question and one concern:
1. When the interior of the car is being preconditioned, I’m assuming that’s when the battery is getting preconditioned?

2. I‘m also assuming if you don’t set the car’s interior temperature to some value, the battery preconditioning won’t take place? IOW are these 2 operations (interior cabin preconditioning & battery preconditioning) mutually dependent or independent?

Finally, my major concern centering around the car’s current issue with 5 minute cycling between 79% & 80%. Last night, just to see what would happen, I set the timer to charge for 5 hours, knowing all I needed was 2 hours of charging. 39 notifications later, charging stopped. Yes, an annoyance, but a real concern for a reason I’ll explain.

As a new charging cycle begins & ends (no matter how short), we’ve all heard the relays clicking & clacking. I would think going through 39 of these 5 minute cycles (even though current draw is minimal) can’t be good for the longevity of relays and whatever else is involved in a charge cycle. That’s why, until Audi comes up with a fix, I try to time the charging as close to how long I need it to get the additional miles. If I need 40 miles I set it for 2 hours. Charging to 100% as Audi suggested to avoid the issue is something I want to avoid as a workaround to the issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have never seen 5 minute cycling between 79% & 80%
Maybe you should have the dealership look at it

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have never seen 5 minute cycling between 79% & 80%
Maybe you should have the dealership look at it
It's a known issue with many of the 21s according to Audi. A number of people on the forums have mentioned it. I called the E-Tron hot line and they said they've gotten many complaints about it. They've identified a software issue where the car is misreporting its status. They're confident they can come up with a fix before too long. They said drivers will be notified, probably by email, when a fix is determined.

In the meantime they're advising people to turn off alerts so that you don't get waken up in the middle of the nights by 'charge full' every 5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts