Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know how to change the level of pressure for the touch feature on the main screen. I know you can -- but I can't find it anywhere

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Does any one know how to change the level of pressure for the touch feature on the main screen. I know you can -- but I can't find it anywhere
Hi there!

From the MMI screen, go to SETTINGS -> Display & brightness -> MMI. You should see "Touchscreen Feedback."

It's on page 17 in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
131 Posts
I thought that was the amount of haptic vibration generated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there!

From the MMI screen, go to SETTINGS -> Display & brightness -> MMI. You should see "Touchscreen Feedback."

It's on page 17 in the owner's manual.
Many thanks!! I saw that but didn't click on it because of "feedback". Next time, I'll just keep clicking ;>)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I'm actually going to sticky this one for a bit to serve as a PSA. I recently just watched a Doug Demuro video where he called out that force haptic feedback as a big negative for a Q7 he reviewed.

Audi's MMI is apparently complex enough that even he didn't realize it could be turned off. And he was at an Audi dealer. Hah.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Now tested this with the haptic off. It seems to be faster now, not 100% sure if that's psychology or not. And it doesn't seem to make the screen any easier to use accurately. Anyway, off it is.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Yeah, you can just tap away, and it responds very quickly. No lag like some infotainment systems. And that may be more natural than you think if you're used to smartphones, tablets, etc.

Now tested this with the haptic off. It seems to be faster now, not 100% sure if that's psychology or not. And it doesn't seem to make the screen any easier to use accurately. Anyway, off it is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, you can just tap away, and it responds very quickly. No lag like some infotainment systems. And that may be more natural than you think if you're used to smartphones, tablets, etc.
Some lag. Not no lag.

And, regardles of lagginess, touch screens in cars are still the wrong answer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree. Using the touchscreen is more of a hazard than using steering wheel controls by feel. I find myself distracted too much when using the touch screen--you almost always have to look over at the screen. Now that I am getting more accustomed to the car I am consciously trying to shift myself more and more to the knobs, wheels, buttons, and voice control.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Some lag. Not no lag.

And, regardles of lagginess, touch screens in cars are still the wrong answer.
I agree. Using the touchscreen is more of a hazard than using steering wheel controls by feel. I find myself distracted too much when using the touch screen--you almost always have to look over at the screen. Now that I am getting more accustomed to the car I am consciously trying to shift myself more and more to the knobs, wheels, buttons, and voice control.
Hmm, mine doesn't lag. There can occasionally be some stuffer in animation transitions, but that's technically different. Sorry, also a gamer. We get particular about that stuff. Hah. Lag would be a delay from when you press the button and it responds. Which is virtually non-existent in mine. Now, could it be faster? Sure. But would hardly call it lag, or slow. I have been told mine has the latest software update, so maybe that's a factor.

And I will agree that generally speaking, touchscreens aren't as safe as physical buttons. But your familiarity with said touch controls and how you use them is a very big factor. Now that I've got everything memorized, I find that I'm rarely looking at the screen for more than a fraction of a second, if at all. Combined with the safety tech and the extra "eyes on the road" it gives you, I'm not super worried about it. Plus, most actions I require are done via the steering wheel controls, one of the stalks, or via voice. In fact, recalling a recent drive across town, I don't think I even had to look at or touch the MMI screen once while driving. Everything I needed was in the HUD. I even used voice to raise the temp 2 degrees. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the tip about turning off haptic feedback for increased respsonse. I'm preferring it with the haptic off, but retaining the click sound. It seems quicker and less pressure is required to activate the button.

Like @omegafiler I'm looking at the big screens less and less, with a lot of the info I need being available on the cockpit and controllable via the steering wheel. I'm actually tempted during the journey to fiddle with the big screens, just to do something with them. Perhaps a bad habit creeping in!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts