Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my user name states I took a bath on my Ill-advised purchase of a 2019 etron.
I paid 75,000 (net tax credits) in 2019 and got $51,000 from the dealer when trading it in this week. Dealer told me the cars aren’t selling. “There are 125 new cars in local dealer inventories” “. If you buy one don’t pay any more than $50,000. If you want proof of what I claim just ask. I’ll send you the paperwork to prove it.
Better yet, save your money for the winter and burn a stack of cash in your fireplace. It will be more fun that driving from Walmart to Walmart in search of a working high speed charger!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, purchases my ETron 1.5 months ago, 78k sticker, 66,500 final price. 59k net after tax credit. I knew the cars weren’t selling and was able to negotiate as best I could. Also got zero percent financing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good for you. There’s something to be said for waiting :) The person who buys mine will get a great deal too. I think there will be some fantastic deals on Taycans next year as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agree, I’ve had my ETron in the shop twice over the last month, one for a new headlight (cosmetic issues) and now the rear light malfunction that apparently happens to every car eventually. They need to get their act together, they have to be losing big on this car. Good luck with the Porsche, they are amazing cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As my user name states I took a bath on my Ill-advised purchase of a 2019 etron.
I paid 75,000 (net tax credits) in 2019 and got $51,000 from the dealer when trading it in this week. Dealer told me the cars aren’t selling. “There are 125 new cars in local dealer inventories” “. If you buy one don’t pay any more than $50,000. If you want proof of what I claim just ask. I’ll send you the paperwork to prove it.
Better yet, save your money for the winter and burn a stack of cash in your fireplace. It will be more fun that driving from Walmart to Walmart in search of a working high speed charger!
That sounds bad, but it is hard to judge without more info. Could you please give us a bit more info? MSRP, date purchased, purchase price (before tax credits, before tax/title fees)? Mileage at sale? Did you trade in at an Audi dealer or a different brand?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds bad, but it is hard to judge without more info. Could you please give us a bit more info? MSRP, date purchased, purchase price (before tax credits, before tax/title fees)? Mileage at sale? Did you trade in at an Audi dealer or a different brand?
MSRP: $89,190 (Edition One trim)
Purchase price (n/i any fees or taxes) $84626.99 9/11/19
Tax credit: $7000 on 2019 taxes
Mileage at sale: 8700 miles
Traded in at Porsche dealer owned by and adjacent to Audi dealer where etron was purchased.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MSRP: $89,190 (Edition One trim)
Purchase price (n/i any fees or taxes) $84626.99 9/11/19
Tax credit: $7000 on 2019 taxes
Mileage at sale: 8700 miles
Traded in at Porsche dealer owned by and adjacent to Audi dealer where etron was purchased.
Thanks for the extra info. I was thinking maybe you traded at an unrelated dealer that might not want to deal with what to them would be a pretty strange car that they wouldn't know how to sell. Edmunds thinks the trade in value should be about $60K, but that seems too high given there are a bunch of prestige trim levels on cars.com for less than $60K. So I don't think that they stole your trade. Of course, you can usually do better selling it private party. That is what I almost always do with my cars. I've never sold one in this price range, though. But I would guess that you would have been able to get $55K or even $60K if you were willing to hold onto the car while listing it for a few months.

I think your don't pay more than $50K advice is a pretty harsh, though, especially if you are talking prestige level trim. Do you mean for a new one that qualifies for the tax credit? Even if you mean $50K after tax credits, that's still a little harsh. If you had paid $65K after tax credits for yours, your depreciation would have been $14K or 21.5% which would have been pretty normal for a luxury car. If someone is buying now, I would think that $60K after tax credit or $68K before tax credit would be a decent purchase. Not a steal, but not a bad price. If they had to trade it in in a year,I would think they would get at least $45K for it, if not more. Of course, I don't think that anyone should buy if they expect to sell it in a year.

The reason I'm looking at this forum is that I'm considering buying one. My current thinking is I'll probably wait till next summer, partially because of problems I've read about here and also because so many new EVs are coming soon. But If I could get a prestige at $60K before tax credits, I wouldn't be typing right now, I would be out driving my new car. If they were available for $50K before credits, I don't think anyone would be reading this, they would all be out driving their first or second e-trons.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Of course, you can usually do better selling it private party. That is what I almost always do with my cars. I've never sold one in this price range, though. But I would guess that you would have been able to get $55K or even $60K if you were willing to hold onto the car while listing it for a few months.
Yep, private will always go higher, but like you note, it takes time and effort.
Big reason is that when you trade-in, that value comes off the purchase price, lowering the taxes you pay. In Washington (10% tax) taking $50k off the purchase price of a vehicle is worth a lot in tax savings, and the dealer knows this. So if you spend a bunch of time/effort/hassle private selling it for $5k more, you didn't save any money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, private will always go higher, but like you note, it takes time and effort.
Big reason is that when you trade-in, that value comes off the purchase price, lowering the taxes you pay. In Washington (10% tax) taking $50k off the purchase price of a vehicle is worth a lot in tax savings, and the dealer knows this. So if you spend a bunch of time/effort/hassle private selling it for $5k more, you didn't save any money.
Right you are! I forgot about that because I live in sales tax free Oregon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Right you are! I forgot about that because I live in sales tax free Oregon.
"Work in WA, shop in OR" :)
Yeah, dealers up here definitely know that, and will use it to negotiate you down (and rightly so). I took a couple grand less than I could've got privately when I traded in for the Etron, but coming off the purchase price made it an easy sell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup. I was stunned tonight.

2019 eTron One Edition
7500 miles
Price Paid: $76,000 (3 months old) and no tax credit as I was the 2nd owner!
Purchased: November 2019

It has been @ the dealership for the last 10 days trying to fix a battery range issue and I just happened to ask the sales manager what he would offer me for a trade in against 2019 Q8 and he offered me $40k!!!

$36k drop in 9 months of ownership!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup. I was stunned tonight.

2019 eTron One Edition
7500 miles
Price Paid: $76,000 (3 months old) and no tax credit as I was the 2nd owner!
Purchased: November 2019

It has been @ the dealership for the last 10 days trying to fix a battery range issue and I just happened to ask the sales manager what he would offer me for a trade in against 2019 Q8 and he offered me $40k!!!

$36k drop in 9 months of ownership!
Yep. It's a failed product. Maybe should be renamed the Audi "Edsel". Or "New Coke". ? And the Porsche Taycan will have the same fate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep. It's a failed product. Maybe should be renamed the Audi "Edsel". Or "New Coke". ? And the Porsche Taycan will have the same fate.
If your process is to buy a cutting-edge luxury vehicle and then sell it a year later, yes, you are throwing money away. Can't help you with that LOL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My practice is to buy a car that is supported by the manufacturer. This one is not. That's why I dumped it. It's should be a HUGE embarassment to them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Tookabath Why did you trade it in? Mechanical issues? I've had good luck with prior Audi models getting support from Audi of America. What are you driving now?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Regarding buying e-trons in Oregon, I am in Oregon too, and essentially there is an EV tax you pay in this state. I leased my etron, not really knowing how its resale would trend. Interestingly, the differential between leasing and buying was unusually small. I asked the dealer about that and he said, like me, Audi was not sure how well these would go over. I took out a 3.5 year lease, thinking that by then a new generation of significantly improved non-CE vehicles would be available.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts