Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

New to the Audi world. Been eyeing an e-tron for quite a while now and JUST about to sell my BMW X1 and take the plunge. Planning on selling it tomorrow, and signing papers on the e-tron tomorrow as well.

BUT FIRST.....any suggestions/tips/advice? I'm starting to get cold feet reading about the laundry list of problems they're having.

The one I'm purchasing is a Prestige model, 2019 w/24k miles on it. It's at an Audi dealership currently and is Audi Certified. Not sure at the moment how much of these "problems" that people are having have already been addressed on this car, if any.

Thoughts everyone??

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I got my E Tron in Dec 2019. I am really enjoying it. I had some problems in the first 3 months that were corrected, but since then, I've pretty much just been enjoying it. The cabin is amazingly quiet and comfortable and the car handles quite well for an SUV. Now and then I will have some odd software glitch pop up, but it goes away--I'm starting to think of the glitches as adding a little personality to the car. What else would I have to complain about? If the car already has 24K on it then it's likely all the hardware problems have been addressed. As long as the Dealer has updated the car to the latest software, then I'd say you are good to go. The car comes with a portable charger (a box and two detachable cables, one for 120V and one for 240V). Be sure that is with the car you are getting. I would say that a lot of people have big problems getting themselves set up as the Key User in the car so that you can use the remote features available through the MyAudi phone app. If possible get that all set up at the Dealers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my E Tron in Dec 2019. I am really enjoying it. I had some problems in the first 3 months that were corrected, but since then, I've pretty much just been enjoying it. The cabin is amazingly quiet and comfortable and the car handles quite well for an SUV. Now and then I will have some odd software glitch pop up, but it goes away--I'm starting to think of the glitches as adding a little personality to the car. What else would I have to complain about? If the car already has 24K on it then it's likely all the hardware problems have been addressed. As long as the Dealer has updated the car to the latest software, then I'd say you are good to go. The car comes with a portable charger (a box and two detachable cables, one for 120V and one for 240V). Be sure that is with the car you are getting. I would say that a lot of people have big problems getting themselves set up as the Key User in the car so that you can use the remote features available through the MyAudi phone app. If possible get that all set up at the Dealers.
Thank you so much for your reply! I had similar thoughts in regards to the vehicle being at this current stage in life, and with it having been certified at the dealer. I'll be chatting with them today and inquiring as to what types of updates/fixes have been taken care of on this. Fingers crossed!

They're including a charger with it as well -- good note on that, thank you!

Any other feedback from anyone else is still greatly appreciated!

Things to look for and/or ask them specifically about this car that might not cross one's mind being the first electric vehicle I've purchased?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply! I had similar thoughts in regards to the vehicle being at this current stage in life, and with it having been certified at the dealer. I'll be chatting with them today and inquiring as to what types of updates/fixes have been taken care of on this. Fingers crossed!

They're including a charger with it as well -- good note on that, thank you!

Any other feedback from anyone else is still greatly appreciated!

Things to look for and/or ask them specifically about this car that might not cross one's mind being the first electric vehicle I've purchased?
I'll echo @JNealCox that I had a few little hiccups with the car within the first couple of months but everything since then has been great (bought new August of 2020). I've really been enjoying the car and I'm so torn because I love driving it but want to keep the miles low on it! It's mostly been used by my wife for work and she is enjoying it as well.

As a first time EV buyer, make sure that the ~200 mile range works for you and that you are familiar with all of the various charging options in your city and surrounding areas. The charging network is getting much better (Electrify America is starting to step up their game) but you will definitely need to think before any extended drives. Your behaviors need to change, you need to plan before driving and you need patience. I personally enjoyed all of this, it created a sort of gamification with my driving.

I'll put it this way...I swore to my wife that I would never buy an Audi. Friends and family that had reliability issues with A4s and A8s turned me off the brand. We've had the e-tron since August and I'm already thinking about what my next Audi will be.

We have a great community here, so reach out anytime with additional questions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll echo @JNealCox that I had a few little hiccups with the car within the first couple of months but everything since then has been great (bought new August of 2020). I've really been enjoying the car and I'm so torn because I love driving it but want to keep the miles low on it! It's mostly been used by my wife for work and she is enjoying it as well.

As a first time EV buyer, make sure that the ~200 mile range works for you and that you are familiar with all of the various charging options in your city and surrounding areas. The charging network is getting much better (Electrify America is starting to step up their game) but you will definitely need to think before any extended drives. Your behaviors need to change, you need to plan before driving and you need patience. I personally enjoyed all of this, it created a sort of gamification with my driving.

I'll put it this way...I swore to my wife that I would never buy an Audi. Friends and family that had reliability issues with A4s and A8s turned me off the brand. We've had the e-tron since August and I'm already thinking about what my next Audi will be.

We have a great community here, so reach out anytime with additional questions!
Thank you so much for your positive reinforcement! A friend of mine also had an Audi (don't recall the model) and he had all sorts of problems with it as well. But I'm very hopeful for the e-tron! I do the majority of my driving locally, but we do have a fair amount of chargers in the area, so I'm assuming we'll be good. I agree that it should be a fun addition to distance driving to work in the charging stations to the route.

They'll be picking her up today on a transport -- so excited to get things rolling!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all!

New to the Audi world. Been eyeing an e-tron for quite a while now and JUST about to sell my BMW X1 and take the plunge. Planning on selling it tomorrow, and signing papers on the e-tron tomorrow as well.

BUT FIRST.....any suggestions/tips/advice? I'm starting to get cold feet reading about the laundry list of problems they're having.

The one I'm purchasing is a Prestige model, 2019 w/24k miles on it. It's at an Audi dealership currently and is Audi Certified. Not sure at the moment how much of these "problems" that people are having have already been addressed on this car, if any.

Thoughts everyone??

Thanks so much!!
Couple thoughts: the tax incentive may make up the difference between new and CPO price.

More concerning: we had a 2019 prestige. 18k miles. Steep learning curve with the tech. After 2 weeks really loved it and the tech was second nature. Fast forward 15 months and we are now looking for a replacement car that WILL NOT BE A VOLKSWAGEN/AUDI product. The battery is only protected from road debris by the wheel well. We were driving in snow, and a piece of ice/snow/random winter debris kicked up, puncture the plastic fender liner, and bent the battery case, shorting out the battery. Battery had to be replaced (not warrranty). $38,000. Insurance estimate of value of car was $63800, so they totalled the car. Given that the car stranded us on the side of the road after an impact that we did not feel, I was no longer comfortable driving it in the 4 months a year where snow can cover the roads.
A simple 1/4 inch thick piece a sacrificial aluminum/steel between the wheel liner and battery case would have prevented the totally foreseeable occurrence of road debris. But that is not part of the design (yet).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts