Audi e-tron Forum banner

Q4 E-Tron 40 owners - range and charging time experiences?

34K views 147 replies 34 participants last post by  dottyhop 
155 mile trip from Leeds to Norwich during the day.
3.3m/kwh
Outside temp 6 to 8c
AC on all the way at 21c
All Motorway or A roads and kept to speed limits other than a few overtakes.

Still recording 100 miles range left.

Return trip will be on an evening so be interesting to see what I get on the way back.
What drive mode did you have it set on ? i.e. Dynamic, Auto, Efficiency, Comfort ? I have been mostly doing short trips up till now and its hard to see much diff between them in terms of mileage.

Efficiency, I always leave it on that I don't really feel much difference. If I need to stick my foot down it doesn't hesitate.
Thanks, I will try that going forward after next charge cycle. Only had 3 charges so far so early days. I turned the Air Con off assuming that was perhaps using significant battery range given its been cold but as yet I am struggling to get more that 2.7/2.8 mi/kwh.

I saw this article that implies the battery pack is kept at 30 degrees (I assume while being driven or charged) for best performance but I am wondering if I am never quite getting to that temperature in 6-8 mile journeys in temps between 4-10 degrees. Perhaps the pre heat at start of day while still on charger effectively warms the battery pack to optimal as well as warming the car interior without draining the battery. Would make sense to work like that ?

The pre heat doesn't warm the battery, only happens once you get moving.

Yes for short journeys at the moment I'm getting sub 3s.

Still 2.8 is far cheaper than a petrol or diesel getting around mid 20s/30s MPG with those types of journeys so I'd not worry.

AC doesn't make that much difference.
Good to know its not just me on sub 3's

I am more than happy with the cost aspect, I am still only charging the car up once a week locally at a free 55kw charger, don't get my pod point fitted till mid January. Ideal opportunity to go grab a coffee and a sandwich in town while car is charged.

I am just wary doing a 200 mile each way road trip assuming it will make each leg in one go. I guess I will just need to find an excuse to try out the range.

So if we know on a long run when using the Nav and using the suggested charging stations the car prepares itself for optimal charging does anyone have any idea how long before the charger it prepares etc.

Just thinking if there is a way of mimicking this behaviour

From limited experience the Gridserve chargers on M6 didn't dispense more than 45/50kw despite being over 100kw rated at whatever state of charge my car was. Could this be built in to the software by Audi ? trying to get you to use their preferred chargers ? Wouldn't have thought Gridserve would restrict the rate as its in their interests for you to finish quicker ?