Audi e-tron Forum banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
We get around 220 -250 miles on average in our 40, that's a mix of occasional motorway driving at 70mph and town driving at 20-40mph. Never had anything near 300 miles. It might suggest it after a full charge (once had 307miles estimated) but as soon as you start driving it drops straight down.

Charging speed maxed at 124kWh once but we generally get 7kWh at home or around 50-70kWh if plugged into a fast charger (which is never fast for some reason, especially if there are more cars plugged into the other chargers - they seem to get high speeds but we always suffer and drop off).

We've had our car since November 2021.

· Registered
43 Posts
We get around 220 -250 miles on average in our 40, that's a mix of occasional motorway driving at 70mph and town driving at 20-40mph. Never had anything near 300 miles. It might suggest it after a full charge (once had 307miles estimated) but as soon as you start driving it drops straight down.

Charging speed maxed at 124kWh once but we generally get 7kWh at home or around 50-70kWh if plugged into a fast charger (which is never fast for some reason, especially if there are more cars plugged into the other chargers - they seem to get high speeds but we always suffer and drop off).

We've had our car since November 2021.
wow 220-250 is terrible - that's what I get in the dead of winter, and
my driving mix on a daily basis is a mix of Town driving and Motorway.

I keep mileage records for work expenses so my Summer figures are based
on actual recorded mileage and not the cars estimated Range (and with AC on constant).
If I pushed it hard then it would return at least 4.2m/kw but even that is 324mi Range.
I drive more sensibly and throughout June to September averaged 4.8m/kw (~365mi)
which is borne out by my average 65 mile one way journey using 18% of my Battery.
(this changes to 30% in the Winter (220mi))

But I get those sort of ranges without having to really manage things - it's just what it gives.

If you are getting less than that with a 40 then I imagine it's luck of the draw with the battery pack?

· Registered
102 Posts
No Heat Pump. Range does vary quite a lot with temperature though.
Now I've had my car for 18 months my long term averages at different times of year are:

Summer (20C+) 4.8m/kw
Spr/Aut (10-20C) 3.8m/kw
Winter (0-10C) 3.2m/kw
Sub Zero (recent -7C) 2.7m/kw

So the Range fluctuates between about ~200m at -7C to ~360m at 30C+
Just completed a trip at -15c into a pretty good head-wind at 75 mph and was averaging 2.1m/kW

· Registered
37 Posts
No Heat Pump. Range does vary quite a lot with temperature though.
Now I've had my car for 18 months my long term averages at different times of year are:

Summer (20C+) 4.8m/kw
Spr/Aut (10-20C) 3.8m/kw
Winter (0-10C) 3.2m/kw
Sub Zero (recent -7C) 2.7m/kw

So the Range fluctuates between about ~200m at -7C to ~360m at 30C+
I would be interested to know how you drive this, any particular mode? Lower than average speeds? Do you pre heat when attached to the charger? Your numbers are well above anything I have read so that makes you the Jedi Master for battery life 😂

· Registered
186 Posts
wow 220-250 is terrible - that's what I get in the dead of winter, and
my driving mix on a daily basis is a mix of Town driving and Motorway.

I keep mileage records for work expenses so my Summer figures are based
on actual recorded mileage and not the cars estimated Range (and with AC on constant).
If I pushed it hard then it would return at least 4.2m/kw but even that is 324mi Range.
I drive more sensibly and throughout June to September averaged 4.8m/kw (~365mi)
which is borne out by my average 65 mile one way journey using 18% of my Battery.
(this changes to 30% in the Winter (220mi))

But I get those sort of ranges without having to really manage things - it's just what it gives.

If you are getting less than that with a 40 then I imagine it's luck of the draw with the battery pack?
Hold on are we speaking about the Q4 40 here, as in this car?

I don't keep accurate mileage to be fair but on some of the longer trips (such as London to Scotland and back this winter) the range took a massive dive in heavy winds, rain and 70mph driving. I'm genuinely amazed/impressed that you're getting anything over 300miles 😅

Vehicle Car Odometer Trip computer Gauge

· Registered
237 Posts

I don't keep accurate mileage to be fair but on some of the longer trips (such as London to Scotland and back this winter) the range took a massive dive in heavy winds, rain and 70mph driving. I'm genuinely amazed/impressed that you're getting anything over 300miles 😅

View attachment 8052
Where does it show your current state of charge %? Is it the small writing with 98%? I wish Audi would make it larger. It seems like a important piece of information when driving.

· Registered
186 Posts
Yep I think you can change the layout of the gauges to make it bigger, although the four segmented bars to the left of the 98% change colour when it's getting lower so of it's at, sat, 14% you would see one red bar there at the bottom. To be honest, I find the mileage more useful, the percentage can be a bit abstract at times.

· Registered
43 Posts
I would be interested to know how you drive this, any particular mode? Lower than average speeds? Do you pre heat when attached to the charger? Your numbers are well above anything I have read so that makes you the Jedi Master for battery life 😂
Comfort Mode. Heat on when needed, AC when needed. Drive sensibly on Motorway (i.e. 60-70).
No Pre-Heat. Not having to do anything overtly special, but I have driven PHEV's since 2018
so am very used to a driving style that preserves EV range. but only similar to how I would drive an ICE.

· Registered
43 Posts

View attachment 8052
Yes Q4 40 SLine Launch Edition.
even now in Winter I'm getting ~250mi, but WAY over 300 in Summer.

· Registered
23 Posts
The figures that LeeQ4-40 is suggesting I can't get anywhere close to in a 40 sportback 1st edition (no heat pump). I regularly saw around 300 for a full charge last summer but in current temperatures (<10c) I get around 240-250 miles. I've never got above 70kw when charging, and that only briefly.

I recall seeing an article, it could have been almost a year ago, about Audi improving the Q4's battery and charging rate. My car was new in October 2021 so if Lee's is a more recent model his findings may well be due to that.

· Registered
43 Posts
The figures that LeeQ4-40 is suggesting I can't get anywhere close to in a 40 sportback 1st edition (no heat pump). I regularly saw around 300 for a full charge last summer but in current temperatures (<10c) I get around 240-250 miles. I've never got above 70kw when charging, and that only briefly.

I recall seeing an article, it could have been almost a year ago, about Audi improving the Q4's battery and charging rate. My car was new in October 2021 so if Lee's is a more recent model his findings may well be due to that.
Mine is a Launch Edition - built May 2021. I can't say why I'm getting the Range I do in Summer
but I assumed all Q4's would be within a few % of each other give or take.

The battery improvements update I believe was for e-trons only (original, more expensive model)
but it has ben suggested the Q4 will get that update eventually.

However as I've already been waiting 18 months for the MMI update that has not
yet come through and leaves the MMI badly bugged, I'm not holding my breath.

I've no complaints with the Q4 in terms of how it drives as (for me) the Range has been
outstripping what was advertised, but the MMI issues make it almost unbearable.

· Registered
20 Posts

I'm getting around 340-360km (about 220 miles) of range in my Q4 40 in the winter here in Finland, with temps at 0 to -10. Consumption just under 22kwh/100km when driving 80km/h and somewhere around 23,5kwh/100km when driving highway speeds of around 110-120km/h.

Looking forward to seeing what I'll be getting in the summer.

But I've been thinking about charging. I've only had the car (2021) for about 2,5 months now, but I've never managed to get above 60kw charging. Might be the cold temps, but I would figure that they should be higher anyway. I should try doing some proper yoyo-driving, but that would probably just annoy my wife ^^ Has anyone done any proper tests to see what should and shouldn't be possible in at Q4 at around freezing temperatures?

· Registered
237 Posts
I'm getting around 340-360km (about 220 miles) of range in my Q4 40 in the winter here in Finland, with temps at 0 to -10. Consumption just under 22kwh/100km when driving 80km/h and somewhere around 23,5kwh/100km when driving highway speeds of around 110-120km/h.

Looking forward to seeing what I'll be getting in the summer.

But I've been thinking about charging. I've only had the car (2021) for about 2,5 months now, but I've never managed to get above 60kw charging. Might be the cold temps, but I would figure that they should be higher anyway. I should try doing some proper yoyo-driving, but that would probably just annoy my wife ^^ Has anyone done any proper tests to see what should and shouldn't be possible in at Q4 at around freezing temperatures?
I think there is a big difference when the battery is preconditioned vs cold start. Was your vehicle plugged in before you started driving?

· Registered
20 Posts
I think there is a big difference when the battery is preconditioned vs cold start. Was your vehicle plugged in before you started driving?
Plugged in, but had charged to 100% a few hours earlier. We got going a bit earlier than expected, so I only ran the heat pump for maybe 5 mins. But the car had been overnight in a heated garage, at around 15c/60f, so it wasn't all that cold. Having driven for a few hours I'd think that the starting temperature shouldn't matter too much anymore?

· Registered
237 Posts
Plugged in, but had charged to 100% a few hours earlier. We got going a bit earlier than expected, so I only ran the heat pump for maybe 5 mins. But the car had been overnight in a heated garage, at around 15c/60f, so it wasn't all that cold. Having driven for a few hours I'd think that the starting temperature shouldn't matter too much anymore?
The starting temperature matters as a lot of energy would be lost to heat the battery (and the cabin) if it was a cold start. Let us know how it goes when you have trips with cold starts (parked for more than a few hours unplugged)

· Registered
102 Posts
Don’t have a 40, but rather a 50. But there shouldn’t be any difference. Hooked up an obd2 dongle yesterday, and the carscanner app.

vehicle was parked in a 10C garage, having sat for about 5 hours. Battery min temp was at 0 at the start of the trip, max was 2C. For those not familiar, the app measures each cell in the battery independently, giving you the temp of the lowest one, highest one, and the average across all. But it’s always the extremes that the BMS bases it’s decisions on so as to not damage any part of the battery.

after a 20 minute dive through the city with maybe 3 or 4 lights, but mostly at 80 kp, the min temp of the battery didn’t get even 1 degree warmer. Not a scientific test by any means, but I think what it does mean, is that cold has a much greater effect on the batteries and range than we’d think. And driving the car doesn’t heat it up in the cold very much at all.

will try and do a longer test this weekend with some highway driving.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts