Audi e-tron Forum banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Don’t have a 40, but rather a 50. But there shouldn’t be any difference. Hooked up an obd2 dongle yesterday, and the carscanner app.

vehicle was parked in a 10C garage, having sat for about 5 hours. Battery min temp was at 0 at the start of the trip, max was 2C. For those not familiar, the app measures each cell in the battery independently, giving you the temp of the lowest one, highest one, and the average across all. But it’s always the extremes that the BMS bases it’s decisions on so as to not damage any part of the battery.

after a 20 minute dive through the city with maybe 3 or 4 lights, but mostly at 80 kp, the min temp of the battery didn’t get even 1 degree warmer. Not a scientific test by any means, but I think what it does mean, is that cold has a much greater effect on the batteries and range than we’d think. And driving the car doesn’t heat it up in the cold very much at all.

will try and do a longer test this weekend with some highway driving.
Thank you, extremely helpful! What was the outside temp at the time?

· Registered
105 Posts
Don’t have a 40, but rather a 50. But there shouldn’t be any difference. Hooked up an obd2 dongle yesterday, and the carscanner app.

vehicle was parked in a 10C garage, having sat for about 5 hours. Battery min temp was at 0 at the start of the trip, max was 2C. For those not familiar, the app measures each cell in the battery independently, giving you the temp of the lowest one, highest one, and the average across all. But it’s always the extremes that the BMS bases it’s decisions on so as to not damage any part of the battery.

after a 20 minute dive through the city with maybe 3 or 4 lights, but mostly at 80 kp, the min temp of the battery didn’t get even 1 degree warmer. Not a scientific test by any means, but I think what it does mean, is that cold has a much greater effect on the batteries and range than we’d think. And driving the car doesn’t heat it up in the cold very much at all.

will try and do a longer test this weekend with some highway driving.
So basically if the battery is not warming up, you are not gaining some of that range loss back from warming up the battery

· Registered
20 Posts
Also, what software do you have? I've understood that the Enyaq and ID.4 have gotten updates that have affected battery heating, but as far as I know early software did heat the battery for about the first 20-30 minutes.

· Registered
61 Posts
I'm getting around 340-360km (about 220 miles) of range in my Q4 40 in the winter here in Finland, with temps at 0 to -10. Consumption just under 22kwh/100km when driving 80km/h and somewhere around 23,5kwh/100km when driving highway speeds of around 110-120km/h.

Looking forward to seeing what I'll be getting in the summer.

But I've been thinking about charging. I've only had the car (2021) for about 2,5 months now, but I've never managed to get above 60kw charging. Might be the cold temps, but I would figure that they should be higher anyway. I should try doing some proper yoyo-driving, but that would probably just annoy my wife ^^ Has anyone done any proper tests to see what should and shouldn't be possible in at Q4 at around freezing temperatures?
Do you have the heat pump ?

· Registered
102 Posts
Did you try to pre-condition using the GPS option ? When you enter a destination you can select ‘’ charge ‘’ and then you get a list of charging station close to the destination and then the GPS will bring you to the charging station . It does apparently prepare the battery ……..
I was just driving, not heading to a charger. And I was under the impression the Q4 did not have charge preconditioning… yet. Hopefully one day!

· Registered
20 Posts
I just did a test on my way to work. Started from heated garage (15c/60f) and drove (Edit:yoyo'd) for about 25 minutes. Mostly city traffic, with some highway. I accelerated and slowed down as aggressively as I could, and had the heating on as much as possible.

I then got to a charger that should be good (quality 200kw) with 40% SoC. There was an EQS at one out of 5, and I took the one furthest away.

I only got 52kw max, and the charger said the car was limiting the speed.

It was -5c outside, but I'm starting to think that my car has some kind of issue with the charging system.

· Registered
237 Posts
I just did a test on my way to work. Started from heated garage (15c/60f) and drove (you'd) for about 25 minutes. Mostly city traffic, with some highway. I accelerated and slowed down as aggressively as I could, and had the heating on as much as possible.

I then got to a charger that should be good (quality 200kw) with 40% SoC. There was an EQS at one out of 5, and I took the one furthest away.

I only got 52kw max, and the charger said the car was limiting the speed.

It was -5c outside, but I'm starting to think that my car has some kind of issue with the charging system.
I would recommend to start a new thread specific to the charging restriction to see how many have this problem

For the garage heater, which model do you have? Is it always on heating the garage or do you turn it on only at certain times?

· Registered
20 Posts
I would recommend to start a new thread specific to the charging restriction to see how many have this problem

For the garage heater, which model do you have? Is it always on heating the garage or do you turn it on only at certain times?
Yeah, I probably should start a new thread about it.

It's a shared garage between a block of apartments with maybe 300 apartments and around 100 cars. It's built under the buildings, so I don't have anything to do with the heating at all. Pretty nice solution, since I can just take the elevator down to my car :)

· Registered
237 Posts
Use the existing thread. Apparently others are experiencing this issue also.

· Registered
37 Posts
The more I read on this forum, the more I want to give up my q4…
I think you have to put it in perspective though. Yea there are issues and some of them and how they are dealt with are piss poor from a major brand. But compare the issues here to how many are on the road now, how many journeys each day are completed, how many charging sessions are completed.

· Registered
237 Posts
I think you have to put it in perspective though. Yea there are issues and some of them and how they are dealt with are piss poor from a major brand. But compare the issues here to how many are on the road now, how many journeys each day are completed, how many charging sessions are completed.
Regarding the charging sessions completed, maybe some people are ok with 50kW charging. I mean it works right ? The problem is when you’re on a long trip you want your vehicle to charge quickly .

tldr; charging works . Is 50kW hour ok when the spec says >150kW charging?

· Registered
105 Posts
Also keep in mind that there are like barely any q4 on the road… imagine when mass productions hits the roads. Also not everyone will deal with issues with their q4 here on this forum..

101 - 120 of 135 Posts