Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently taken delivery on the Q4 E-Tron Edition-1 . First long journey I needed to make, I charged the battery to 100% and 321 mile range. I did 160 miles and had 100 mile range left when I stopped half way to get enough charge to complete my trip. Not bad, I expected that.
Since then, I have never been able to charge the car to 100% / 320 miles. When I fully charge the car to 100% now, I only ever have 235 range!

I sort of expect this may be some setting i have messed up but I can't find it

Anyone got any thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
69 Posts
Congrats on your new e-Tron! Audi Q4 range is 241 miles, according to quick search on Google, so your 235 miles seems right. I would say that 321 miles was a fluke as the car have either not been driven for long enough for GoM to make estimation correctly, or have been driven at a very low speeds so that GoM overestimates the range. Keep an eye on your range, after a week or two it will give you pretty accurate estimates based on your driving pattern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to disagree but the Audi website makes the following statement Power 204ps ; Fast charging time 38mins; Range 317 (dependant on trim etc) figures based on - data relates to the Audi Q4 Sport 40 e-tron. Yes mine is the edition1 but It can't make 80 miles difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have the Q4 Etron but many Factors effect what we call the "Guess-O-Meter." The range quoted is near optimal conditions, temperate weather, no rain or headwinds, no high speed driving (say over 55 mph). So your car learned from your last trip and now uses that to "project" your range.

What was the average speed of travel so far and how cold is it over there? Both of these will impact your range.

235 doesn't sound wrong For battery size. It is charging to 100%, so if you look at journey history and look at your average efficiency (miles/KWHr or the inverse) you will see why.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The range figure is just a guess, I just ignore it now. It doesn't know what you are doing that day so it's often pointless. Just look at the percentage rather than the range. It is still charging to what you set so it's not doing anything it shouldn't. Good luck, once your used to electric it gets easier. Tip - charge up when you can on a trip rather than expeting the next charger to be working!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The range figure is just a guess, I just ignore it now. It doesn't know what you are doing that day so it's often pointless. Just look at the percentage rather than the range. It is still charging to what you set so it's not doing anything it shouldn't. Good luck, once your used to electric it gets easier. Tip - charge up when you can on a trip rather than expeting the next charger to be working!!
Thanks for your replies.
I have to say that I'm quite hacked off with the whole EV experience and to some extent, Audi. 317 miles, not even in your dreams!
One of the reasons I went for the Q4 was for the advertised range as i frequently have to drive from Newbury, UK to the Lake District. (320 miles.) I knew it wouldn't get the advertised range but I had hoped for 250.........
I have just come back from that trip. On the way up i only managed to get 120 miles on a full charge before I had to stop with only 50 range left, (admittedly it was snowing and i was only doing 30mph for 20 miles)
Coming home, 2 service stations the chargers were either unavailable or out of service. This meant i had to head off route to find a charge.
Found myself wishing i had my Q5 back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for your replies.
I have to say that I'm quite hacked off with the whole EV experience and to some extent, Audi. 317 miles, not even in your dreams!
One of the reasons I went for the Q4 was for the advertised range as i frequently have to drive from Newbury, UK to the Lake District. (320 miles.) I knew it wouldn't get the advertised range but I had hoped for 250.........
I have just come back from that trip. On the way up i only managed to get 120 miles on a full charge before I had to stop with only 50 range left, (admittedly it was snowing and i was only doing 30mph for 20 miles)
Coming home, 2 service stations the chargers were either unavailable or out of service. This meant i had to head off route to find a charge.
Found myself wishing i had my Q5 back.
That's bad luck, and it does seem cold weather makes a big difference to range. Hopefully in the warmer weather it will be better! I am sure you will learn to love it!

Got to admit, my original plan was to get rid of my old petrol MPV once I got the E-tron as a company lease, but have ended up keeping the old car too. Not sure how sustainable that is long term, as it messes with the budget, but having the Etron as my only car lead to too many compromises. That's unfortunately where we are with EVs at the moment maybe. The Etron is amazing, but I can't fit 3 bikes or even a quarter of our camping stuff in the boot!

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
283 Posts
"120 miles on a full charge before I had to stop with only 50 range left"
So that's 170 miles range on 100% which isn't great I agree. Post your efficiency stats for the trip? What are your m/kWh figures? Average speed? Motorway cruising speeds and cold temperatures will likely mean sub 190mile range. Heater on a high temperature or a comfortable one? Car fully loaded?

Just like advertised mpg ratings the quoted range of an ev is to be largely ignored. With the exception of cabin heating all the factors I question above would affect ICE range in the same way, its just that you have a large fossil fuel tank and 5 min refill in your Q5 you simply don't notice the drop in efficiency in cold, wet conditions. With a comparatively small 'tank' the winter efficiency losses of 30% are really noticeable on the achievable range.

Try pre-heat the cabin before setting off and whilst plugged in at home/at your holiday accommodation. Warming the cabin whilst unplugged, especially in the snowy conditions lately, will suck several kWh from your battery.

Sorry about the experience on the charge network. This really needs to improve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another thing that would help if your car is outside or in the cold is to set a departure time for the charge process. This not only charges the car but will also precondition the battery temperature in cold weather for optimal range. The battery heating can take hours and it’s separate from the cabin precondition above (which is all useful). The departure preconditioning can be set and can do both.

Reactions: Chrisechild

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
283 Posts
This not only charges the car but will also precondition the battery temperature in cold weather for optimal range. The battery heating can take hours and it’s separate from the cabin precondition above (which is all useful). The departure preconditioning can be set and can do both.
Nice feature. The fat etron suv doesn't do this using home chargers, just small residual heat generation from the charge process.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice feature. The fat etron suv doesn't do this using home chargers, just small residual heat generation from the charge process.
thanks interesting, does it allow setting departure time and delay charging to departure time? As you said that would help somewhat.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
thanks interesting, does it allow setting departure time and delay charging to departure time? As you said that would help somewhat.
At least in the Quattro 55, the ONLY way to set the charger via the MyAudi app or MMI, is by setting a Departure time. The actual "battery conditioning" is just from passive heating of the battery while is charges up. Preconditioning the cabin at the same time adds to that because the car will periodically pull power from the wall to replenish the battery, thus warming the battery by charging a little more.

I gather that the battery implementation in the Q4 is very different that how it was handled in the Quattro 55, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts