Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a flat on my Q4 after less than 3 mo of ownership. My wife hit something in a puddle in some heavy rain and the left rear went completely flat. She was close to home so she drove it.

When she got home I found out there's no spare, just a patch/slime fill kit. I had to learn that audi has lug not covers on them and there is a special tool to take them off. I found the puncture area and it was something massive because it cannot be repaired.

If situations like this happen, and there is not spare tire why not give customers run flat tires? I believe the Mercedes EQB 300/350 come with run flats because there's no spare.

Anyone ever consider changing their tires to run flats? if so do you guys think there's any drawbacks to doing this?

PS - I'm going to build my own full size spare. I know the front and rear are different sizes. any advice? should I go wide for the spare or narrow (235 or 255)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a flat on my Q4 after less than 3 mo of ownership. My wife hit something in a puddle in some heavy rain and the left rear went completely flat. She was close to home so she drove it.

When she got home I found out there's no spare, just a patch/slime fill kit. I had to learn that audi has lug not covers on them and there is a special tool to take them off. I found the puncture area and it was something massive because it cannot be repaired.

If situations like this happen, and there is not spare tire why not give customers run flat tires? I believe the Mercedes EQB 300/350 come with run flats because there's no spare.

Anyone ever consider changing their tires to run flats? if so do you guys think there's any drawbacks to doing this?

PS - I'm going to build my own full size spare. I know the front and rear are different sizes. any advice? should I go wide for the spare or narrow (235 or 255)
The tire noise from run flats may be overwhelming.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,444 Posts
Couldn’t you put a spare on the roof rack?
on run a few on a trailer? :)
I have a spare in 2019 eTron, but more and more manufacturers will not include spares and instead provide a patch kit and 2-3 years of roadside assistance. It comes much cheaper for them (flats are not that common, irrespective) and most people will not know how to change a damaged tire anyway and will call for help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a flat tire 5 days after I picked up my Q4 or a total drive of 90 kilometers. Free roadside assistance from Audi came after 20 minutes and repaired the tire on site and off I went. Not great to have a completely new car with a repaired tire, but if I just ignore/forget the fact that it has a repaired hole in it, I guess all is good ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is crazy. Changed to completely new winter tires 1 week ago, and today I had another flat tire after 5 days. Left front again. Co-incidence? I've never had a flat tire in my car owning life (30 years) before and now I have it twice with 5 day old tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a flat on my Q4 after less than 3 mo of ownership. My wife hit something in a puddle in some heavy rain and the left rear went completely flat. She was close to home so she drove it. When she got home I found out there's no spare, just a patch/slime fill kit. I had to learn that audi has lug not covers on them and there is a special tool to take them off. I found the puncture area and it was something massive because it cannot be repaired. If situations like this happen, and there is not spare tire why not give customers run flat tires? I believe the Mercedes EQB 300/350 come with run flats because there's no spare. Anyone ever consider changing their tires to run flats? if so do you guys think there's any drawbacks to doing this? PS - I'm going to build my own full size spare. I know the front and rear are different sizes. any advice? should I go wide for the spare or narrow (235 or 255)
I have run flats on my 2021 Q5 PHEV and they are noisy. I will replace them with regular tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts