I could be tempted to do the same, AMAG told me they will contact Audi this week and confirm what they can once they have spoken to them... lets see what they say.Quick update on my order (Switzerland) - dealer called the factory, but after 6+ months there is still no news on build date/what part is missing. So we decided to go through the available (new car) stock together with the dealer spending two hours there. We did find a car with a fairly similar spec (only it’s a SB instead of SUV), so eventually we did a new leasing contract for that and voilà the car will be with us in two weeks.
We needed to pull the trigger on this quickly, as I could see in the system that even for cars in stock there was a waiting list basically if someone already got an offer or leasing pending.
Not sure if this strategy could work for you guys, however, if you are not dead set on your order, you might want to explorer this option.