Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up my Q4 50 sportback after christmas, and have driven it for a couple of weeks now, largely just to work and back (40 mile round trip up the dual carriageway). I thought I'd jot down my thoughts on the car so far. Previously I drove an Audi TT for 6 years, so that's all I can really compare it to.

Firstly, as early reviewers have said, the interior quality isn't as good as earlier models. Now it is still good inside if you compare it to something like the ID.3 (which I sat in once and was dreadfully cheaply made), and nicer than the Polestar 2 I nearly bought, and better than the Tesla I tried, but it's not on a par with the TT. Perhaps Audi were trying to keep the price down.

It drives perfectly well, though is completely unexciting, but then it's not that sort of car. It's designed to put children and their associated junk in and take everyone from A to B in comfort, and it absolutely does do that. The 50 is pretty fast, even in the cold when I only get around 75% of the available battery. If I floored the TT, there was a slight pause while the DSG changed gears and the revs went up, then it shot forward like a bullet - you really knew something was happening. The Q4 just quietly and linearly accelerates from 0 to whatever your nerves can stand without fuss. And it really is quiet.

I have neither matrix lights, nor tech pack, nor comfort or sound options. The demo cars I tried had everything, which made me decide I really didn't like the HUD and could live without all those tech options, and couldn't really afford them anyway since I wanted the 50. The lack of a reversing camera worried me a bit, but actually the rear visibility in teh sportback is better than I had expected. I'm sure if I had had a camera previously I would miss it, but you don't miss what you haven't had, sort of thing.

The touch buttons on the steering wheel are a bit of a pain. On the plus side they do click when you push them, but "stroking" them up and down lacks any defined control. But lets be thankful the car isn't full of them!

The MMI and tech side is a bit disappointing to be honest. Firstly the lack of a "user" option is pretty dreadful - I lose all satnav history and favourites every few days, and some settings aren't remembered between starts. I presume once I'm no longer a "guest" that will be fixed. The lane assist is the worst culprit - it is always on by default, and it's pretty lethal; it often gets it wrong and to have the steering wheel unexpectedly turn under you is a heart stopping moment. I hated it in the TT and this is no better. To make matters worse, audi seem to have also disabled the control switch for it on the lights stalk (but left the switch in place?!).

On the TT you could control everything on the MMI from the steering wheel controls, but that's not the case on the Q4, so you have to keep reaching for the touchscreen, and with nothing to rest your hand on while doing it, that can be pretty tricky, and means spending some time not watching the road. Certain features are disabled while driving for "safety", and I dispute some of them. You can't use the keyboard to enter a satnav address, but have to use the drawing screen instead - I mean did Audi actually try that out? Tapping in a postcode is trivial and quick, but trying to draw letters and numbers and constantly delete them is pretty dangerous. Try getting it to recognise a "2". I did at least discover that the automatic brakes work. But I guess I'll get used to the MMI in time - the TT MMI was not without its own problems.

Range wise I'm getting about 420W/mi in our current UK 0-10C winter weather, which is fine for me since I only do shortish journeys and charge it at home. Pod point charging is absolutely fine. I use the pod point app to set the charge times, so can't comment on the cars internal scheduling. For the really short journeys to school or supermarket the efficiency is very good, but my dubious dual carriageway commute driving makes up for that.

I only use the audi app to preheat the car, and it does manage that most of the time. It would be nice to have more features on it, and maybe one day audi will grasp the whole tech connected thing that other companies understand, we'll see.

EDIT: On re-reading the manual, apparently the lane assist button has to be held down to deactivate it; I'll try that next time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I absolutely agree on the touchscreens being a mix of hazard ("you have to keep reaching for the touchscreen, and with nothing to rest your hand on while doing it, that can be pretty tricky, and means spending some time not watching the road. ") and absurdly arbitrary function choices ("Certain features are disabled while driving for "safety", and I dispute some of them. ") If Audi wants to cover their posterior, I will sign a statement absolving them of liability in case I crash while using their already unsafe touchscreen. Aside from that I really like my 2019 etron. Cheers!

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can't use the keyboard to enter a satnav address, but have to use the drawing screen instead - I mean did Audi actually try that out? Tapping in a postcode is trivial and quick, but trying to draw letters and numbers and constantly delete them is pretty dangerous.

Can you use voice input for this? I hate voice control for most situations but that's a reasonable use case

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really didn't like the HUD and could live without all those tech options, and couldn't really afford them anyway since I wanted the 50. The lack of a reversing camera worried me a bit, but actually the rear visibility in [the] sportback is better than I had expected. I'm sure if I had had a camera previously I would miss it, but you don't miss what you haven't had, sort of thing.
Thank you for your comments. This is most helpful since here in the States, I haven't seen a Q4 much less had the opportunity to test drive one. Even the dealers haven't seen one. I have some questions:

1) What didn't you like about the HUD? My old Prius Prime had one and I've missed that feature on the cars I've had since.
2) There's NO backup camera? Really? I mean you have to rely on sensors only? I haven't see a car w/o a backup camera in the US in probably 10+ years. This is a dreadful omission if so.
3) How's the braking? I test drove an ID.4 which is based on the same platform AIUI, but I noticed the regen braking just stops below about 5mph resulting in the car coasting into the car in front of it, if I'm not quick on the physical brake. If the Q4 has this same problem (braking isn't smooth), it will be a big negative for me.

I also don't care about power as long as it's better than our Subaru Crosstrek, lol. Sounds like the 40 will be enough for me and I don't want a glass roof. ACC is a must, however, and the base model doesn't have it w/o an upgrade, huh?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
2) There's NO backup camera? Really? I mean you have to rely on sensors only? I haven't see a car w/o a backup camera in the US in probably 10+ years. This is a dreadful omission if so.
You'll get it in the US, it's a law there. It's still very uncommon here in the UK, which really is a shame and dangerous at this point. Wish we'd bring that in too. Will not order a car without it any more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your comments. This is most helpful since here in the States, I haven't seen a Q4 much less had the opportunity to test drive one. Even the dealers haven't seen one. I have some questions:

1) What didn't you like about the HUD? My old Prius Prime had one and I've missed that feature on the cars I've had since.
3) How's the braking? I test drove an ID.4 which is based on the same platform AIUI, but I noticed the regen braking just stops below about 5mph resulting in the car coasting into the car in front of it, if I'm not quick on the physical brake. If the Q4 has this same problem (braking isn't smooth), it will be a big negative for me.

I also don't care about power as long as it's better than our Subaru Crosstrek, lol. Sounds like the 40 will be enough for me and I don't want a glass roof. ACC is a must, however, and the base model doesn't have it w/o an upgrade, huh?

Thanks!
The HUD was perfectly good with a nice clear projection, showing speed and hints from the satnav, but for me I found it rather irritating. Really its just down to personal choice.

UK cars don't have to have reserving cameras by law, so you have to pay extra for them.

The brakes are quite squishy; you have to push them quite hard to stop (though I'm comparing it to the TT, which perhaps had sharper brakes by design). If you put it in full regen mode, then the car brakes when you take your foot off the accelerator of course. I only use regen in a gentle mode, where is does coast forward, like an automatic ICE would. I'll try it again with the regen on and see what it does.

In the UK ACC is an upgrade, though I suspect the vast majority of buyers will have gone for that. I debated it, but was short on cash.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I quite like HUD and made it my mission to only get a Q4 with it. For me I much prefer that info in the screen and means I'm less distracted, the only issue I have with it when driving at night is that it is too dim.

I'm getting a reversing camera retro fitted in a weeks time..

·
Registered
244 Posts
There doesn't appear to be a day/night setting for the HUD (there is in the Nav though). I've managed to find the HUD settings and turned the brightness up to high.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've seen quotes from £500 upwards. Mine is £650 before VAT.

Many Audi dealers won't consider doing this type of work, if my dealer is anything to go by.

The company fitting mine has identified the Q4 equipment and can do the work necessary, they are familiar with Audi, so I just hope they do a good job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The lack of a reversing camera worried me a bit, but actually the rear visibility in teh sportback is better than I had expected. I'm sure if I had had a camera previously I would miss it, but you don't miss what you haven't had, sort of thi
The Q4 doesn't have a reversing camera???
Isn't that a default option for all modern cars these days?

·
Registered
244 Posts
My car is a Launch Edition and doesn't have it. It seems to have a mix of options.

Rear Camera comes with one of the Packs, Comfort & Sound or the Tech Pack. The Audi configurator currently not showing those options.

No doubt Regional Specific fitments and options will vary as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of course there's a rear view camera available for the Q4. Depending on the market, it might be standard or optional with a cost. There's even a 360 camera system as an option.

About the HUD, it's the best I've seen in any car yet. Lots of information in it and the images are really sharp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My car is a Launch Edition and doesn't have it. It seems to have a mix of options.

Rear Camera comes with one of the Packs, Comfort & Sound or the Tech Pack. The Audi configurator currently not showing those options.

No doubt Regional Specific fitments and options will vary as well.
Will a third party be able to activate the car software too? Or does it need to go in to the dealer for that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
To disable lane assist press the button on the side of the indicator stalk for 5 seconds.
Brakes feel vague because even when you apply the brake pedal, the car will at first slow down using regen braking on the elec. motors. Only if more stopping power is required the mechanical brakes are applied.
I fully agree with your review. Spot on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Will a third party be able to activate the car software too? Or does it need to go in to the dealer for that?
They are saying they can, they have previous expertise with Audi car amongst others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts