Audi e-tron Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Why doesn’t my car allow the charger unit to deliver the maximum power that the car can take?
I am using 350kwh IONITY chargers but the car rarely allows 100kwh to be delivered - way off the max it should take - yet I am still being charged the ultra hi power charger costs of £0.75/kwh

Thanks

jason

· Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi
Why doesn’t my car allow the charger unit to deliver the maximum power that the car can take?
I am using 350kwh IONITY chargers but the car rarely allows 100kwh to be delivered - way off the max it should take - yet I am still being charged the ultra hi power charger costs of £0.75/kwh

Thanks

jason
Of course battery heating, etc, are the reasons behind limiting the charging rate. You should check other threads here regarding the GT. One thing, it seems the car will not reach the maximum charge rate unless the car is initially below a 20% SOC. The inherent resistance to jamming in more electrons increases as the SOC increases. Another is, if you have been driving, if you put the charger you are going to use into NAV, the car will condition (eg, cool) the battery so that it is at optimal temperature for charging.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course battery heating, etc, are the reasons behind limiting the charging rate. You should check other threads here regarding the GT. One thing, it seems the car will not reach the maximum charge rate unless the car is initially below a 20% SOC. The inherent resistance to jamming in more electrons drops as the SOC increases. Another is, if you have been driving, if you put the charger you are going to use into NAV, the car will condtion (eg, cool) the battery so that it is at optimal temperature for charging.
Of course battery heating, etc, are the reasons behind limiting the charging rate. You should check other threads here regarding the GT. One thing, it seems the car will not reach the maximum charge rate unless the car is initially below a 20% SOC. The inherent resistance to jamming in more electrons drops as the SOC increases. Another is, if you have been driving, if you put the charger you are going to use into NAV, the car will condtion (eg, cool) the battery so that it is at optimal temperature for charging.
Thanks - I wasn’t aware of the 20% limit i will specifically state this when I take the car back for a diagnostic check - there is so much more to know than simply plugging in - i can now manage my disappointment. If only I hit 20% when there is a high power charger nearby - I plugged in at 40% and it was slow

· Registered
234 Posts
Unfortunately not! It now costs more to run my EV than a petrol equivalent!
That is way too high, obviously if it was an option to use L2 chargers then it should be much cheaper (its similar here but not as bad right now).

· Registered
2,397 Posts
Thanks - I wasn’t aware of the 20% limit i will specifically state this when I take the car back for a diagnostic check - there is so much more to know than simply plugging in - i can now manage my disappointment. If only I hit 20% when there is a high power charger nearby - I plugged in at 40% and it was slow
OOPs! I meant to say the "inherent resistance INCREASES" as the SOC increases (which tends to slow the charging rate)! The 20%, as far as I can tell, is just a rule-of-thumb that GT owners have come up with.

I will add that I do not own a GT, but a 2019 etron quattro 55. I was really interested in reading about the super fast charging touted for the GT. However, when I started reading about the fairly narrow set of special conditions the GT has to meet in order to achieve that high charging rate, it seemed to me that it would not offer a tremendous advantage over what I get in my Quattro. I very rarely let the car drop below 40%!

· Registered
e-tron GT Vorsprung Kemora Grey
185 Posts
Didn't you get a free e-tron charging service subscription with your car? Ionity is 33 pence per kWh with it. Same price if you use the Elli app and pay the monthly sub which is effectively the replacement for the etron charging service.

Think everything has been covered with the charging speeds, it's nothing unique to Audi, Teslas have an even narrower band where they can get max speed. If you plug in at say 5% in the GT with the battery at an ideal temperature you should be able to sustain over 250kW up to around 40%. Even with a properly pre-conditioned battery if I start a charge around 40% I'll only get around 150kW though. The benefit it though that the car will maintain a higher charge rate for longer as the % climbs as the battery wasn't cooked earlier on - you should be able to keep over 50kW to over 95%.
In summary, if you want max rates, as low a SoC as possible, and always use the Audi navigation to the HPC charger and remember the battery will take some time to warm up after a prolonged stop even with pre-conditioning, so charging after a long drive is much better when things are nice and warm than charging first thing in the day.

As an aside, if you end up joining the club of owners with broken heaters, you'll only get around 50kW as the car can't condition the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts