Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ha both in Manchester! The ones that effect me (rarely as I have a charge point at my work place and at home)
Around media city Salford are council owned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I work at Exchange Quay (when the office is open). There are a couple of chargers there, both GMEV. I have only ever seen EVs or PHEVs parked there, but they're in quite a public place (on a roundabout of all places!)

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I work at Exchange Quay (when the office is open). There are a couple of chargers there, both GMEV. I have only ever seen EVs or PHEVs parked there, but they're in quite a public place (on a roundabout of all places!)
Small world.. I work in Salford sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yep cool, If you get stuck for a charge in Manchester, feel free to give me a shout I own a company car park with a charge point on it, Drop by plugin!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So let’s hear it!
Whats the lowest anybody has got down to while out and about?
Has anybody driven past the zero range mark!
let’s hear those horror stories!

I have got to a charger with 10 left, charger was broken, I only needed 20-25 to get home, so just needed a top
Up of say 15 next charger 8 miles away (wrong direction) needed 30 to get home!
I was sweating!
I drove from north bay to central coast ca. Didn’t realize that electrify America was a joke. FinallY found a Fast charger at less than 30 miles. But it was turned off. 2 beers later and and a few hours of slow charge made it to a fast charger in past Robles. Had a few more Bremen’s and learned a few lessons. Always bring your charger with. Don’t trust ea and plot out ev go. Way more reliable. Plus car goes farther if everything Off. Which the car can do GeForce you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I drove from north bay to central coast ca. Didn’t realize that electrify America was a joke. ...
I drove L.A. to the Bay Area up the coast through Ojai (had to drop off a package) in a heavy rain storm. I used the PlugShare app to plot my course. I was going fast trying to get home (Christmas Eve). I started with a full charge with the plan to make Paso Robles for first recharge. It was going to cut it closer than I preferred, but there were no other fast chargers. Because of the weather and my speed, I stopped for an hour in Santa Barbra to get enough get a 50kW charge enough to get me to Paso comfortably. (Note there are now 15kW and 150KW chargers in Pismo Beach; I wish they had been there on that trip, I would have used them.) As I approached San Luis Obispo I was sure I could make it to Paso Robles, but did not have enough charge to make it back in the event Paso was down. So I stopped for another hour to get me to Paso and back if needed. That /should/ have been enough to get me home. But I was going fast in bad weather and so planned to stop in Prunedale for a high-speed charge, which would worked great except the chargers would not work with the E-Tron (later learned the lift-the-handle-trick). I might have had a better chance had I stopped in Salinas. Either way I limped to Gilroy where I charged for an hour to get home.

The PlugShare app was great for planning. I especially liked that people were "checking in" which told me that chargers were or were not working. Now that there are fast chargers in Pismo, and now that I know how to left-the-handle for some chargers, I would do the trip again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So let’s hear it!
Whats the lowest anybody has got down to while out and about?
Has anybody driven past the zero range mark!
let’s hear those horror stories!

I have got to a charger with 10 left, charger was broken, I only needed 20-25 to get home, so just needed a top
Up of say 15 next charger 8 miles away (wrong direction) needed 30 to get home!
I was sweating!
It was after midnight on March 1, 2020, pre-pandemic. I was coming home from a drum circle on the Pennsylvania/New Jersey boarder. Temperature on the display read 18ºF / -8ºC.

Earlier that morning on Feb 29th, I noticed mileage availability was at 175 at just under 80% charge. I calculated the trek on my iPhone. 144 miles round trip. I figured I had enough to make the trip. So, I began my drive in Efficiency mode. What I did not account for was usage of the cabin heater, the incline driving into the mountains, and low temps.

Upon arrival at my destination, I switched Drive Select to Offroad mode as I was pulling into a campground with some rough unpaved terrain. I noticed the remaining milage was at 53 miles. I was going to have to find a 150kW station going home. And I did. 44 miles away. Apparently, a brand new Electrify America station appeared on the EA app listed in East Brunswick, New Jersey. No sweat. Back in Efficiency mode.

9 miles remaining. I miss my exit. I spend another 1.25 miles to get myself on back on track. I pull into the lot. 7 miles remaining. All I see are Tesla chargers. I put the car in park as to keep the heater going and immediately jump on the line with EA. After a few minutes on hold, they found that the station was actually 2.6 miles from what was listed. Because the station had recently launched, the address on the app was listed inaccurately. My heart rate starts to rise.

4 miles left. In relief, I pull in to see ten bright green lit EA stations. I plug in. Charging station 1 errors out.

I move and plug into charging station 2. It doesn't make it past initialization. Then station 3 errors. I call EA.

It's now 1:30am and the temp on my watch reads 17ºF / -8ºC. The rep guides me to Charger 5 and 7. Both erred out. After a few minutes on hold, the rep says to move the car to station 9 and to wait for them to reset the station. Bingo! 38 minutes later, I was at 100%. Impressive, but my hands... oh my hands. LOL

So, lessons learned:
  • Consider the terrain: amount of incline, unpaved roads, etc. *
  • Take note of outside temperatures (and in my case, keep a good warm pair of gloves in the glove box)
  • Factor in cabin climate control **
  • Always add 10-15 miles to the journey for any emergency detours
  • Program Electrify America in my phone's contacts and call before trekking to the charging station to make sure the stations are working. And be specific with what kW will be needed. I'd even recommend asking them to verify when it was last used.
EA was really great about comping that charge and even offered a complimentary charge on our account. They actually won me over since with how supportive they've been whenever I call. I sure hope that kind of customer support stays around for a while.

* Solely testing out the etron's route planner after the latest update, in the past two months (June-July 2020), drive assist anticipates curves and intersections much better using the native MMI Navigation than using third party apps on the cell phone via CarPlay, like Waze. The milage availability reading seems to account for the terrain (inclines/mountains) on the route and calculates mileage availability more accurately. When our 6 month free trial ends, we've decided to lock in Connect Prime subscription for 18 months without the onboard wifi (Connect Plus). Going forward, I'll only use Waze when driving around New York City/Brooklyn during peak rush hours for more minute by minute closure reports or road alerts.

** Tip: If the climate control is not turned off before powering off the etron, MyAudi mobile app shows lower milage availability, factoring in the climate settings last used when the vehicle was powered off. Not sure if Audi did this intentionally or if we're going to see a change on the next software update.

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Excellent right up.
Sweaty hands!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got down to 0% and 2 miles last night and no issues. Had been out on some errands and decided to waste the last 10 miles close to my home charger. No major loss of power, although the gauge was ramping down from 75% to 25% to encourage a moderation in driving style.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts