Audi e-tron Forum banner

Rattles are making me mental!

29K views 148 replies 41 participants last post by  thom 
#1 ·
Took delivery of a new GT about two weeks ago. Love the car. Range has proven to be better than expected, super fun to drive, WAY better than my Tesla X.
On the bad side... rattles. I have several annoying rattles coming from the car. Rear passenger area, center console, dashboard.

Attempting to get it in to service at my dealer. I did call and got the famous "your the first person to have this problem" and "we don't typically chase down buzzes and rattles".
Just checking to see if anyone else has had an issue. Thank you in advance

#2 ·
I have a nasty rattle coming from the passenger front door. It's very reproducible. Also have a rattle from the front dash, up towards the windshield - not as bad as the passenger door. I haven't taken it in for a service yet. I'm concerned that if they do accept to look at it, it'll come back worse than when it went in (panels won't get put back together as well, etc.)

#7 ·
Passenger door rattle is persistent and loud enough that is probably still hear it. And I did have a model S in 2016. Almost every part of the car was replaced while I had it. Drivers seat, battery coolant heater, motor, big screen/computer, big battery.... I loved the concept, and I was on a first name basis with the service manager. Enjoying the GT, except for the @#$& rattle!

#10 · (Edited)
I have found dealers to be unhelpful when it comes to diagnosing or correcting rattles. But if a rattle is coming from inside the door, it may be easy to fix yourself. Search YouTube for door panel removal instructions for your model. You will have to disconnect a couple of electrical connectors and the cable for the door handle, but door panels are designed to be easily removed so it shouldn't be difficult.

Once you have the door panel off, tighten all fasteners that can be tightened, apply Dynamat or similar product wherever possible on the door panel (cut to shape with scissors) and use sticky bits of Windo-Weld to prevent loose parts from rattling. Here are products I've used successfully to eliminate door rattles on an A4:

Noico 80 mil sound deadening mat
Noico Metal Barrel Roller Installation Tool
3M Windo-Weld Round Ribbon Sealer

For an Audi door, you'll probably need a screwdriver with a selection of star bits in various sizes. When reassembling the door panel, be sure to securely connect the door handle cable to the door panel. You have to fasten the end of the cable to the door pull and secure the cable housing to the door panel, otherwise the door pull won't work.

#12 ·
I have found dealers to be unhelpful when it comes to diagnosing or correcting rattles. But if a rattle is coming from inside the door, it may be easy to fix yourself. Search YouTube for door panel removal instructions for your model. You will have to disconnect a couple of electrical connectors and the cable for the door handle, but door panels are designed to be easily removed so it shouldn't be difficult.

Once you have the door panel off, tighten all fasteners that can be tightened, apply Dynamat or similar product wherever possible on the door panel (cut to shape with scissors) and use sticky bits of Windo-Weld to prevent loose parts from rattling. Here are products I've used successfully:

Noico 80 mil sound deadening mat
Noico Metal Barrel Roller Installation Tool
3M Windo-Weld Round Ribbon Sealer

For an Audi door, you'll probably need a screwdriver with a selection of star bits in various sizes. When reassembling the door panel, be sure to securely connect the door handle cable to the door panel. You have to fasten the end of the cable to the door pull and secure the cable housing to the door panel, otherwise the door pull won't work.
Goodness, if I was not paying close attention, I would have thought that I had stumbled into a Peugeot or Jaguar forum.

#11 ·
For door rattles on the Taycan, this solution worked

#13 ·
I have a similar issue with rattling or vibrating from the passenger door. With my wife's assistance, I've narrowed it down to the plastic pocket moulding at the bottom of the door. It is usually prevalent when there is music playing, my wife puts her hand on the moulding and it stops....takes her hand off and it starts rattling/vibrating again. On and off. I have my first service next month so hopefully they will address it. The only other noise I notice is from the steering wheel, it's almost like a vibration or a humming. Intermittent, and can't really tie it to any specifc incident. In the winter, I thought it usually hummed right after using the heated steering wheel.
Lastly, has anyone else experienced this? I used the front seat cooling just once this summer and now every time I get into the car, the seat cooling is automatically on! Even if I turn it off before I shut off the car. Very weird, yet it won't memorize the regeneration.....

#24 ·
Haven't got my GT yet but this is certainly a symptom of my B9 S4 with the B&O stock system fitted, has done it from day one at moderate levels, EQ set neutral not much '3D' surround added and seemed (weirdly) to be temperature dependent.

Hope they find a remedy for yours, and hope to god mine doesn't come with the same problem as the S4 (it has done my head in for the last 4 years despite various recalls, deadening material and warranty funded visits to the dealership in an attempt to cure it)

#20 ·
This is build quality and or design issues. The Audi GT has been out for over a year now, is now a $120k car and hearing this has seriously made me ready to drop my year old order, as I still don’t have a build date. I test drove a 2022 I-Pace and it was great and 2/3 the GT price. The GT doesn’t seem worth the price

#25 ·
I drove a demo car (probably had a build date around march 2021), that had a rattling door pocket just a described here. And a buzzing sound coming from the dashboard (passenger side) actually came from the front visor, hope this helps.

I would describe mine as rattle-free but that's not true, it's like that 99.7% of the time. Sometimes a buzz or creak can occur if you drive of a cliff, honestly mostly in rare conditions. The Audi A6 (C7) I once owned was slightly better in this regard, it felt like it couldn't squeak at all.

#26 ·
So my RS had been at the dealer since Tuesday for the annual service, investigate why I don't have Android Auto wireless (it was a mid-year upgrade, mine is 03/21 build) and the mysterious passenger door rattle that stops if you touch the pocket or the armrest.

At first they couldn't reproduce the rattle but I gave them two song titles that easily reproduced it. Note that I'm not talking about playing the music at excessive levels, just normal listening volume. They removed and reinstalled the door panel 8 times adding more and more tape to it and the rattle remained. They contacted Audi USA and they're going to replace the door panel with another one. You'd think that for a 2022 RS e-tron GT with Y1 package (red stitching) finding a panel would be a long shot but it turns out that another dealer 30 miles away happened to have one in stock (I have no idea how/why). So they're shipping the panel over and hopefully they'll replace it tomorrow and eliminate the rattle for good.

I did mention to the service advisor that there are a few people online complaining about the exact same door exact same situation. He recommended that they all contact their dealer so it becomes a known issue with a TSB. He also confirmed that they only get paid for about an hour of time but fortunately for me at my dealer only the lead techs are allowed to work on the RS and since they're all busy it was the actual shop foreman who's doing it and they're on salary so the time invested was a bit less of a concern than it would have been otherwise.

It seems like everything on this car is a three day process so it's a good thing to have a spare car while you're waiting for yours to get fixed, even if it's just a door rattle. At least my dealer is thorough and willing to get to the bottom of it instead of telling me to pound sand so I'm grateful for that.

#31 · (Edited)
It does not. The tech had to migrate a bunch of stuff from the old panel to the new panel.

Did they identify a part in the door panel was defective?
They couldn't. So after consulting with Audi directly they replaced the panel. But the service manager told me to encourage others to report as it could have been a bad batch of door panels.

For the record mine is a 4/21 build date car with the Y1 package with carbon, dynamica, leather, and red stitching on the panel.

#33 ·
Car is now scheduled to go in on 8/11. Dash pad at the heads up area buzzes, passenger and rear passenger door panels have buzzing at various speeds. Overall the car is far from being tight and buttoned down. My Cadillac Blackwing 5 and Corvette are rock solid, which amazes me. The wife's Cayenne Turbo is also like a vault. I am going to give the dealership a shot at fixing it... Drove a Taycan 4s demo and it was super quiet and tight.

#34 ·
We are on Taycan #2 and they are seemingly made from a single piece of granite! They are bank vault solid and have been 100% reliable! Kind of sad that Porsche and VW seem to have much higher quality than Audi. What a fall from grace, as Audi used to be the benchmark!

#38 · (Edited)
Took delivery of a new GT about two weeks ago. Love the car. Range has proven to be better than expected, super fun to drive, WAY better than my Tesla X.
On the bad side... rattles. I have several annoying rattles coming from the car. Rear passenger area, center console, dashboard.

Attempting to get it in to service at my dealer. I did call and got the famous "your the first person to have this problem" and "we don't typically chase down buzzes and rattles".
Just checking to see if anyone else has had an issue. Thank you in advance
Thank goodness, I'm not alone. I just took delivery of a 2022 GT Prestige about 4 weeks ago and after 4-5 days the interior rattles presented. I have a rattle in each front door panel, the rear right door panel, and the instrument cluster pod. It's progressively getting works and it's driving me berserk!

My dealer wants to blame it on the guys that wrapped my car and thus charge me vs it being a warranty repair, but I'm trying to explain that the rattles presented two weeks before the car was ever wrapped. Additionally, what does wrapping the car have to do with the instrument cluster pod??

Unfortunately I didn't report it to the dealer before wrapping because I thought maybe when the car got wrapped that maybe things would get tightened up when the door panels were re-installed, but that didn't happen.

The rattles are from the interior door panel arm rests. A slight squeeze on them, or slight pressure pushing them towards the door quiets them right down.

I looked for screw/bolt access panels to try and tighten them up, but all the bolts for the arm rest must be from the other side.

Sucks!

This is our 7th EV. We were in the Tesla camp at first, but gave up on the build issues after owning 5 of them. We then bought an e-tron 55 Prestige in 2020, which so far is our favorite, most predictable, solid and reliable EV yet!

We've owned numerous Audis and can quite honestly say they've been solid and reliable, so I'm quite surprised and a bit disappointed in our GT, as rattles and creaks have not been our only issue.

#49 ·
I get that. I've already reached out to a dealer that's 2 hrs away from me as well, vs my local dealer which is about 20minutes away. Mainly just to have another resource in the event i need something more serious.

My local dealer first of all only has one e-tron certified tech, and they tend to not do anything if that guy is unavailable, regardless of wether it's an EV related issue or not. Lastly, they also don't seem to have much interest in dealing with e-tron vehicles, especially the one certified e-tron tech they have.

The dealer that's a couple of hours away has 3 e-tron certified techs and seem to have quicker turn-around times.