Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably going to sound pretty weird -- how do I know if I have a real order or not? I got an emailed promise of an E-tron GT at MSRP from the dealer's "internet sales" guy, but I when I went in (on his day off) the on-duty sales manager was very obviously not happy about selling at MSRP (they're marking up $10-20k), but he completed the online "build" for me with my specs, and then begrudgingly added a note on the printout of that "order" that said that the internet salesman said that this was an MSRP order, and then took my credit card for a $1000 deposit. I then left the dealership with that printed "order", believing that, someday in the next several months, I'll be picking up my 2023 GT.

BUT...two weeks later & I can't shake the feeling that they're never going to follow thru on this "sale" -- that whenever they receive one of their few "allotted" GTs, they'll just sell it to the first person that gives them their $10k or $20k over MSRP -- and I'll never even know. I mean, why sell to me & lose many thousands, especially when they get just a limited number of these cars?

So, long story just a bit longer -- I welcome any and all comments and advice on this. Is there something in particular I should have gotten in writing? Am I being too naive? Am I being too cynical? Let me know your thoughts, please.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,342 Posts
What you have equates to a legally non-binding verbal agreement of sale, nothing more. Come to actual pickup, do not be surprised when the paperwork value is higher. Dealerships are allowed to adjust and mark up prices between the order time and delivery time, and there is nothing you can do, really. Do not like the new price, do not pick the car up - they know pretty well they will sell it anyway.
With the new EV tax refunds rules, this might take a bit longer to sell, but still plenty of people eager to get EV wheels these days.
The only way to guarantee the delivery price would be bring your own lawyer and have an actual purchase contract drawn and signed by GM of the dealership. Good luck getting that pulled off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you have equates to a legally non-binding verbal agreement of sale, nothing more. Come to actual pickup, do not be surprised when the paperwork value is higher. Dealerships are allowed to adjust and mark up prices between the order time and delivery time, and there is nothing you can do, really. Do not like the new price, do not pick the car up - they know pretty well they will sell it anyway.
With the new EV tax refunds rules, this might take a bit longer to sell, but still plenty of people eager to get EV wheels these days.
The only way to guarantee the delivery price would be bring your own lawyer and have an actual purchase contract drawn and signed by GM of the dealership. Good luck getting that pulled off.
I appreciate your reply and info. I guess I should have added that I'm less concerned about price (altho, admittedly that's very important to me) than I am about actually getting the car I want. I mean, I'd never tell the dealer this until/unless I had to, but I'd be willing to negotiate a price if they presented me with the exact car I want. But at this point I don't even know if I can reasonably expect that to happen.

For instance, let's say they get allocated 10 GTs. Are they going to spec-out one that I requested, and risk me not taking delivery and possibly sitting on the lot because it's not a configuration anyone else wants? Or will they play it safe and order only the most popular configurations?

I guess, again, what it comes down to is...is my order going to be taken seriously? And if not, what's a better way to get an order in? (Short of taking a lawyer in with me.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I appreciate your reply and info. I guess I should have added that I'm less concerned about price (altho, admittedly that's very important to me) than I am about actually getting the car I want. I mean, I'd never tell the dealer this until/unless I had to, but I'd be willing to negotiate a price if they presented me with the exact car I want. But at this point I don't even know if I can reasonably expect that to happen.

For instance, let's say they get allocated 10 GTs. Are they going to spec-out one that I requested, and risk me not taking delivery and possibly sitting on the lot because it's not a configuration anyone else wants? Or will they play it safe and order only the most popular configurations?

I guess, again, what it comes down to is...is my order going to be taken seriously? And if not, what's a better way to get an order in? (Short of taking a lawyer in with me.)
When I "really" want the car, I leave the price discussion "open" till the car shows up. As stated,... an order is just a verbal order, there is nothing that holds the dealer to any price that was discussed. In a normal world... dealers were always happy to honor the price discussed with an order because it equated to a quick sale when the car came in. These days, dealers have all the power. Even Rivian won't guarantee the price when you place an order today (and wait possibly years to get your truck.) They did (to keep people happy) walk back the most recent price increases for the people who ordered very early, but if you order today, the price is not set and it won't be till your truck arrives.

If you REALLY want your car today you can start searching dealer inventory for one that matches... and you might get lucky. I had an etronS on order (at a 'promised' MSRP price) and it was taking forever to get them. I started searching and found a few perfect matches that were built and inbound. A few dealers wanted $10-$20k ADM... but I found a dealer in South Caroline who doesn't believe in ADM... and they were happy to sell the car for MSRP, so I jumped on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is probably going to sound pretty weird -- how do I know if I have a real order or not? I got an emailed promise of an E-tron GT at MSRP from the dealer's "internet sales" guy, but I when I went in (on his day off) the on-duty sales manager was very obviously not happy about selling at MSRP (they're marking up $10-20k), but he completed the online "build" for me with my specs, and then begrudgingly added a note on the printout of that "order" that said that the internet salesman said that this was an MSRP order, and then took my credit card for a $1000 deposit. I then left the dealership with that printed "order", believing that, someday in the next several months, I'll be picking up my 2023 GT.

BUT...two weeks later & I can't shake the feeling that they're never going to follow thru on this "sale" -- that whenever they receive one of their few "allotted" GTs, they'll just sell it to the first person that gives them their $10k or $20k over MSRP -- and I'll never even know. I mean, why sell to me & lose many thousands, especially when they get just a limited number of these cars?

So, long story just a bit longer -- I welcome any and all comments and advice on this. Is there something in particular I should have gotten in writing? Am I being too naive? Am I being too cynical? Let me know your thoughts, please.
I’m not so sure about there being no agreement. But without a lawsuit, if they really don’t want to sell it to you, they won’t. I ordered an e-Tron S Sportback fully loaded. Picked it up yesterday. Was wondering the whole time if they’d actually sell it to me. It is the only one in all of Texas, and apparently one of only a few in the entire US. They could probably have made a small fortune selling it.
When I "really" want the car, I leave the price discussion "open" till the car shows up. As stated,... an order is just a verbal order, there is nothing that holds the dealer to any price that was discussed. In a normal world... dealers were always happy to honor the price discussed with an order because it equated to a quick sale when the car came in. These days, dealers have all the power. Even Rivian won't guarantee the price when you place an order today (and wait possibly years to get your truck.) They did (to keep people happy) walk back the most recent price increases for the people who ordered very early, but if you order today, the price is not set and it won't be till your truck arrives.

If you REALLY want your car today you can start searching dealer inventory for one that matches... and you might get lucky. I had an etronS on order (at a 'promised' MSRP price) and it was taking forever to get them. I started searching and found a few perfect matches that were built and inbound. A few dealers wanted $10-$20k ADM... but I found a dealer in South Caroline who doesn't believe in ADM... and they were happy to sell the car for MSRP, so I jumped on it.
Did you get an e-Tron S? I have an e-Tron S Sportback in the garage. Special ordered it at the beginning of the year and picked it up yesterday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I "really" want the car, I leave the price discussion "open" till the car shows up.
Good point. I guess I had it in my mind that I had been given a promise of a "good deal" (MSRP) and I wanted to be sure I held them to that. I didn't really consider that they'd renege on the deal when the car arrived. I mean, you know, car salesmen being so honest and trustworthy, right? ;-)

You made several good points, so thanks for that. My problem is, for this money, I want the car to be exactly the way I want it, and I'm having a hard time just finding any Prestige, let alone one that has the colors and packages I want -- and without the one I don't that adds many thou$ands. We'll see...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not so sure about there being no agreement. But without a lawsuit, if they really don’t want to sell it to you, they won’t. I ordered an e-Tron S Sportback fully loaded. Picked it up yesterday. Was wondering the whole time if they’d actually sell it to me. It is the only one in all of Texas, and apparently one of only a few in the entire US. They could probably have made a small fortune selling it.

Did you get an e-Tron S? I have an e-Tron S Sportback in the garage. Special ordered it at the beginning of the year and picked it up yesterday.
Did you pay ADM?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With interest payments going up fast I wouldn’t be surprised if you get a call sooner than later to come pick up your new get
Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath. I see nothing but bad news when it comes to supply chain issues, the latest being the fact that thousands of E-trons are sitting at the factory, totally assembled but waiting for 12volt batteries that Audi can't source. So, we'll see if mine arrives while I'm still above ground...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts