Audi E-Tron Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just picked up our etron. Wondering about charging options at home and whether i need to upgrade to 240 for our daily charging needs and what charger (if any) you all recommend.

Is the included one enough? I would like to keep it in the car but would like the convenience of having a charger at home.

Many options on the market but not sure which is better or worth it.

i appreciate your feedback and thanks for having me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Home charger

I bought the JuiceBox Pro 40 a few weeks ago and it appears to be well-built, easy to install(for the electrician) and the app works well. I didn't want to keep moving the Audi charger for the car to the wall. The JuiceBox charges a lot quicker too.

It's easy to program if you want to time shift charging to off-peak hours. That's one of the reasons I bought it, but then found out my electric utility company's off-peak plan doubles the day rate to discount the off-peak rate. I don't have anything else in my home that would benefit for the lower night rate, so I didn't go on the plan. They told me they were going to be upgrading their system to provide complete energy usage by the hour to customers in a few months so I would able to see exactly what the charging is costing me.

Loving my e-tron! Going on three weeks gas-free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the information!

I am in the same situation, i want to keep the factory one in the car. That charger looks well built! Going to order one.

cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I go the ChargePoint Charger on Amazon. They have a Plug in Version so when I move I take the wall charger with me without leaving a whole in the wall..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Home Charging

I had installed a 240v outlet in the garage and am using the charger Audi provides. Works perfectly well. For me, following the Audi guideline of not charging until the battery is below 50% and limiting the max charge to 80%, I find I only need to charge it every 3 or 4 days. The Audi charger is quick to set up and disconnect if I feel I might need it on the road. Most likely, if I didn't use it at home, it would never be used! Quite a waste of money!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use the Audi Charger

It is a definite advantage to install a 240 charger plug at home. I use the one supplied by Audi, but the ChargePoint would work well also. But make sure that you get the NEMA 14-50 plug. They offer both, but the NEMA 14-50 plug is the most recent technology. The plug for the Audi charger is a NEMA 14-50 plug. I do most of my charging at home - just plug it in at night and charge in the off-peak hours. The ChargePoint (and many others) allow you to use your phone to see the state of charge and to set up the charge timers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Charging

You definitely want to install 240. Most utilities offer some cost sharing for the installation as well as a charger. I’m just using the charger provided. It also provides timer settings, etc. The only time I take the charger is out of town trips which is infrequent. While I do love my E Tron, would be better with another 100 miles of range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some extra help from the US Feds

2020 might be a good year to install that 240V EV charger here in the USA. Congress just re-passed an expired tax credit for installing a home EV charger - a 30% tax credit up to $1000. The typical charger + 220V line is about $800 - $1200, so you would get a tax credit of $240 - $360 payment on your 2020 tax return. It passed in December, so you can get the credit for the 2019 tax year. My install was a $1000, so I'm looking at extra $300 plus the $7500 for buying the e-tron. Doing my taxes early this year!

By the way, check out your utility company for any rebates. My little village run electric company gives up to a $250 cash rebate for installing a home EV charger

Going on 4 weeks gas-free!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an Etron that I’m picking up tomorrow. I’m also moving in a month and don’t want to spend the money on 240 in my garage. I have a laundry room with an unused dryer outlet next to the garage. Will I be able to charge from there with the charger which comes with the car? Figure it’s close enough for a 15 foot cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, just picked up our etron. Wondering about charging options at home and whether i need to upgrade to 240 for our daily charging needs and what charger (if any) you all recommend.

Is the included one enough? I would like to keep it in the car but would like the convenience of having a charger at home.

Many options on the market but not sure which is better or worth it.

i appreciate your feedback and thanks for having me!
Check with your electrical company about getting a free or greatly reduced price home 240 volt charger. I’m in Colorado and Holy Cross Energy gives you, yes gives you totally free a 240 ChargePoint charger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts