Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just picked up our etron. Wondering about charging options at home and whether i need to upgrade to 240 for our daily charging needs and what charger (if any) you all recommend.

Is the included one enough? I would like to keep it in the car but would like the convenience of having a charger at home.

Many options on the market but not sure which is better or worth it.

i appreciate your feedback and thanks for having me!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Home charger

I bought the JuiceBox Pro 40 a few weeks ago and it appears to be well-built, easy to install(for the electrician) and the app works well. I didn't want to keep moving the Audi charger for the car to the wall. The JuiceBox charges a lot quicker too.

It's easy to program if you want to time shift charging to off-peak hours. That's one of the reasons I bought it, but then found out my electric utility company's off-peak plan doubles the day rate to discount the off-peak rate. I don't have anything else in my home that would benefit for the lower night rate, so I didn't go on the plan. They told me they were going to be upgrading their system to provide complete energy usage by the hour to customers in a few months so I would able to see exactly what the charging is costing me.

Loving my e-tron! Going on three weeks gas-free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the information!

I am in the same situation, i want to keep the factory one in the car. That charger looks well built! Going to order one.

cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I go the ChargePoint Charger on Amazon. They have a Plug in Version so when I move I take the wall charger with me without leaving a whole in the wall..

·
Registered
773 Posts
Home Charging

I had installed a 240v outlet in the garage and am using the charger Audi provides. Works perfectly well. For me, following the Audi guideline of not charging until the battery is below 50% and limiting the max charge to 80%, I find I only need to charge it every 3 or 4 days. The Audi charger is quick to set up and disconnect if I feel I might need it on the road. Most likely, if I didn't use it at home, it would never be used! Quite a waste of money!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use the Audi Charger

It is a definite advantage to install a 240 charger plug at home. I use the one supplied by Audi, but the ChargePoint would work well also. But make sure that you get the NEMA 14-50 plug. They offer both, but the NEMA 14-50 plug is the most recent technology. The plug for the Audi charger is a NEMA 14-50 plug. I do most of my charging at home - just plug it in at night and charge in the off-peak hours. The ChargePoint (and many others) allow you to use your phone to see the state of charge and to set up the charge timers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Charging

You definitely want to install 240. Most utilities offer some cost sharing for the installation as well as a charger. I’m just using the charger provided. It also provides timer settings, etc. The only time I take the charger is out of town trips which is infrequent. While I do love my E Tron, would be better with another 100 miles of range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some extra help from the US Feds

2020 might be a good year to install that 240V EV charger here in the USA. Congress just re-passed an expired tax credit for installing a home EV charger - a 30% tax credit up to $1000. The typical charger + 220V line is about $800 - $1200, so you would get a tax credit of $240 - $360 payment on your 2020 tax return. It passed in December, so you can get the credit for the 2019 tax year. My install was a $1000, so I'm looking at extra $300 plus the $7500 for buying the e-tron. Doing my taxes early this year!

By the way, check out your utility company for any rebates. My little village run electric company gives up to a $250 cash rebate for installing a home EV charger

Going on 4 weeks gas-free!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an Etron that I’m picking up tomorrow. I’m also moving in a month and don’t want to spend the money on 240 in my garage. I have a laundry room with an unused dryer outlet next to the garage. Will I be able to charge from there with the charger which comes with the car? Figure it’s close enough for a 15 foot cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, just picked up our etron. Wondering about charging options at home and whether i need to upgrade to 240 for our daily charging needs and what charger (if any) you all recommend.

Is the included one enough? I would like to keep it in the car but would like the convenience of having a charger at home.

Many options on the market but not sure which is better or worth it.

i appreciate your feedback and thanks for having me!
Check with your electrical company about getting a free or greatly reduced price home 240 volt charger. I’m in Colorado and Holy Cross Energy gives you, yes gives you totally free a 240 ChargePoint charger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just got a new e-tron SUV (FL) and I have a 240 V dryer outlet in our garage. Can I just get an adapter so that the onboard charging cable that comes with the car can plug directly into the dryer outlet?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
We just got a new e-tron SUV (FL) and I have a 240 V dryer outlet in our garage. Can I just get an adapter so that the onboard charging cable that comes with the car can plug directly into the dryer outlet?
Yes. You'll just need an adapter for whatever connection your dryer has, such as NEMA 14-30P, for example. The included charger is NEMA 14-50P. Do note that charger can only do 100% (40A) or 50% (20A) when connected to 240V. And you want to allow for about 20% overhead for the outlet.

So if you have a 50A breaker, you'd set the charger for 40A. If it's a 30A breaker (common for Dryers), that would technically be 24A. But since there are only two settings, you'd need to drop down to 20A on the charger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. You'll just need an adapter for whatever connection your dryer has, such as NEMA 14-30P, for example. The included charger is NEMA 14-50P. Do note that charger can only do 100% (40A) or 50% (20A) when connected to 240V. And you want to allow for about 20% overhead for the outlet.

So if you have a 50A breaker, you'd set the charger for 40A. If it's a 30A breaker (common for Dryers), that would technically be 24A. But since there are only two settings, you'd need to drop down to 20A on the charger.
Thanks - I appreciate the help. We’re loving the e-tron but surprised that neither the dealership nor the national audi 800# were able to answer my pretty fundamental question. I guess they’re relatively new to this and will get up to speed over time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts