Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
e tron gt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be one for the dealer. My GT went in for the HUD software update last week, and the SatNav now works properly with the HUD. However while it was at the dealer they gave me an Audi e-tron 55 on loan and thing I noticed most was how much more effective the energy recuperation was compared to mine.

I'm used to using the paddles on the steering column and one press on the 55 gave noticeable deceleration, two presses was like changing down to a low gear in an internal combustion engine whicle while three presses would bring the car pretty much to a standstill.

However, three presses on the GT barely registers on the recuperation gauge. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this or complained about it or perhaps it's just mine??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is this true of the braking recuperation as well? I just got a new GT, coming from a ‘19 etron 55. And the braking recuperation seemed much greater, at least as indicated on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
e tron gt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I drove the loan car (55) it had about 3,500 miles on the clock and as I said in my opening discussion the braking recuperation and braking effect was much greater - but, as Ps702 said, it may be because I'm still in the break-in period. I'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Apologies, I meant braking with the brake pedal, not the paddles. I’m experiencing the same thing with the paddles, but also noticed when braking with my foot the recuperation appears much lower than in my etron suv.

·
Registered
e tron gt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, not much with paddles or foot brake but it may be early days so I'll see if it improves over the next month or so - otherwise another visit to the dealer:( I also had a Q3 hybrid on loan four months ago and the recuperation on that was also very good..

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The GT has a pretty extended "break-in" period for the ceramic brakes, meaning no recup is applied when pressing the brakes, I think, for something like 500mi+. The Quattro 55 has no such initial break-in period, but, you might notice, regularly, when you start out, the car will not use any recup for the first couple of braking events in order to clean off the brake pads. The GT does the same thing after your break-in period ends. Regarding the paddles on the GT and Quattro, ALL braking (after break-in period on the GT) is pretty much by recuperation--when you first press the brake pedal, the car applies recup until you hard press on the pedal. The paddles serve to transfer a portion of the recuperation mode from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal to give you some "lift-off" slowing of the car, as you ease up on the accelerator pedal. At the lowest "coast" paddle setting all recup resides in the brake pedal: the car first applies recup (after your break-in period on the GT) as you press the brake pedal and only applies the mechanical brakes when you do a full hard press on the brake. I don't know about the GT, but perhaps the degree of recup shift via the paddle shifters is also reduced during the break-in period.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Ps702 - That would be fantastic news! Do you have personal experience with this? Or some other source? From everything I've read (manual, tons of online reviews) it's 'by design' from Audi engineering to emulate ICE vs leaning towards one pedal driving and most have commented how there's very little distinction between the adjustments via paddles. Hopefully that's just because the majority of videos I've run across are early reviews, ie low miles?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The regen in Audis are considerably less than other EVs, they certainly aren’t one pedal driving and they don’t claim to be

I have read elsewhere that the break in period does have lesser regen than you may otherwise expect. Give it a few ‘000 mile and see what happens. But, it’s never going to be strong. And. That’s fine by me. I don’t want the car to slow lots every time I take my foot off the pedal.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Teslas and etrons are very different in how they handle recup. In a Tesla ALL recup is held in the Accelerator pedal 100% of the time. The brake pedal is purely a mechanical brake. In the Audis the recup is distributed between the brake (when you press down) and the accelerator (when you lift up) pedals. The paddle shifters let you change the % distribution between the pedals. Overall, the Audi recup is not really "less" than that of the tesla, it's just handled better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don’t think this is anything to do with break-in! I like you had been given an Audi EUV while the GT was getting bugs fixed and the recoup was something else, the GT I personally think that in the auto sense - it doesn’t work, it’s non-comparable to the other

·
Registered
243 Posts
While I can not compare to the other Audi’s, my RS GT definately had its recuperation strength get better over time.

Now, two clicks on the left paddle is a very noticeable increase in recoup.

Coming from a Tesla, its still not nearly one pedal driving, however I honestly have grown to prefer the Audi method of using recuperation when hitting the brake pedal rather than actually applying the brake.

Another thing I am really loving is absolutely ZERO brake dust anywhere on the wheels or calipers, thought I am not sure if that is more a factor of ceramic brakes as I have never had them before. Really nice not having to clean the wheels all the time! They still look brand new.

·
Registered
e tron gt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don’t think this is anything to do with break-in! I like you had been given an Audi EUV while the GT was getting bugs fixed and the recoup was something else, the GT I personally think that in the auto sense - it doesn’t work, it’s non-comparable to the other
I'm pretty light on the brakes so I'll give it another 1k miles to properly bed in before I check with the dealer..but at least with ceramic brakes there's no brake dust:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts