Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
e-tron GT Vorsprung Kemora Grey
120 Posts
Regen with paddles hasn't changed over time with mine, they worked from day 1 the same way they do now...you will notice a regen limit if you're at high states of charge, above 90% though showing on the power meter and you can feel lower deceleration then too.

Regen under braking took around 1500 miles to activate for me. This is mentioned in the manual, a bedding in period, and the time this takes seems to vary based upon driving style. Once this happens you will notice it for sure as all that initial travel of the brake pedal that seemingly does nothing becomes the regen section if that makes sense...the brakes become much more sensitive and grabby. You will also see braking represented on the power meter. As the GT has such a large amount of regen possible (270kw), you may not see the same % level on the power meter as on the regular etron.
Once you've passed this point, every 'cold start' of the car will leave you without regen under braking for the first several brake applications...this is to remove rust/dirt from the brakes. Paddle regen functions normally during this period and is when I use them most.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Regen with paddles hasn't changed over time with mine, they worked from day 1 the same way they do now...you will notice a regen limit if you're at high states of charge, above 90% though showing on the power meter and you can feel lower deceleration then too.

Regen under braking took around 1500 miles to activate for me. This is mentioned in the manual, a bedding in period, and the time this takes seems to vary based upon driving style. Once this happens you will notice it for sure as all that initial travel of the brake pedal that seemingly does nothing becomes the regen section if that makes sense...the brakes become much more sensitive and grabby. You will also see braking represented on the power meter. As the GT has such a large amount of regen possible (270kw), you may not see the same % level on the power meter as on the regular etron.
Once you've passed this point, every 'cold start' of the car will leave you without regen under braking for the first several brake applications...this is to remove rust/dirt from the brakes. Paddle regen functions normally during this period and is when I use them most.
Did you notice a significant jump in the efficiency of the car once the regen started working with the brake pedal?

·
Registered
e-tron GT Vorsprung Kemora Grey
120 Posts
Did you notice a significant jump in the efficiency of the car once the regen started working with the brake pedal?
I can't say I did at the time as it was going into winter then. Now that the weather is similar to when I first got the car I do notice that it is significantly more efficient. I'd get max 2.7 miles/kwh when it was new, now I can regularly get 3.2 - 3.5 miles/kwh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 10k miles on mine. The regen has always been moderate at best, regardless of mileage. I know Tesla, Mustang, and I’m sure others have more but I’m fine with it. To me it makes for a more familiar performance profile.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have 10k miles on mine. The regen has always been moderate at best, regardless of mileage. I know Tesla, Mustang, and I’m sure others have more but I’m fine with it. To me it makes for a more familiar performance profile.
"Tesla, Mustang, and I’m sure others DO NOT have more!" On your GT, once you pass the brake "bedding period" when you apply the brake pedal you are being slowed by regen (instead of getting it when you lift off the accelerator pedal).

·
Registered
507 Posts
"Tesla, Mustang, and I’m sure others DO NOT have more!" On your GT, once you pass the brake "bedding period" when you apply the brake pedal you are being slowed by regen (instead of getting it when you lift off the accelerator pedal).
J1 has the one of the highest Regen on any EV. It's just not 1 pedal like Tesla, Mach E, Hyundai

Tesla gets 50kw of Regen on braking, J1 265kw.
The amount is about as high as the charging speeds.

E-Tron GT has multiple modes of Regen that are not as aggressive as 1 pedal, but give you less coasting

·
Registered
125 Posts
What @Ps702 said above. There is a big difference between discussing regen braking and one pedal driving. Do not confuse the lack of one for the lack of the other.

J1 platform choose to forego the one pedal driving experience and, in my opinion, rightfully so. I never bought into one pedal driving, I think it was a technological necessity of the early EVs that could not solve the brake/regen mixing with the brake pedal and had to couple regen braking with the accelerator pedal instead. They sold it as a feature rather than a bug. I personally think it's a horrid design that should not be applauded nor expected.

With the J1 platform Porsche and Audi created something truly remarkable where the regen and brake are blended so well that the driver can't tell which mode of deceleration is being used at any moment, and quite frankly the driver shouldn't care. The accelerator pedal accelerates the care the decelerator pedal slows the car down. What method is being utilized is inconsequential. Using the same pedal for both acceleration and deceleration, especially adjusting deceleration forces by how much you're letting go of the pedal will never have the same level of control and ability as pushing on a brake pedal does.

I had friends test drive my e-tron and they all commented on just how natural the brake pedal feels and how they can't tell when, if any, mixing takes place. I also like the two levels of coasting recuperation that the car offers, I find them very natural and akin to engine braking in an ICE car where I don't need to use the brake pedal for casual coasting with traffic or downhill.

The only gripe I have with the system is that the mode does not get saved with a restart and because of this I never really get a chance to try out the automatic recuperation mode that ideally would take the surroundings into account just how much recuperation to apply. That feature would really resonate with me but as the setting is implemented today, it's garbage.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The only gripe I have with the system is that the mode does not get saved with a restart and because of this I never really get a chance to try out the automatic recuperation mode that ideally would take the surroundings into account just how much recuperation to apply. That feature would really resonate with me but as the setting is implemented today, it's garbage.
In the Etron Quattro, the Manual or Automatic paddle setting is saved (it's just that the car will always start up in Coast paddle setting). I can't help but think this problem with saving it in the GT is a software defect. Of course the Quattro in on the MLB-evo platform. The braking scheme Audi uses was developed by Bosch.

·
Registered
507 Posts
In the Etron Quattro, the Manual or Automatic paddle setting is saved (it's just that the car will always start up in Coast paddle setting). I can't help but think this problem with saving it in the GT is a software defect. Of course the Quattro in on the MLB-evo platform. The braking scheme Audi uses was developed by Bosch.
I believe paddle setting not being saved should have something to do with WLTP as this affects efficiency. Same reason drive mode defaults to Comfort on start up

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only gripe I have with the system is that the mode does not get saved with a restart (..)
Firstly, thx for taking your time to explain the system since there's definitely an opportunity to mix things up and get confused.

My only gripe is that the car has this powerful regen braking available, but only allows a small portion of regen braking to play with using the paddles "shifters". Having the paddles is actually already a very nice feature (surprisingly, the Taycan doesn't have it, and that supposed to be the more driver focussed car...).

I can't tell you how often I control the paddles -as if I'm downshifting an ICE car- to increase the regen braking momentarily. Although it doesn't make any sense, I know the "one-pedal" regen is limited, I still instinctively pull it 2, 3, 4 times to get more ... till the point I realize the regen won't be enough for the situation, and then I use the brakes.

It would be absolutely perfect to have a set of have 6 regen settings, just to allow more.
(And from the 4th setting, the brake lights should enable automatically, for example)

As it is right now, the regen braking is sort of comparable with engine braking on an ICE car. I really think they didn't went further with this because of less driver focussed clientele that could get confused and screw things up. It's a shame really, since I would think you could use the MMI to enable more regen braking as an users choice.

Having said that, time probably was their biggest constraint in getting this car to the market. Maybe on the next E-tron...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Firstly, thx for taking your time to explain the system since there's definitely an opportunity to mix things up and get confused.

My only gripe is that the car has this powerful regen braking available, but only allows a small portion of regen braking to play with using the paddles "shifters". Having the paddles is actually already a very nice feature (surprisingly, the Taycan doesn't have it, and that supposed to be the more driver focussed car...).

I can't tell you how often I control the paddles -as if I'm downshifting an ICE car- to increase the regen braking momentarily. Although it doesn't make any sense, I know the "one-pedal" regen is limited, I still instinctively pull it 2, 3, 4 times to get more ... till the point I realize the regen won't be enough for the situation, and then I use the brakes.

It would be absolutely perfect to have a set of have 6 regen settings, just to allow more.
(And from the 4th setting, the brake lights should enable automatically, for example)

As it is right now, the regen braking is sort of comparable with engine braking on an ICE car. I really think they didn't went further with this because of less driver focussed clientele that could get confused and screw things up. It's a shame really, since I would think you could use the MMI to enable more regen braking as an users choice.

Having said that, time probably was their biggest constraint in getting this car to the market. Maybe on the next E-tron...
I like having just 2 settings on the paddles. I use them constantly and it would be a nightmare to have to click through multiple settings and keep track. I don't think Audi ever intended to have the paddles take you to One-Pedal driving. I use Coast, of course, to coast on open roads; I use the next (about 20% regen transfer?) to slow myself a bit going down hills etc.; the third setting I think of as "one-pedal lite": on local streets with 25MPH speed limits,etc, I car essentially control the car with one pedal--easing off for speed bumps, pedestrians, etc. In the Q4, there is a floor button you can press that will put you into Brake Mode--it is essentially true one-pedal driving. That is the better way to implement it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like having just 2 settings on the paddles. I use them constantly and it would be a nightmare to have to click through multiple settings and keep track. I don't think Audi ever intended to have the paddles take you to One-Pedal driving.
Why bother implementing such a feature halfway house? Somewhere in the MMI, they could've implemented an option to enable more for those who want it. You don't, but I do.

Switching through more than 2 regen modes is very easy imho, it's also clearly visualized by the Audi cockpit. Don't get me wrong, I'm no advocate for 'one-pedal-regen' like Tesla implemented it, but in certain conditions, typical European busy city traffic situations, it definitely could be useful from time to time. In no traffic conditions, coasting is easy having total control. But with others around you, you sometimes need to ease off only to find the current regen (most often) isn't enough. 5 seconds later I'm switching back to coasting, since that's my preferred mode as well. The paddles enable these quick changes, and I'm disappointed they didn't go a bit further with it.

My previous car had 3 gearbox modes in Auto. 3 modes in manual mode. 3 damper modes. 3 throttle modes. 3 steering modes. 3 traction control modes. You could program and recall settings via 2 individual modes. Being able to control these calibrations is the cherry on the cake for any enthousiast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This could be one for the dealer. My GT went in for the HUD software update last week, and the SatNav now works properly with the HUD. However while it was at the dealer they gave me an Audi e-tron 55 on loan and thing I noticed most was how much more effective the energy recuperation was compared to mine.

I'm used to using the paddles on the steering column and one press on the 55 gave noticeable deceleration, two presses was like changing down to a low gear in an internal combustion engine whicle while three presses would bring the car pretty much to a standstill.

However, three presses on the GT barely registers on the recuperation gauge. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this or complained about it or perhaps it's just mine??
My 55 tron only has the three settings, so pressing the paddle twice is all I get.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I use the paddles VERY dynamically and even with the 3 settings (Coast, 1, 2) I occasionally flip to the wrong setting. Putting on much stronger settings could lead to unintended consequences. I have no problem with the way a "strong" one-pedal (Audi terminology: Brake Mode) is impelmented on the Q4 etron (a foot button) . I dread to think what might happen if I accidentally flipped to a "brake mode" setting on the paddle shifters.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Why bother implementing such a feature halfway house? Somewhere in the MMI, they could've implemented an option to enable more for those who want it. You don't, but I do.

Switching through more than 2 regen modes is very easy imho, it's also clearly visualized by the Audi cockpit. Don't get me wrong, I'm no advocate for 'one-pedal-regen' like Tesla implemented it, but in certain conditions, typical European busy city traffic situations, it definitely could be useful from time to time. In no traffic conditions, coasting is easy having total control. But with others around you, you sometimes need to ease off only to find the current regen (most often) isn't enough. 5 seconds later I'm switching back to coasting, since that's my preferred mode as well. The paddles enable these quick changes, and I'm disappointed they didn't go a bit further with it.

My previous car had 3 gearbox modes in Auto. 3 modes in manual mode. 3 damper modes. 3 throttle modes. 3 steering modes. 3 traction control modes. You could program and recall settings via 2 individual modes. Being able to control these calibrations is the cherry on the cake for any enthousiast.
I wonder if further regen options might be an update further down the line? As you say would be nice to have the option of one pedal driving.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Even on the line I need to use the brake. The regen is not sufficient to hold it to a standstill. I need to use the hard press on the brake to lock them.
Again, it's not that regen is not sufficient, it's that the engineers chose to offer creep with a brake hold feature. This car behaves like an ICE car in many aspects of the drivetrain which to me just feels natural and makes perfect sense. Trying to make it out as a bad thing is not going to get you bonus points with me... If you're coming from a compromise like a Tesla that made you drink the cool-aid and sold you the limitations of their design as a must have feature you'll be disappointed with the way the engineers at Porsche went about designing the J1 platform. If you appreciate it from a driver's car perspective the way this car drives, handles and the controls work is truly incredible! If I sound a bit annoyed, that's 'cause I am with people whining that the e-tron GT drives like a car and not like an EV. To each their own...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Seriously doubt it. There is nothing about one pedal driving that makes sense if you're a real engineer and a real driver...
WTH you guy’s. Remember the good old gear stick? Releasing throttle meant engine braking. Depending in what gear, even more engine braking. Coasting isn’t the “real drivers” choice at all, downshifting and using engine braking is an art on itself. My opinion was to enable it as an option, in what way or form does that affect you. If you don’t like it, don’t use it.. but please, it’s not because you don’t want it, nobody can have it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts