Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We currently have 2018 Lexus RX450H F-Sport. While the build quality, reliability and service are the best, we are starting to get frustrated with the mileage we get (under 25mpg) and looking to move to Electric. Lexus is light years behind when it comes to releasing an all-electric car so we will be moving to a different brand (after owning 3 generations of RX). Being with Lexus for years, Tesla is out of question as we can't stand the poor fit and finish.

We recently bought R8 which we love for its quality and driving experience. This made us look at Etron. While we like the overall quality of R8, we are not fully aware of the quality, and reliability of ETron.

As an existing Etron owner, can you please share?

1) How reliable the car is? Do you think it requires frequent services and repairs?
2) How is the driving range? With recent software update, I hear the car can get up to 225 miles on a full charge. Do you really get it every time? (Lexus promised 30 mpg but we hardly get 25 mpg)
3) How is the charging network in California (especially SO cal), what about fast chargers?
4) Do you like the no-button interface?
5) How do you like the driving experience? I know it's not a sports car but is it fun to drive?

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am pretty happy with the build quality of my E-tron. Certainly, the nicest car I ever owned. But to answer your questions specifically:
1) The car has been pretty reliable with no major issues. Since mine is MY 2019, I had a few service campaigns and the tail light issue. But that did not render the car non-functional. I took the car on a road trip over the summer and it performed flawlessly. Even the charging was fast and easy.
2) During the warmer months of the year, I regularly exceed the EPA-rated range. In the winter (I am in the Midwest), it tends to be a little lower.
3) I am not in California but when I go there to visit relatives, it seems that there are quite a few more chargers than out here in the Midwest.
4) I do like the touch screens. The haptic feel tries to make it feel like a button but of course there is no feedback to blindly search for buttons. As for HVAC controls, I tend to be a "set it and forget it" type of person. So I usually do not need to use the screens that much. The way you can write letters on the lower screen to search for destinations is nice. There still are a few buttons, including the steering wheel controls.
5) I really like the way the car drives. It is very smooth and serene. The seats are very comfortable and the upper trim level comes with lots of adjustments. And the cooling and massage feature for the seats is nice and I do use that regularly as well.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I would add that when I first got my 2019MY, I used the MMI screen a LOT. However, I was always concerned that it was a little too distracting, requiring me to look away from the road. Over time I have trained myself more and more to use the levers and switches, like the good old days! Those will let you do a lot and are much less diverting.

·
Registered
213 Posts
1) Good. The car fell out with my home charger and needed a dealer reset. There have been niggles with the app but on the whole very good. No servicing required after just over a year
2) I'm going to make this my mantra - Range anxiety is something experienced by those who do not yet have an EV. We have a 50 and, despite the 'limited' range there have been no problems on the few occasions we've gone far.
3) We live in England and, in spite of what people say, the infrastructure's fine and improving
4) Upper screen, yes. Lower screen not so much (and on the e-tron GT they've gone back to physical buttons)
5) Very much, yes. Comfortable and easy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to make this my mantra - Range anxiety is something experienced by those who do not yet have an EV.
Good mantra!

I find it difficult to really grasp so called range anxiety. The GOM is so precise in the E-tron that when coupled with a sat-nav route you always know exactly how things stand regarding the need for additional charge before reaching your planned destination or en-route stop.

I suppose that it is always possible to get 'caught short' in some way but that is the same with cars running on dino-juice.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Good mantra!

I find it difficult to really grasp so called range anxiety. The GOM is so precise in the E-tron that when coupled with a sat-nav route you always know exactly how things stand regarding the need for additional charge before reaching your planned destination or en-route stop.

I suppose that it is always possible to get 'caught short' in some way but that is the same with cars running on dino-juice.
While it is true that "range" is overly emphasized currently, when considering and EV purchase be sure to do your math. Will the stated range meet your needs? You want a car with a range that is "good enough"--don't throw everything else out the window just to get the maximum range. Plus, for any EV, if you do any cold weather driving, reduce the stated range by 15 to 20% due to the effects of cold weather that all vehicles suffer. In this regard, Audi's suffer the least.

·
Registered
213 Posts
don't throw everything else out the window just to get the maximum range.
Yes, It would have cost me a bit over £100 a month to get the e-tron 55 over the 50 in the same spec otherwise. Best £100 I didn't spend! With the simple reasoning that, for our few long trips, we could get a hire car with the money saved many times over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, It would have cost me a bit over £100 a month to get the e-tron 55 over the 50 in the same spec otherwise. Best £100 I didn't spend! With the simple reasoning that, for our few long trips, we could get a hire car with the money saved many times over.
I had the same dilemma as you. The extra range of the 55 isn’t worth £100 per month for us. The 50 suits is down to the ground (well it will when it arrives!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts