Audi E-Tron Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I imagined it but thought when I first set up the car there was an option to set a reserve mileage ; I.e the range shown would be lower than the actual range available. Only asking as when fully charged the range never shows more than 190. Have gone through various menu’s but can’t find anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been through all of the menus and read the manual front-to-back and have not seen this option.

fwiw - I have heard from Tesla owners that the e-tron range seems much more realistic. (ie: with their Tesla they have to multiply stated range by about .75 in their head, whereas their e-tron's is much more accurate)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone getting much less range with cold weather? at 50 degrees here in louisiana my peak range is like 170. Earlier this summer it was 210. Really hoping its temperature related and not decay this early on (got my edition one last april)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could the interior environment (heating/AC) system be working harder in the winter, thereby using more energy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What mi/kWh are you getting at the moment? That’s a better comparison rather than range...
Getting averages of 36-60 kWh/100mi. Depends on type of commute and ambient temp. The Higher (60 kWh/100mi) was on an ambient commute temp of 28 degrees F. The lower (36 kWh/100mi) was on a 45 degree day with a stop and go commute to work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have seen the same range drop with colder weather in VA.

I'm finding the range estimate is grossly over-estimated. In the summer and fall, I would routinely get a range reading of 240 or 250 on a full charge, but driving 100 miles drops the range by 125 or 150 miles.

On miles/kwh, I was getting close to 2.2 in summer/fall, but more like 2.0 with colder weather. I had one stretch of really cold (20's) and mileage dropped to 1.6 miles/kwh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting how much the weather affects it.. I’m averaging 2.1 in the winter at the moment, but ranges from 1.7 to 2.5 depending on traffic... hoping for 2.5+ in the summer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/AAA-Electric-Vehicle-Range-Testing-Report.pdf

This is an interesting report (link above) showing the effect of winter weather on range.....here is a quote from the findings.....

Compared to 75°F, HVAC use at 20°F resulted in an average reduction of combined driving range and
combined MPGe by 41 percent and 39 percent, respectively. HVAC use at 95°F resulted in an average
reduction of both combined driving range and combined MPGe by 17 percent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Averaging 2.0m mi/kwh. worst so far was 1.4 mi/kwh best was 2.7 mi/kwh. Today the morning ambient was 25 degrees f and I averaged 1.9mi/kwh.

I will say the one advantage one of a full EV vehicle in the winter is instant heat in the morning. But unfortunately it comes at a sacrifice of range loss since the major energy source of the heat is the battery. I do not know if Audi is recouping any motor and battery radiated heat back into the cabin heating system. Not sure if it would have enough impact to make any difference. My E-Tron has the Additional high-voltage heater (enhanced cabin and battery preconditioning). So also take into consideration that during that cold morning start if you were not plugged in with a departure timer set. Your heating system is working extra hard to heat the cabin up and the battery as well. My 1.9mi/kwh number was a dead cold start. The next 25 Degree morning I will try a pre-condition start and see if there is any appreciable increase in miles/kwh.

My previous vehicle a ford fusion Plug in hybrid really did not get any appreciable heat until the engine came up to temp. The electric heating element alone was not sufficient for 30 degree F and below temp's. The console display would indicate that the engine was running for heating. I can live with the hit I take in range for the instant heating. But i question the overall long term fuel efficiency comparison numbers between EV and ICE vehicles especially in cold climate usage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my e-tron for about 2 months. If you have not done it yet, I recommend you go into the MMI and put the "battery efficiency" bar on your virtual cockpit. It displays how many "mi/kWh or km/kWh" you are effectively getting. I am in the Pacific Northwest and have had my car for about 2 months. A week or so ago, on a morning in the 30's F, I cold started my car in the garage and headed out for a meeting. The e-tron is rated to get a (pretty poor) maximum efficiency of about 2mi/kWh. With my cold start I was getting 0.8 or so at the beginning! As I drove, the available miles peeled away while the efficiency slowly climbed to 1.6---it to a good chunk of my 11 mi trip to get there. It was maybe 1.8 by the time I arrived. The next time out, I set up a Charger Timer (activating the heating option) to complete a charge soon before I was to leave. This, I think, allows both for cabin heating and some battery heating (I think the battery likes to be above 40 F) that is supposed to stay active up to 10 minutes or so after your departure time. This heating is done by taking power from the wall, NOT the battery. So this time, when I left, the cabin was warm, the battery charged to 80% (I have set that as my upper limit) and the efficiency was up to 1.6 or 1.7 mi/kWh in just a few minutes. Not long after it climbed up to the 1.9 to 2.9 range. Mileage loss was MUCH less extreme. Using a cold battery and having to heat up the cabin with battery juice really takes its toll on mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts