Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I did a 7432 km road trip to the Nordkapp with the Audi e-tron 55. I've charged 48 times on this trip and the average energy consumption was 25.8 kWh/100 km. Besides some minor annoyances with some of the chargers, we had no problems on this trip.
You can find the full trip report on my blog:
Nordkapp Road Trip with Audi e-tron – Part I

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Best regards,

Boris

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
Great write up and photos! Also, that color is amazing. I wish they brought more of those to the US.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great etron trip report.
Great travel trip report.
Beautiful photos.
I enjoyed reading your trip dialog and following the trip on Google maps.
Thanks for sharing your trip.

Reactions: Boris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Achingly beautiful photos! Wonderful trip without too many charging adventures. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much gear did you bring?
Short answer: a lot.
The trunk was completely full up to the roof and half of the rear bench as well. In addition to a complete set of camping equipment and food for about 3 weeks, we carried 3 cameras, 2 tripods, and one drone. For the e-tron I took just a towing rope but never needed it on this trip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This summer I did a 7432 km road trip to the Nordkapp with the Audi e-tron 55. I've charged 48 times on this trip and the average energy consumption was 25.8 kWh/100 km. Besides some minor annoyances with some of the chargers, we had no problems on this trip.
You can find the full trip report on my blog:
Nordkapp Road Trip with Audi e-tron – Part I

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Best regards,

Boris
Great to show us yr trip, well done Boris.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
What an amazing and interesting trip. Thanks for genuinely giving me half an hour of pure escapism. I felt liked I was reading one of those glossy British Airways travel magazines that always inspire you to take the next trip away.

I’m really interested to know what the philosophy was to driving the e-Tron over such long distance, was it a kind of ‘slow food’ attitude.. slow down to enjoy everything more? Was there much stress or hassle, or as it sounds like.. just smooth sailing? If Audi haven’t offered to fund your next trip away they’re missing an amazing opportunity!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m really interested to know what the philosophy was to driving the e-Tron over such long distance, was it a kind of ‘slow food’ attitude.. slow down to enjoy everything more? Was there much stress or hassle, or as it sounds like.. just smooth sailing? If Audi haven’t offered to fund your next trip away they’re missing an amazing opportunity!!
Thanks a lot for your kind words!

I think the main motivation (not really a philosophy) was: curiosity. I just wanted to experience the advantages and disadvantages of doing a long-distance overlanding trip to remote locations with an EV.

What you describe as slow food attitude was more what I experienced during the trip than what I had in my mind when I planned the trip. Everything took a bit more time but also was much more relaxing compared to doing the same trip with an ICE car. The low noise and very high riding comfort of the e-tron clearly was one part of this. The other part was when I drive an EV, I drive differently. I don’t try to overtake every slightly slower car in front of me or try to drive as fast as possible (and/or allowed). With your words: it was definitely smooth sailing.

Another motivation was, that I love to travel (often and often far away) but more and more had a bad conscience about my carbon footprint after so many long-distance flights. I think that man-made climate change exists and will have consequences for future generations. Therefore I wanted to try out a more sustainable way of traveling while still exploring far away remote places.

So far I’m really happy with what’s possible. The trip with the e-tron never felt like a foul compromise.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
That’s really nice feedback in addition to your article, and great food for thought in terms of where I might like to take our e-Tron next! I have friends in Finland who I would dearly like to visit if it weren’t for the current travel difficulties. One final slightly open ended question though:

When planning your trip legs, what was the furthest distance that you initially considered and how did that change over the journey as you adapted your expectations of range or contingency required?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When planning your trip legs, what was the furthest distance that you initially considered and how did that change over the journey as you adapted your expectations of range or contingency required?
The longest distance on one day was the 850km through Germany on the last day. But that was very easy with all the 350kW Ionity chargers along the German motorways.

The only section where I had to adjust my original plan, was the way from Rovaniemi to the Nordkapp. I know that two options exist: You can either drive via Inari or via Alta. On both options, you have to use a slow AC charger and therefore have to charge half-way overnight. Originally I had planned to drive via Inari to the Nordkapp but some of the important chargers along that way had some negative feedback about their reliability on Plugshare. Therefore I decided to choose the safer option and go via Alta.

Often I haven't decided in the morning how far I will drive on the day. I just drove for half a day and then checked what would be a good place for the next night (and if necessary overnight charging). I never had the situation starting in the morning thinking I will manage 500km on that day and then only reach 250km.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could I go with you on your next trip?
If this is a serious inquiry: this could be possible for some less family-friendly trips in the future. Any chance you speak Russian? Then I could cross the border next time. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts