Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of two people so far that had rodents eat some wires that affect the suspension. AUDI will not stand behind this. This is wrong cuz I've done nothing to classes. This car is always garage kept as it is the other person I know who had the same problem

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Rodents eating wiring is a common problem with a lot of things. It sounds like you have them in your garage and need to get rid of them. Years ago, Electrical supply companies started wrapping wiring in some sort of soy-derived insulation that is attractive to rodents. To rodents ALL cars are Moveable Feasts! I don't think any of the auto-makers cover this kind of damage. My son had to park his A4 in a rat infested alley in DC for quite awhile. It was damaged twice. I don't know where you are located, but his Bethesda, MD, Audi dealership had some tips for him to help repel the rodents, which I recall it involved ammonia. Check and seal your garage and put rodent traps outside if necessary!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
I had this kind of problem years ago with mice living in A3. Spraying the engine compartment with ammonia solution for a few days and sealing the garage off for good did wonder. Pity they got to cables first and cost a decent amount of money in fixes

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I had this kind of problem years ago with mice living in A3. Spraying the engine compartment with ammonia solution for a few days and sealing the garage off for good did wonder. Pity they got to cables first and cost a decent amount of money in fixes
LOL. I just spoke with my son. He has just finished (two weeks ago) moving out of his condo in DC into a house in Virginia that has a garage! Having to park outside in DC, rats ended up damaging the wiring leading to his having the wiring harness replaced.....$2000! Now, just this past week he was noticing a really bad smell in the garage at his new house. He popped the hood on the car, and lo and behold, there was a giant dead rat planted on top of the engine! Luckily the rat died before it could do any wiring damage, but "rat removal, diagnostics, and smell elimination" cost $500.
There are a lot of rats in the DC area, and many of them are rodents!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
That is how I knew something was off - the smell was just terrible, especially inside of the cabin. I started lifting stuff up under the hood and guess what - a nice little mice family. I proceeded to evict them, that is no place for little rodents nibbling on cables and insulation.
I do not want to think what damage a rat could have caused. Mice cost me roughly 1k to have several wires replaced and I seem to have been lucky that is all that was damaged.

·
Registered
Warranty Administrator
40 Posts
@Rickstein
Unfortunately, rodent damage is not covered under warranty since it is not a defect or design/engineering/production issue that comes from factory.

We advise our customers to use those really strong scented dryer sheets inside the engine bay, tied to strut tower bars for example and/or to use products with peppermint to keep rodents from making your vehicle an all-you-can-eat snack bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts