Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think im more excited about your roof bars arriving than my e-tron... keen to hear a first impression when you can. Thanks again for finding these... my next project is investigating aftermarket tow bars (just in case you've sussed that too!)
Ok, so the bars have arrived. I’m picking up the car on Thursday and then driving 200 miles with a family of 5, dog and roof box on Friday afternoon. I will post photos of the bars! Here is the kit all ready and waiting! (Dog guard and divider there too - travall)

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
273 Posts
@EeebygumTron I am going to be following in your footsteps! Going to have one less human but two dogs.
A boot divider, roof box and the boot's underfloor storage should cover all cargo requirements for a family holiday. Very interested to see how your trip goes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do they do a front gate to the dog guard? One of our two dogs is still young and would jump out as soon as boot opened.

also does the dog participation limit your access now to Storage underneath or is it easily popped out and in?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Apologies but could you post link to the divider etc please. Thanks.
Also is it quick to remove and get to storage underneath?

thanks eee.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, it is a 5 minute job to remove, so I’d say, no not ideal if you need regular access. We’ve put stuff in there for our break and now I’m here I’m not looking forward to accessing it, bit fiddly. Having said that the divider and guard are both excellent. Maybe a crate would be better for you, but not big enough for our Golden Retriever. Link here for the divider Travall® Divider for Audi e-tron (2018 >)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks Eee. We have two Cavachons. Will have a look and consider further nearer the time of delivery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picked up car yesterday, the Farad bars went on fairly smoothly, although I would recommend taking care to look out for the stickers indicating front and rear, different bracket shapes. I’m pleased with them, 200 mile trip with the usual wind noise from bars, but all good! View attachment 725
View attachment 727 View attachment 731
Really kind of you to take the time to post all these - especially as it looks like you were busy enough anyway

Im impressed with the bars - look pretty good to me. Also impressed you took delivery, fitted all that stuff and went on a 200 mile journey. good luck and thanks again :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I got a set of the Farad feet and aero bars (Audi paid) today. The bars made a loud noise from c25mph upwards. They came with wind deflectors to be stuck on the underside of the front bar but I can't fit them as I need to strap kayaks to the bars. Audi also sent me/paid for a set of Thule aero bars (same bars as those for the flush rail model) - part of a 3 month saga. The Farad feet fit the Thule bars which have a slightly different side profile. So far (up to 60 mph, they are much quieter. My recommendation if you want aero bars is mix Farad feet and Thule bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I got a set of the Farad feet and aero bars (Audi paid) today. The bars made a loud noise from c25mph upwards. They came with wind deflectors to be stuck on the underside of the front bar but I can't fit them as I need to strap kayaks to the bars. Audi also sent me/paid for a set of Thule aero bars (same bars as those for the flush rail model) - part of a 3 month saga. The Farad feet fit the Thule bars which have a slightly different side profile. So far (up to 60 mph, they are much quieter. My recommendation if you want aero bars is mix Farad feet and Thule bars.
Thanks for the update and really interesting advice. im not sure ive found a way (or website) to buy the feet separately? on roofcarriers.co.uk there are a few different types. Eebygumtron bought the "standard" ones (110 Euros) , do you think the "aero" ones (165 Euros) might be similar to the Thule ones or are those the ones youve already tried. On roofcarriers.co.uk there are 5 versions:

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the update and really interesting advice. im not sure ive found a way (or website) to buy the feet separately? on roofcarriers.co.uk there are a few different types. Eebygumtron bought the "standard" ones (110 Euros) , do you think the "aero" ones (165 Euros) might be similar to the Thule ones or are those the ones youve already tried. On roofcarriers.co.uk there are 5 versions:

thanks
Thule didn't have feet to fit rail-less. The Audi dealership had some prototypes delivered apparently but they didn't fit properly. This is the Farad foot pack I've got: KIT BS 181 for FARAD ALU & IRON roof bars (as linked from this page: Roof bars ) I think roofcarriers.co.uk are actually Italy based, but they answered a question i had very quickly, and if you email them, I reckon they could sell you just the foot pack. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can confirm the whistling noise! I too didn’t fit the rubber strips under the bars as I had run out of time. Good to know about the Thule bar option with the Farad feet, the whistling didn’t bother us that much, seemed worse on the motorway with the wind head on, I just used it as an indicator that it was time tuck into the slipstream of another vehicle :) For my twice a year use, the whistling Italians are fine :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really useful posts. My wife ordered an eTron 55 Vorsprung in March. Not delivered yet. Lots of extras and only found out about the roof rails a couple of weeks ago! All the stock pictures have black roof rails so assumed standard. The dealer has said there are no options for retrofit so I think the Farad option is brilliant. Thanks for recommending. Where do they clip in to the car. Do they just slot in the door space somehow. Have rails on our RR and Cayenne so never encountered this kit before. Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thule didn't have feet to fit rail-less. The Audi dealership had some prototypes delivered apparently but they didn't fit properly. This is the Farad foot pack I've got: KIT BS 181 for FARAD ALU & IRON roof bars (as linked from this page: Roof bars ) I think roofcarriers.co.uk are actually Italy based, but they answered a question i had very quickly, and if you email them, I reckon they could sell you just the foot pack. Hope that helps.

Thanks Durborough and eebuygumtron for your trailblazing with this. I'm in the same situation and need to get a roofrack onto my eTron 55 Quattro.
@Durborough - do you know what the Thule Aero Bars you have that work with those Farad foot pack is? Also, that link doesn't show how to buy them - do I email?
@EeebygumTron - how are you finding putting the racks on and off. Not noticing any damage to the roof? (mine's a lease so need to be extra careful!)

Thanks again all

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
273 Posts
Just returned from a short day trip with the farad roof rails and thule medium touring box fitted.

There was no whistling, presumably because I fitted the rubber strips top and bottom. In fact there is minimal noise from the bars and box, just a buzz or something akin to driving on rougher asphalt from the box (which was empty, so perhaps a factor).

Efficiency took a hit. Motorway for 60 miles and a-roads for 10miles. Doing around 60mph due to traffic but 73mph when traffic allowed. Calm, sunny weather with 16-25°c. Averaging 2.3m/kwh to 2.5m/kwh when usually I'd get 2.7-2.9m/kwh in those conditions. Quite impressed with that but I suppose harsher weather will have more of an impact on efficiency.

@Ajwoo I think you'll be OK. The mount points of the rails are set by farad and are placed quite forward on the roof so I don't think there'll be any danger of catching the boot door. My Thule is 175 in length and there was at least another 20cm left at the back (depends how you position the box of course as the Thule allows you to shift the box for and aft by 10-15cm).

On the way home my etron 50 threw a drive train fault and reduced power to 75%. Not box or roof rail related of course but today was a practice run for a trip to Scotland in a week's time! Really need the car to be ready for then as I've got the exact same setup as @EeebygumTron all ready to go!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts