Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

is there a S mode on the Etron? If so, is it on both the 50 and 55?
I test drove a E tron a few months ago and presumed dynamic mode had the quickest acceleration. However I’ve seen on YouTube a ‘s mode’.
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, you pull twice on the gear shift to set the car into S mode (first D, second D+S), then you floor it. More than one of the driving modes gives you that feature. Unlike Tesla's, you can do a boost several times in a row without having to drive around to let the battery cool down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And is that on all Etron models? Does it make a difference to the 0 - 60 etc? It felt quick on D mode so interesting to know. Thanks for info

·
Registered
60 Posts
It acts like an 8 second boost (not sure exactly but someone will correct me on the time) - and yes i test drove a 50 and it was noticeably quicker to accelerate

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, you pull twice on the gear shift to set the car into S mode (first D, second D+S), then you floor it. More than one of the driving modes gives you that feature. Unlike Tesla's, you can do a boost several times in a row without having to drive around to let the battery cool down.
Isn't that called "Boost" mode? Or is there a third mode that I'm missing called "S" mode?

Also, not many people realize there is a launch control on the e-tron. You put it in Dynamic and select boost mode in the drive selector, hold the brake and mash the accelerator at the same time. You'll see the power gauge go up to 25% (i think) and then let go of the brake!

·
Registered
286 Posts
"S" is what shows up on the screen when selecting the boost mode...maybe it stands for "sport"? Maybe its from German? In any event, it reconfigures the battery so that it can deliver more power to the motors.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Most likely. I don't know of any other settings that allow the transfer of that much power to the motors. Graphically, the power bar extends itself to cover the full range of the graphic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 50 model does not have Boost mode. It does have S mode. I don't believe there is launch control on the 50. Not on the technik spec version at least.

S mode appears to liven up the accelerator response. The power output is not changed though.
The boost mode is only available on 55s. It ups the max available power from roughly 300bhp to 400bhp. For bursts of 8 secs. Dynamic mode has to be selected and S mode engaged, at which point the power gauge extends as others have described.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a 55. I pretty much stay in Efficiency mode and still have access to the S boost mode. I think there is a process where you can hold the brake while you start to power up, similar to lifting up on the Parking tab to hold youself in place while you transfer a foot, when you are on a hill. However, it really seems to be there to act more as a Passing gear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also to add. S mode is available in pretty much any driving mode. Even in Efficiency, an extra nudge of the drive selector puts you in S mode.

I compared a 50 vs 55 the other week thanks to a courtesy car. Personally the boost didn't give enough extra acceleration, compared with the 50's non boost acceleration, in my opinion. There's a 1 second 0-60mph difference. But real world, its not particularly noticable. All etrons are quick enough.

The 50 feels lighter - 'cos it is I guess - so the power to weight ratio of that model may flatter vs the 55.

·
Registered
148 Posts
To add - When accelerating using the boost the power bar slowly creeps back down on the display, to indicate when you've used your 8 second burst. I have not done a full-acceleration boost for 8 consecutive seconds, lol.
Also - Launch mode is Dynamic, S, depress the brake and then the accelerator fully. Wait for the power gauge to flash on the display and then all you have to do is let off the brake.

·
Registered
286 Posts
To add - When accelerating using the boost the power bar slowly creeps back down on the display, to indicate when you've used your 8 second burst. I have not done a full-acceleration boost for 8 consecutive seconds, lol.
Also - Launch mode is Dynamic, S, depress the brake and then the accelerator fully. Wait for the power gauge to flash on the display and then all you have to do is let off the brake.
Where did you find the info about the whole "Launch Mode" setup? I've been really disappointed in the lack of detail in the manual for the descriptions of how the several driving modes differ.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find the acceleration on the 50 is decent enough. As Chrisechild mentions above, you can knock it into S mode in any drive mode for a bit more oomph. Efficiency is kinda sluggish, but that's what it's there for. I pulled away sharpish from a newish Mustang the other day, I don't think he expected it as he was revving as he came alongside to undertake me and I'd already noticed further back and was in S-Dynamic. Sweet sound of silent victory

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
Is there any reason to avoid keeping S/boost mode active at all times? I like having the extra power on tap.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding this mode. When I put it in S the boost meter fills up. It will stay filled for the duration of the drive. Does it disappear when you've used your allotted 8 seconds of full throttle?

Edit: Joe answered this in post #12. I guess I'm a bit light on the throttle too :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
From one review I read:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"However, if you select D for Drive you’re only given access to 265kW, making for a 0-100km/h time of 6.6 seconds.

Choose S for Sport mode and the full 300kW comes on tap, lowering the benchmark acceleration time to 5.7 seconds.

It’s odd that Audi chooses to make the peak power available only in that S mode. Ultimately your right foot controls how much power you direct the car to give you, so why not just allow the full 300kW in all modes?

In that Sport mode there’s a far more sensitive throttle, making for more of a jolt and associated head movement if you prod the accelerator pedal."
---------------------------------------------------
So it sounds like leaving it in S mode might lead to a less refined, more jerky driving experience.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there any reason to avoid keeping S/boost mode active at all times? I like having the extra power on tap.
I was putting it in efficiency mode for a while and realized that the difference in mileage was nominal as long as I drive modestly in dynamic mode. I'm with you @polyphonic , I like to know I have the power on tap when I want so now I drive in dynamic mode and know if I want to have fun I can quickly hit the selector to S and have some fun! Also, the efficiency mode goes super low at a certain speed and I don't like the constant adjustment of height when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is purely my speculation, but I believe S mode narrows the parameters for the drivetrain and battery temps. I have noticed that sometimes when I first turn the vehicle on or if it is at an extreme temp, shifting into S does not fill the boost bar for a few moments.
So whereas asking 265 kW of the drivetrain does not require a super careful temperature control, the fact that you may at any time push the system to 300 kW for 8 seconds causes the vehicle to closely regulate temps in anticipation of that. I am not speculating that this is bad for the thermal management.

Just my best guess. That's the only reason I can think of that they didn't just use the kickdown to initiate boost in any drive mode. Could also just be marketing "Ooh, S-mode. Gotta have it!".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts