Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for bay area e-tron owners. How does winter weather and elevation change affect your range when you drive to North Tahoe? Where do you charge on route, and what is your level of charge when you arrive? I notice there is a long stretch of I-80 without any chargers.
thanks in advance,
Todd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not in your area, but really cold winter weather really drags down your range, and uphill runs are also problematic. If it is all uphill, plan on 120 miles of range at best.

Also beware of Electrify America charging stations - they are notoriously out of order. Sometimes the app will say it, but most times it's just an unpleasant surprise when the chargers don't work.

I will never take a trip that relied on a stop for charging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a question for bay area e-tron owners. How does winter weather and elevation change affect your range when you drive to North Tahoe? Where do you charge on route, and what is your level of charge when you arrive? I notice there is a long stretch of I-80 without any chargers.
thanks in advance,
Todd
We just did that trip. Stop for lunch at the Promenade or Rocklin to fully fast charge. The promenade EA chargers are hit or miss if they are working tho. Then drive conservative up the hills and mountains to Truckee, where they have a new bank of EA chargers. We had about 70 miles range left when we arrived there, after some nice downhill regen from the summit. You would probably be ok getting to the north side of the lake without charging at Truckee. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m curious to try that, as well (starting from the East Bay). And a jaunt down to LA.

I did run across this article:

...and have read others online doing a similar drive. Enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m curious to try that, as well (starting from the East Bay). And a jaunt down to LA.
Last December I did the trip from the Bay Area to L.A. down I5. It was my first trip in the e-tron and I found it to be pretty easy. I stopped to recharge more often than I probably needed, only because I didn't want to risk it. Went at above posted speed for most of it.

For the trip back I went through Ojai and Santa Barbara. There were no fast chargers until I got to Paso Robles, so I ended up stopping more often and longer than desired. That and a few of them didn't work (eventually learned the lift-the-handle-while-starting trick, but not in time for that trip).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some chargers fail to initialize. You have to grab the handle and lift up (and in) a little until the initialization process finishes. Once the charging starts you can let go. I had this problem at a Recargo Network charger and the error message even suggested the fix because "older cables are heavier". The first time I tried it didn't work. You have to firmly lift and push in for it to work. I have heard some EA chargers have the problem too. Someone told me it is a problem with Huber + Suhner cables, but I wouldn't know how to check that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some chargers fail to initialize. You have to grab the handle and lift up (and in) a little until the initialization process finishes. Once the charging starts you can let go. I had this problem at a Recargo Network charger and the error message even suggested the fix because "older cables are heavier". The first time I tried it didn't work. You have to firmly lift and push in for it to work. I have heard some EA chargers have the problem too. Someone told me it is a problem with Huber + Suhner cables, but I wouldn't know how to check that.
Very very good to know, thank you! I have only had to DCFC three times so far (COVID has cancelled many longer trips that were planned) but I had issues the first time.
Knowing little tricks like this are a part of EV ownership :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts