Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,
i like one pedal driving so i set my etron to manual recuperation and then use the left paddle to set manual recuperation to max
The problem is that every time i turn the car off recuperation switches to the minimal (coasting) mode and i have to dial it up again using paddles
Any ideas as to how to save this setting?

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
130 Posts
I discovered the same thing today. Interested in the answer if there is one.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I haven't had that particular issue happen, but there have been reports of various settings randomly resetting themselves. The current theory is that it's related to driver profiles. You can try turning it off for a bit and see if it goes away.

I also found that it's a good habit to set the seat memory button on the door anytime a change is made anywhere in MMI (not just the seat). That seems to trigger something that properly saves everything to the profile.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have always used Manual recuperation (as opposed to Automatic). When in Automatic, while your are driving, the paddle setting returns to Coasting whenever you touch the accelerator peddle. In Manual, the setting stays fixed until you change it. If you put it in the paddle mode you want and then update your profile that MIGHT work to do what you want. But in my case, no matter the setting when I turn off the car, the car starts out in Coasting when I turn it on. Not a big deal to hit the paddle a couple of times when you start--since you dont have to physically disengage the Parking brake when you start out, it becomes a zero sum game!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Yeah, good point @JNealCox. it does indeed depend on where you are setting this and what you're expecting the vehicle to do. The paddles are meant to be used in real-time and can be used in either automatic or manual mode. But they in themselves are not a permanent setting.

If you're referring to Brake Recuperation setting in MMI, as noted on Page 90 of the Owner's Manual, that should remain where you've set it. Although I think most folks will prefer being in Automatic mode. Plus, the brake pedal will be able to make use of more regen than the paddles. You can see that in real-time via the instrument cluster. Anything more than 0.3g of force will trigger the physical brakes.

As an added bonus, if you enable the other safety features combined with NAV, you'll see that it frequently uses regen braking on its own. As it anticipates intersections, detects slowing vehicles in front, etc.

Drive System - Recuperation (Page 90)
The vehicle is able to recover energy by using “recuperation”.
The electric drive system operates
like a generator and converts a large portion of
kinetic energy into electrical energy that is stored
in the high-voltage battery. The vehicle is braked
during recuperation, which is similar to the engine
braking effect on a vehicle with a combus-
tion engine. This will happen automatically when
you press the brake pedal while driving in “D”
gear, or when you remove your foot from the accelerator
pedal.

When you press the brake pedal, recuperation is
used to brake the vehicle. The brakes will only be
activated if necessary. When driving normally,
this makes it possible to brake using only recuperation
just before coming to stop and to lose
little energy and range from braking.

Setting options

You can set how strongly the vehicle should be
braked by recuperation while coasting.

-> Applies to: MMI: Select on the home screen:
VEHICLE -> Charging & Efficiency -> Efficiency Assist -> Recuperation.

Automatic:
the recuperation braking effect is adjusted
proactively* to the route or vehicles driving
ahead, for example. You can temporarily adjust
the braking effect by selecting a recuperation
level with the shift paddles.

Manual: the recuperation braking effect is controlled
manually. You can select a recuperation
level using the shift paddles.
Settings using the shift paddles:
-> Select - for a stronger braking effect.
-> Select + for a weaker braking effect.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So if you select 'manual' in the MMI, then - - for max effect - is it sticky?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Experimenting today over a 28 mile drive, I found that forcing regen improved the M/KWh markedly.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Experimenting today over a 28 mile drive, I found that forcing regen improved the M/KWh markedly.
Yep, it does indeed. Much more than I expected. Take advantage of coasting, easy on the throttle, and let regen do its thing and you can quickly see efficiency improve.

It helps to keep the instrument cluster on a screen where you can see regen in real-time. You can see the various stages as you either use the paddles or add more pressure to the brake pedal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
...It helps to keep the instrument cluster on a screen where you can see regen in real-time. You can see the various stages as you either use the paddles or add more pressure to the brake pedal.
So how do you do this? My other EV (iPace) has a very prominent power/regen/range display but the eTron equivalent is very a small regen gauge with a huge "power" gauge uoccupying >50% of the display...?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's probably in the manual.. OK :) I'll have a look

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
So how do you do this? My other EV (iPace) has a very prominent power/regen/range display but the eTron equivalent is very a small regen gauge with a huge "power" gauge uoccupying >50% of the display...?
It's probably in the manual.. OK :) I'll have a look
Is there an alternative layout?
There ya go. Section 2 (see pic) will show regen at different levels, depending on the paddle and/or brake pedal. And that's on Page 13 for those that are curious.

From the MMI screen:
SETTINGS > Display & brightness > Virtual cockpit > Configure.

It sounds like you've found the limited instrument cluster options. The dedicated EV display does have the most EV-related information, but I also didn't care for the unused portion that was left blank. Rather lazy on Audi's part. You can still hit the "View" button on the steering wheel to change proportions.

I just keep mine on the default layout, which still has the power meter. That tells me what I need to know and can still have most of the screen for navigation. Gotta love that Google Earth view.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use the "etron" display configuration. In that case, as you paddle shift a small vertical line in the power bar at the left shifts from zero to about 25% to about 50% with each paddle shift. Helps me keep track. If I lose track I just give the right paddle two clicks and I know I'll be back to Coasting. I think putting a third 100% "single peddle" setting on the paddles would be too much, dangerous even; however, some people might like a separate switch that les you select either "paddle shifters" or "single peddle driving".

And, frankly, the integration of the paddle shifters with the regen is, to my surprise, one of the best things I like about driving this car. For one thing, the car coasts REALLY well, and using the paddle shifters, I find my feet are on either peddle very little. It's nice not having to press the accelerator peddle just to overcome some regen to get up to speed going down hill. Just put it in Coast, get up to speed and use the shifters to control speed as you ROLL downhill. For the first time, I have discovered a car in which the paddle shifters are actually useful!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV prior to the etron and that had the same behaviour (resetting to coast when ignition is switched off) FWIW. I think its normal behaviour.

That car coasted better than the etron believe it or not, probably due to carry around the ICE.

I've fallen in love with automatic regen, which I'd never thought I'd say. I just supplement it with a couple of double taps of the left lever here and there. Auto does seem to slow the car too much on its own in some scenarios though, which probably leads to more power being used to make up that lost speed. And your comments about manual being better for efficiency has convinced me to switch back to manual for a while 🤣

1 - 15 of 15 Posts