Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took delivery of my etron sports back on 1st March. Its a lovely car, but a couple of weeks in I tried to start the car outside my house and a warning message came up stating "electrical fault", the vehicle didnt start or lock. I called Audi assist and they came out and reset the vehicle, the technician said he's never seen the problem before, but everything seemed ok until Today... I was driving to school to drop off my daughter and it just cut out in the middle of the junction! The same error came up, I couldnt move that car, start the car or do nothing other than call audit assist to recover it. The vehicle is now safely at a dealership being looked at, however im freaking out when it comes back as im petrified to use it just in case this happens again and im driving on a motorway or another road which is more dangerous than the local road to school. I was wondering whether anyone has experienced similar issues, if they have been fixed and just generally what to do? Its my first EV and so far not a good experience...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I never heard of this issue before as well. But the dealer who came out the first time to fix the car, should’ve taken it out to the dealership for thorough analysis.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
278 Posts
I'm not saying this doesn't happen to other vehicles, but here are two similar instances:

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to hubbie and I back in January 2021. Luckily, we were on an exit ramp about to make a turn onto a main thoroughfare. Many ugly icons flashed on the screen. We were able to slowly coax it home by turning it on everytime it turned off. We called our Audi dealership the next day and they sent a tow truck as well as made a loaner available to us. We found out that the rear drivetrain seal had failed (I assume leak involved) and a replacement would take several days. We received the etron back the next week, and all has been well so far.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So I took delivery of my etron sports back on 1st March. Its a lovely car, but a couple of weeks in I tried to start the car outside my house and a warning message came up stating "electrical fault", the vehicle didnt start or lock. I called Audi assist and they came out and reset the vehicle, the technician said he's never seen the problem before, but everything seemed ok until Today... I was driving to school to drop off my daughter and it just cut out in the middle of the junction! The same error came up, I couldnt move that car, start the car or do nothing other than call audit assist to recover it. The vehicle is now safely at a dealership being looked at, however im freaking out when it comes back as im petrified to use it just in case this happens again and im driving on a motorway or another road which is more dangerous than the local road to school. I was wondering whether anyone has experienced similar issues, if they have been fixed and just generally what to do? Its my first EV and so far not a good experience...
I'm really surprised the dealer let you drive the car until it was thoroughly checked out at the Dealer. Maybe you should get into an American mindset and start dropping words like "safety" and "liability" as you discuss the problem with them. In my case, my backup camera failed when I was trying to back out of a parking space on a rainy, Oregon night. I took it to the Dealer and they would not let me drive the vehicle until they checked it out. In getting repairs it is important to remember that these are VERY new cars and that the "Audi E Tron Technicians" are fresh out of training. Many of the problems that develop with our cars will be the first time they have ever seen them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whenever, over the course of many years and many vehicles, I have to take a car in for repair, I stress that I don't want the car back until it is fixed. If they can't find the problem, but you know there is a problem, just move up the chain. Especially if the vehicle is leaving you on the side of the road. Always stress the safety issues.

·
Registered
2021 eTron / 20 X3M
26 Posts
I've experienced similar issues on a 19' Nissan Titan and 17' BMW X4m40i. I ended up suing Nissan with Lemon law which netted me some money and a final repair by their master technicians, they ended up striping the entire truck and replacing the entire wire harness. I did the same with the BMW after they replaced a ton of parts I sued with Lemon law... it ended up being a bad battery... the only thing the dealer said it wasn't. :unsure:

Good luck hopefully nothing major.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really surprised the dealer let you drive the car until it was thoroughly checked out at the Dealer. Maybe you should get into an American mindset and start dropping words like "safety" and "liability" as you discuss the problem with them. In my case, my backup camera failed when I was trying to back out of a parking space on a rainy, Oregon night. I took it to the Dealer and they would not let me drive the vehicle until they checked it out. In getting repairs it is important to remember that these are VERY new cars and that the "Audi E Tron Technicians" are fresh out of training. Many of the problems that develop with our cars will be the first time they have ever seen them!
That is such a good point, tank you! Naively I thought when they reset it first time it was all sorted, clearly not and I will be taking this up further as I have lost all my confidence in this vehicle! I have had several Audis, BMWs, Porches during my driving life and not once my vehicle has had to be towed away or I have been in a potentially life threatening situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not saying this doesn't happen to other vehicles, but here are two similar instances:

I have read through these and the issue seems to be different to mine, however what is worrying that in all sorts of various circumstances due to different faults the vehicle just stops! With a good old diesel or petrol car at least you have a chance to wiggle yourself to a save position somehow...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've experienced similar issues on a 19' Nissan Titan and 17' BMW X4m40i. I ended up suing Nissan with Lemon law which netted me some money and a final repair by their master technicians, they ended up striping the entire truck and replacing the entire wire harness. I did the same with the BMW after they replaced a ton of parts I sued with Lemon law... it ended up being a bad battery... the only thing the dealer said it wasn't. :unsure:

Good luck hopefully nothing major.
Thank you. The vehicle is still under warranty and nothing will cost me anything other than another potential fault my life!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Audi have run full diagnostics and have identified the fault. Im not particularly technical, but they will be replacing some sort of electrical board. This will be completed today. They have promised extensive testing etc and have organised for me to have a conversation with the E-tron technical expert. BUT the message so far have ben fairly blasé and they say hey ho these things happen and cant help - **** yes you can help and not sell cars with faults which are dangerous! Im still in two minds whether to hand it back or give another go as im genuinely scared of that vehicle now!

·
Registered
44 Posts
You were driving to school to drop off your daughter, meaning that she was in the car and that this situation is a whole lot worse than had you been on your own.
If you're genuinely scared of driving the car, will you ever feel 100% comfortable? If not, get rid of the car. it's not worth the anxiety.

I had a similar, but different experience in my Porsche (which I eventually got rid of). The tiptronic gearbox decided to stop working meaning I could not select any gear on a busy A road whilst upwards of 50MPH, I did still have use of my brakes and was able to pull in to the side. But it wasn't nice, and it changed the way I drove the car. I didn't enjoy it the same afterwards.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Its never nice when something breaks down and sadly this could happen to any car any time. Unfortunately the etron is just one big computer (as are most EVs) and even in the computer industry, new ones fail from time to time due to the number of components in them.

I hope you give it another go and it all works fine - perhaps its worth picking it up on a Friday from the garage and then driving it loads over the weekend, recharge it, drive it, recharge etc and see if using it quite a bit over the weekend relays your fears that it is now fixed and working properly so that you have confidence on Monday to take your daughter to school.

Good luck with whatever you decide and hope its all ok.

Reactions: Felanima

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Its never nice when something breaks down and sadly this could happen to any car any time. Unfortunately the etron is just one big computer (as are most EVs) and even in the computer industry, new ones fail from time to time due to the number of components in them.

I hope you give it another go and it all works fine - perhaps its worth picking it up on a Friday from the garage and then driving it loads over the weekend, recharge it, drive it, recharge etc and see if using it quite a bit over the weekend relays your fears that it is now fixed and working properly so that you have confidence on Monday to take your daughter to school.

Good luck with whatever you decide and hope its all ok.
This is a very good point. In many ways the E Tron (or any EV) is more like your microwave oven, than like an ICE. The electronic components that are faulty will most likely fail early in the ownership time, and when they fail, they will fail completely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts