Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any PNW e-tron owners here (I'm not one, yet) who've made the 180-205 mile trip between Seattle and Portland metros in recent months, summer/fall 2020? I'm curious to hear your range & recharge experiences along I-5. Did you make it much/most/all of the way, clear sailing or traffic, etc.?

Seattle/Portland is the only long distance trip I'd likely make that's on the cusp of e-tron range, and many if not most other popular destinations and day trips from Seattle (skiing, hiking, etc.) are 180 miles or less, round trip.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm in Portland, but have not made that trip yet in my E Tron, even though I have had it for a year. (Thank you, COVID). When considering getting the E Tron, I did download the PlugShare app and checked out that route. Seemed to be no problem. You should download Plugshare and take some vicarious trips. For me, more problematic was going to the Oregon Coast! Also, in cold stormy weather, don't bet on getting 180mi.

·
Registered
162 Posts
@KeithLa I live in Seattle and have used DC level 3 on trips to Mt. St. Helens and Portland with no problems. I have not done the drive without stopping to charge, but I will say the etron's range estimate is extremely accurate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
About 30 minutes to fill it. I have charged at the mall in Kelso, and by the time I've walked to and from some fast food its full.
I mentioned it on another thread, but when I charge fully on L2 at my home I get to 210ish miles (depending on the season, yada yada) but off of L3 later that day 100% will be about 190ish miles. I think it doesn't "top it off" as effectively on a fast charge, or the software limits the charge level 🤷‍♂️
Before a long trip or if I'm going somewhere kinda remote, my practice is to set the charger to 50% power, fill to 100% charge, and precondition for my departure time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any PNW e-tron owners here (I'm not one, yet) who've made the 180-205 mile trip between Seattle and Portland metros in recent months, summer/fall 2020? I'm curious to hear your range & recharge experiences along I-5. Did you make it much/most/all of the way, clear sailing or traffic, etc.?

Seattle/Portland is the only long distance trip I'd likely make that's on the cusp of e-tron range, and many if not most other popular destinations and day trips from Seattle (skiing, hiking, etc.) are 180 miles or less, round trip.
Piece of cake! Plenty of L3 chargers. I got into the habit of doing this:

1) plug in. Wait for at least a minute or two. Be sure charger is delivering expected energy 150kw if you are below 80%)

2) walk over to the co located Walmart, target, Starbucks to take a break and grab some PNE go juice. Check app to make sure charger is still delivering energy as expected ( in my up and down west coast trips w the eTron I see many times where it starts off great then 5-10 mins later has stopped or anemic)

3) inless than 30 min you are on your way

plenty of L3 stations between PDX and SEA so you won’t have an issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check app to make sure charger is still delivering energy as expected ( in my up and down west coast trips w the eTron I see many times where it starts off great then 5-10 mins later has stopped or anemic)
Thanks, good to know, though that bit doesn't instill confidence, so much. Do Tesla superchargers have the same issue?

I'm also concerned by the number of reports I've read here about unreliability of Electrify America charging stations, at least on the East coast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We would also like to use our e-tron from home on the Kitsap Peninsula to the Oregon coast, yet it looks iffy for charging down there. But it would be so much more fun to drive the coastline in the e-tron than in our pick-up. Good to know about Kelso.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm starting to get the impression EVs generally (not just e-tron) can be a bit of a headache on recreational road trips, esp far flung destinations on fun, scenic roads off the highways. PHEV may be a reasonable compromise, at the expense of some torque.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As I've found they can indeed be a PITA on long trips. My last trip that takes ~10 hours in an IC took me 19 hours due to charging station issues. Having said that I can only hope/expect that things will get better with time as more true 150kW charging stations come online.

And for the Oregon coast things are pretty sparse. We've considered driving up to PDX on highway 101 from California but find that once you cross the border there are very few charging stations.

Reactions: KeithLa

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
15 Posts
We would also like to use our e-tron from home on the Kitsap Peninsula to the Oregon coast, yet it looks iffy for charging down there. But it would be so much more fun to drive the coastline in the e-tron than in our pick-up. Good to know about Kelso.
We went to Cannon Beach for a few days last summer from north of Seattle. Charged at EA once on the way down and once on the way back, and several times at the hotel. A somewhat more extensive trip is quite possible.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=7ad320d3-acf9-4c8d-8237-7b8abdffdf4a

Reactions: KeithLa

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Quattro
8 Posts
I'm starting to get the impression EVs generally (not just e-tron) can be a bit of a headache on recreational road trips, esp far flung destinations on fun, scenic roads off the highways. PHEV may be a reasonable compromise, at the expense of some torque.
We have a Tesla model 3 and I just got my e tron in early December. With the Tesla, we have not had any issues because the range is higher and Tesla’s charging infrastructure is leaps and bounds better than non-Tesla infrastructure. We live in Seattle and have taken the Tesla to Orcas island multiple times. We stop at a supercharger before getting on the ferry and then there are a few destination (L2) chargers on the island. The Tesla also charges much faster with L1, so if we need to we do that and can get 40+ miles over night.

We have also taken the Tesla to the Olympic Peninsula and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to charge out there, because it’s SO remote. There’s a supercharger in the town of Forks, which really is in the middle of nowhere. We were able to drive from our Airbnb to the hiking trail, about 2 hours, and then hit the supercharger after we were done hiking.

My e tron is much more limited because the range is less, the charging infrastructure is not nearly as good as Tesla’s, and it’s ridiculously slow charging on L1 but I love the way it drives and looks and I didn’t want an iPad on wheels!

We are used to having gas stations everywhere, and eventually EV chargers will reach that level. I personally think that it’s kind of fun to figure out where all of the chargers are and plan your trip that way. Once you know, you know, and you get into a routine with which chargers you use regularly, etc. I had naysayer friends who were surprised that we would want to two EV’s because of “convenience”, so far I have not missed, not even for a second, owning a “regular” car. It was a little daunting at first, and I totally understand where people’s apprehension comes from, but like anything new, you get used to it.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
15 Posts
We have also taken the Tesla to the Olympic Peninsula and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to charge out there, because it’s SO remote. There’s a supercharger in the town of Forks, which really is in the middle of nowhere.
Forks is remote, but there is one hotel in town with EV charging. The more lodging choices with charging, the better it is for all EVs. A fully charged car in the morning is better than a stop at a quick charge.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=66de0fc6-4461-438b-bc93-4de1dec24e48

Reactions: TJL
1 - 13 of 13 Posts