Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer just told me that my vehicle which has 9500 miles but a 2019 needs a 20k brake service? WTF? Why? Has anyone else heard of this? I would think the brakes on the etron would require little to no maintenance since they are hardly used.

If anyone knows anything about this please post their knowledge.

Jason

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None, but the service manual says every two years the Blake fluid needs to be replaced? From oxygen contact? Seems like a scam to me from audi.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
It is nothing more than just a run for your money. Brake fluid may deteriorate over time, but ... not sure how you'd check whether it is good or not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if it voids the audi warrantee at all? I think audi knew there would be little to no maintenance on this car so they did a blanket statement to service all their cars every two year no matter if ice or electric. I don't think I will do it this time. Seems stupid to change the brake fluid where the only contact with air is the reservoir.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got about the same mileage. No idea about actual pad wear but, judging by the lack of brake dust on the wheels, the brakes have done very little - as you'd hope in an electrically recuperating vehicle.
When stopping the car, especially for the first time in a journey, in the last few moments of stopping (~walking pace) I hear a brake grinding noise. I take this to be due to mechanical braking with the pads scrubbing clean a barely-used disc.
What other information did the dealer give you? I take it that it was part of an inspection during a service.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the dealer looked it up and found the age of the vehicle and somehow knew it needed it. So I will go change brake fluid. It's frustrating. What I out the audicare packages 1k for what the same brake change and an inspection that take 5 minutes? What a rip off.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I wonder if it voids the audi warrantee at all?
I do not think they can void your warranty ... but that is all speculative and interpretation-prone, unfortunately. I was doing oil changes on my Q5 outside of dealership when it was still under warranty and there was no issue accepting warranty fixes, though not related to the oil system, obviously.
When stopping the car, especially for the first time in a journey, in the last few moments of stopping (~walking pace) I hear a brake grinding noise
That is normal, since the brakes are then engaged to stop the car. The regen is disabled below 10 mphs (I might be off on that number, though, it is only a conclusion from personal observation). I do know that when my battery is charged in the morning (at 80% SOC) and I do brake a few first time, regen does not engage because the SOC shows full, so only mechanical brakes engage. It is a stupid Audi software design issue. The logical condition should allow for regen still to be enabled if the battery state is not 100%, but that is not how software is written right now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
do know that when my battery is charged in the morning (at 80% SOC) and I do brake a few first time, regen does not engage because the SOC shows full, so only mechanical brakes engage.
Strange, mine recuperates fine at 80% charge - you can see that it wants to by the amount of green on the dial below zero on the power line. It's just the last few mph where it seems to go mechanical - perhaps because it can't get useful electricity back at such a low speed.

Anyway, back to the OP: brake fluid change - hadn't thought of that. Two years seems a bit too often TBH but I'm sure Audi will make a good case for it on a safety basis, nothing to do with recuperating some more cash from their punters to the environment's detriment, of course...

·
Registered
132 Posts
2-3 years is a common manufacturer recommended brake fluid maintenance interval for most cars. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and likes to pull water vapor out of the air. Eventually it causes problems. There are testers that can be used to measure the moisture content in the brake fluid should one really want to test it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My dealer asked for the mileage when I scheduled the 2-year service. Since mine had less than 8k miles on it, he said they will just do the smaller service (the one after 1 year) because he did not see the point either to swap out brake fluid and coolant after 8k miles. Instead, they will do it next year.

Changing out these fluids every 2 years is probably on the overly cautious side. But brake fluid can go bad with too much oxygen in it and since the car is pretty heavy, being on the safe said may not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Strange, mine recuperates fine at 80% charge
I can regen manually (force it to work) but not in automatic mode.
Changing out these fluids every 2 years is probably on the overly cautious side. But brake fluid can go bad with too much oxygen in it and since the car is pretty heavy, being on the safe said may not be a bad idea.
The bigger question is whether it needs to be done at Audi or can be done with your local shop (much cheaper, I am sure).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He mentioned some other filter also that needed to be changed, I forgot the name. Does anyone have a clear picture on what maintenance is needed on regular intervals? The manual doesnt really show it. Would be great to have in a chart form.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thats great thank you. Is the dust and pollen filter something I can do myself? Im sure audi will charge 100 dollars for it and the repalcement. I have always done them myself on japanese and american cars.
The filter should be just over $30: Audi e-tron Cabin Air Filter - 4M0819439B - Genuine Audi Part

Getting to it may be more annoying. The HVAC unit sits underneath the glove compartment. I am not sure if you have to take out the entire assembly or if there is an easier way. This thread has some pictures but they may not be too helpful: cabin filter location? - AudiWorld Forums

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer just told me that my vehicle which has 9500 miles but a 2019 needs a 20k brake service? WTF? Why? Has anyone else heard of this? I would think the brakes on the etron would require little to no maintenance since they are hardly used.

If anyone knows anything about this please post their knowledge.

Jason
I just had my 2019 eTron serviced for the 2 year interval.
the service schedule calls for brake fluid change at 20 k or 2 years. It has nothing to do with brake pad wear. See attached schedule detail

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts