Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hope everyone is staying safe and managing to enjoy the Christmas holidays.

We've had some snow this morning. Not a lot, about an inch, but enough to cover everything and take everybody by surprise - multiple minor car accidents in our village already.

This is the first chance I've had to drive the e-tron 50 in the snow. In the UK winter tyres are the exception at this time of year not the rule, mine has standard tyres on.

So 30 mins before departure I started the cabin pre-heating. After 20 minutes the snow was almost fully melted from all windows and mirrors. No need to scrape or brush snow from the car (yay, no minor scratches to paintwork or glass). Cabin warm. Leave the house, enter the car. Nice!

Set the car to all-road and off we went on a short drive on untreated roads. The Quattro system worked under acceleration a couple of times. Set to manual, level 2 (or 3, if you count nothing as setting 1) and braking was done mostly by the regen. On declines the regen braking kept things steady.

As with most journeys in the e-tron, it was an absolute pleasure driving in the snow.

Thought I'd start this thread for anyone wondering what an EV, particularly the e-tron, is like in snow. Anyone got any tips/pointers or cool features to point out in terms of snow driving and the e-tron?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @JNealCox I had a good read of that. Its very much a tyre discussion. I guess there's not a lot else to discuss? This thing is a boss in the snow. End of.
(I did notice the booming noise whilst in All-road mode, however. I'll post that in the relevant thread).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
What do folks do as the snow builds up on the eTron while driving? I've scoured Google and several forums. I'm sure that I'm not the only owner who notices that that snow doesn't melt on a hood with no hot engine! lol thoughts? (i'm not talking about starting cold, I condition the vehicle on a charger etc)

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Premium Plus w/ Black Optics
13 Posts
Hello,
What do folks do as the snow builds up on the eTron while driving? I've scoured Google and several forums. I'm sure that I'm not the only owner who notices that that snow doesn't melt on a hood with no hot engine! lol thoughts? (i'm not talking about starting cold, I condition the vehicle on a charger etc)
I am wondering the same thing! I have 1500 miles in mostly snow since December but all the drives have been short enough the accumulation hasn't built up to anything significant yet, but I thought about this same issue last week. Would be curious what people are doing, other than having to stop the car and get out to clean it off yourself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

Hope everyone is staying safe and managing to enjoy the Christmas holidays.

We've had some snow this morning. Not a lot, about an inch, but enough to cover everything and take everybody by surprise - multiple minor car accidents in our village already.

This is the first chance I've had to drive the e-tron 50 in the snow. In the UK winter tyres are the exception at this time of year not the rule, mine has standard tyres on.

So 30 mins before departure I started the cabin pre-heating. After 20 minutes the snow was almost fully melted from all windows and mirrors. No need to scrape or brush snow from the car (yay, no minor scratches to paintwork or glass). Cabin warm. Leave the house, enter the car. Nice!

Set the car to all-road and off we went on a short drive on untreated roads. The Quattro system worked under acceleration a couple of times. Set to manual, level 2 (or 3, if you count nothing as setting 1) and braking was done mostly by the regen. On declines the regen braking kept things steady.

As with most journeys in the e-tron, it was an absolute pleasure driving in the snow.

Thought I'd start this thread for anyone wondering what an EV, particularly the e-tron, is like in snow. Anyone got any tips/pointers or cool features to point out in terms of snow driving and the e-tron?
Hi,

I find the e-tron amazing in the snow even with standard tyres. I have owned many 4x4 vehicles over the years and when it snowed recently couldn't wait to try it and it performed amazingly well. Re-gen is great for downhill and the constant torque allow maximum traction. The all road setting appears ideal for most snow situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts