Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if you can pay to have Audi install the speed limit recognition software? I don't know if the present hardware can be utilized and it is just a simple software install to make the car recognize speed limit signs. I have a 2021 premier with the additional convenience package (adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, all that stuff). I've tried searching online but haven't found anything confirming you can get a dealership to just install some software.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
Not cheap: KUFATEC

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
the Module and the coding should do it- if you have the correct front camera module in place. Reach out to Kufatec. That's their business.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that OP is describing Traffic Sign Recognition
Well I know the car has the ability to recognize traffic signs, but I am specifically talking about speed limits where the car will read it and put you at that speed. Sorry I was pretty bad with explaining my initial post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone know if there’s a way to recognize speed limit signs, but not change vehicle behavior when recognized?
I find myself tooling along with DCC and lane keeping at 70+ MPH and we come to a work zone and the car drops to 55 MPH in the fast lane. That seems like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone know if there’s a way to recognize speed limit signs, but not change vehicle behavior when recognized?
I find myself tooling along with DCC and lane keeping at 70+ MPH and we come to a work zone and the car drops to 55 MPH in the fast lane. That seems like a recipe for disaster.
Agreed, that is a problem! There's a mention in the love/hate thread about this. (someone says there's a way to adjust or stop this, clarification still needed)

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Prestige, Glacier White Metallic
80 Posts
Yes you can. Reach out to AoA at +1 800 822 2834 and select the Etron option. Nick will likely answer and he can walk you through the configuration changes. My Etron was having navigation placement issues and it would cause me to drop down to frontage road speeds when driving on the highway and using the adaptive cruise control. As a result, AoA and my dealer have replaced the antenna and the 5f module to fix the issue. He recommended the configuration option as a short term solution. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes you can. Reach out to AoA at +1 800 822 2834 and select the Etron option. Nick will likely answer and he can walk you through the configuration changes. My Etron was having navigation placement issues and it would cause me to drop down to frontage road speeds when driving on the highway and using the adaptive cruise control. As a result, AoA and my dealer have replaced the antenna and the 5f module to fix the issue. He recommended the configuration option as a short term solution. I hope this helps!
I found the instructions sent to me from Nick (AoA):

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today, we greatly appreciate all of the feedback you were able to provide regarding your recent trip. Below I have included a few steps that you can perform in the e-tron's MMI that will adjust the response to posted speed limits while using the adaptive cruise control feature.
  • Select Vehicle from the home screen
  • Select Driver Assistance
  • Bring up the settings by selecting the gear icon
  • Adaptive cruise assist
  • Predictive control
  • Turn set speed limit to off

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found the instructions sent to me from Nick (AoA):

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today, we greatly appreciate all of the feedback you were able to provide regarding your recent trip. Below I have included a few steps that you can perform in the e-tron's MMI that will adjust the response to posted speed limits while using the adaptive cruise control feature.
  • Select Vehicle from the home screen
  • Select Driver Assistance
  • Bring up the settings by selecting the gear icon
  • Adaptive cruise assist
  • Predictive control
  • Turn set speed limit to off
Awesome. I just turned it off... will see how it works tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Premium Plus w/ Black Optics
13 Posts
Yep, this is what I was referring to also. I find it really annoying. Secondly, there are three, 3!!!, spots in the VirtualCockpit where it tells me the speed limit - I don't need that. I can get rid of two of those displays by pushing the cruise control stick all the way back (to the front of the car), but I still find that overkill.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good info here! I once came around a corner and the vehicle began slowing down, below the posted speed of 65 (CC was set at 75). I don’t know if the camera picked up a sign on the local street that caused it to do that but I was in the left lane when it occurred. At first I thought something was wrong with the vehicle, until I saw the message and wondered why it went below the posted speed but it had 40 showing and was flashing. This is something I am going to turn off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awesome thread.
This sudden deceleration feature is downright dangerous. It’s no different from brake checking the car behind. Recipe for disaster and cause for road rage. When it happened the first time the deceleration was so sudden and drastic I thought the car went dead.
Audi shouldn’t have tuned it on by default. What were they thinking?
@Hifixenthusiast Big thanks for posting the instructions to turn it off. It’s so many levels deep I totally missed it when I looked for it myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wonder how this feature behaves on the autobahn when the car is going 150+mph and it goes into an area with speed limit. Does it slam on the brakes with tires screeching and brakes smoking just to bring the car to speed limit.
Guess if it does we probably would have heard about it on the news by now. :unsure:

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
You're exaggerating. The deceleration is nowhere that drastic, it feels like very slight tapping on the brake, nothing more. For comparison, it is around 25% of the first step in the manual regen to get you the idea.
Audi shouldn’t have tuned it on by default. What were they thinking?
It is considered a safety feature, but optional. That is why you have a knob to turn it off. I kind of like it, since it is a reminder about speed limits that sometimes get missed. I do not feel braking is that strong to cause any problems with cars behind, unless someone is already sitting on your tail for no good reason to begin with.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts