Audi e-tron Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
The battery should last "the life of the car".
Typically, batteries lose about 1% of range per year.
studies I’ve read show a bigger drop in the first couple of years, less in subsequent years. But if Audi is guaranteeing you’ll have 70% remaining after 8 years, you are going to in practice be in much better shape. Im sure in reality it will be somewhere between 80 and 85 % at that point.

Us North Americans will be somewhat lucky, that we will have 2 years of evidence beyond our six years, as Europeans who had early deliveries reach that 8 year limit. We will have an idea at 5-6 years, whether it’s time to trade in or not,

· Registered
92 Posts
After 5-6 years, I don't think your loss will be all that big. As I mentioned, above, my Tesla lost 5% in 6 years (and 130,000 KM). I was on the executive of the Tesla Owners Club, and the consensus amongst us was that the 1% per year rule was very close to what was really happening.
800-1000 KM range by 2030? I think that's very optimistic. Perhaps, but the leap forward in battery tech is not growing in leaps, more like a brisk walk. The new Q8 looks to be in the mid 400's with a bigger battery than the 55 (at 351). The watts density IS better, but not much of a leap in 5 years.
I still believe our Audis will be touring in 7 years.

I've read about the bigger drop in early years, but it's not what I have experienced. Tesla - linear. Audi 55 Sportback - No losses in almost 18 months. I suspect we will all be significantly above the 85% level at 8 years, unless the battery is abused (HVDC charging as the norm, charging to 100%, and depleting to near 0% regularly). As I mentioned in my initial post; the battery should last the life of the car. I think we'll have bigger issues with the electronics in our cars, before we see battery issues.

If we do have battery issues shortly after 8 years, the EV industry will come under a huge scrutiny by the public. I don't believe that will happen.

I spend a lot of time defending EV's on social media. The EV "deniers" are quick to say that battery replacement is $30,000, and that most EV's will need a replacement battery by 8 years. It's just not true. I would guess that the number of battery replacements, by percentage, will be lower than engine rebuilds or transmission replacements in ICE. Note that the first Tesla Model S were in 2012. 11 years - and most are on the original first generation battery. My son has my 2015 S85D ( 8 years, 170,000 KM) - no sign that the battery is anywhere near done.
All great info based on experience, not guesses!

With the Lucid air rated at over 500 miles EPA, it’s already in the 800 km range. One of the Mercedes is close too if I recall correctly. Not a for sure, but I think there will indeed be long range options for those that want them by 2030. Also will be way more 200 km cheap city cars too… or at least there should be!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts