Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****- the sprinklers at Holiday Inn in Santa Maria, CA sprayed the rear 3/4 of eTron driver side. Didn’t realize how bad the water spot etching was.

Tried 50:50 diluted Meguairs Acidic Wheel cleaner and 50:50 vinegar: distilled water to try and chemically remove, but didn't remove all of it.

Light hand Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro One and Done didn’t remove all of it either. Had to break out the big gun.

These pix after breaking out the Flex DA and paint correction and then recoat Glassparency Graphene nano coating- however to my dismay, in different light I could still see some faint remnants of some of the water spots. :(:cry:

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
168 Posts
Have you tried this stuff? It is the one product I have found that consistently solves this problem. When my RS7 got sprinklered after moving to an area where hardness is off the charts, I was just sick. But this thing took care of all of it. My car has Xpel PPF, which may have helped.

·
Registered
2020 etron 50 Black Edition
57 Posts
this worked for me. - Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I have not found the Meguiar's DCS1PC adequately "abrasive" to cut our severe hard water spots, but on lower hardness spots, it might work well. Just don't get that Meguiar's on any plastic or vinyl.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: learned some new ways to remove stubborn water spots. Reproduce the conditions when the water spots were formed. The next day, under those conditions were I believe they were formed low 60s, with increasing humidity in early evening, I was able to polish out the remaining water spots by hand and an applicator pad of TW Hybrid Solutions Pro One and Done Polishing Compound. Back to prestine surface.

Reactions: drunkenspyder

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Update: learned some new ways to remove stubborn water spots. Reproduce the conditions when the water spots were formed. The next day, under those conditions were I believe they were formed low 60s, with increasing humidity in early evening, I was able to polish out the remaining water spots by hand and an applicator pad of TW Hybrid Solutions Pro One and Done Polishing Compound. Back to prestine surface.
Interesting video; thanks for posting; watched it twice. I am not sure about the science here. Anyway, he made the classic mistake, as he says, of letting water droplets get exposed to and dry in direct sun. Obviously, we never want to do that. More importantly, this was apparently with water he otherwise normally uses. And that's an important distinction. Truly hard water is a different problem from sun-dried water droplets. And one should not be washing one's car with hard water, either intentionally or by accident, as in sprinkler exposure. Man, I hate that

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The water spots returned as the temps cooled off into low 60s/upper 50s and increasing humidity. Reappeared on the rear quarter panel, top edge of decklid, and rear driverside bumper cover and part of the top edge of the lower valance.

Had to break out the Flex DA again to compound off the Glassparency graphene nano coating to reach the waterspots. This time I did it at 1130pm which I believe is similar to the environment when the original sprinklers hit the side of the eTron.

Hopefully, this will be it- will finish inspection and recoat that affected parts of the eTron tomorrow during the day.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
These water spots were stubborn as ****. Saw some more rear appear on the top of the decklid and rear bumper cover and went back to work for some additional paint correction, Car Pro Erase, Ethos Car Care Detox, and then Glassparency Graphene nano coating.

This time, I used an orange pad (instead of a white one) and the TW Hubrid Solutions Pro Precision Platelet One and Done Compound. Worked like a charm! (just went outside during the day to inspect the work- only 1 high spot that I missed and corrected).

Now that I found a proven method on my mythos black metallic paint- perhaps, I will attempt to re-correct the top edge of the doors after the long weekend to get the OCD panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts