Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was monitoring electricity usage while enabling stationary climate control
Unfortunately, it triggers a momentary charging session in addition to starting the climate control
This is bad for battery longevity
From now on will only use stationary climate control at great need

·
Registered
4 Posts
No not at all. It helps in the winter when you need all the battery for a journey, then it will pull power from your mains instead of the battery.

Lithium batteries doesn't have memory so it will only be the contacts/switches that would get worn. But those are almost bulletproof.

·
Registered
955 Posts
No not at all. It helps in the winter when you need all the battery for a journey, then it will pull power from your mains instead of the battery.

Lithium batteries doesn't have memory so it will only be the contacts/switches that would get worn. But those are almost bulletproof.
I agree that the few cycles of recharging would have minimal impact on the health of the relays. As far as how this replenishing works, most observations seem to show that the heater/AC draws down the battery by about 1% and then the battery recharges from the wall. The heating/AC does not draw directly from the wall. But there, also, such shallow charging for a few cycles should not be an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok. Then i think misunderstood you. :)
not sure if it will have any impact on the life on the battery, but the previous Tesla's that I have owned all drained like crazy. When connected to a charger it recharges itself, it becomes a lot of cycles but then again it isn't much different than the recuperation process that happens while driving.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ok. Then i think misunderstood you. :)
not sure if it will have any impact on the life on the battery, but the previous Tesla's that I have owned all drained like crazy. When connected to a charger it recharges itself, it becomes a lot of cycles but then again it isn't much different than the recuperation process that happens while driving.
Right, the recharging process is part of the DNA of EV's. I think Stationary Conditioning is limited to 2 hours, while conditioning as part of a timer is limited to 30 minutes. That would limit the wear.

I would be concerned about the issue that some are facing with overnight recharging, where, once charging completes, the car starts to constantly recycle until disconnected. Hours of recycling like that does not sound good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts