Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all --

I have an Audi e-tron Sportback, I believe the Prestige Model. I really love it. But there is one problem I noted today that I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered. While driving at about 80/85 miles per hour on the Interstate and in one direction or the other (not in a straight line), I noticed a sort of shimmy come up the steering column into the wheel. It happened several times and I don't really think that the danger was that high, but it's a bit disconcerting.

I've got it down to a few options but I really would like input:

There's a real steering problem here.
It's a heavy car and 80/85 mph is pretty fast
It's a heavy car and 80/85mph is pretty fast and I had max regen on.

I should also say that I haven't had it all that long and since COVID has me working from home, I just don't have enough experience with the car in these conditions to have noticed some sort of change. I received it in March 2020 and it still has only 1008 miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Are you sure it was just your "Lane Assist"? If it is turned on, it alerts you when you are about to drift out of your lane (ie, when you get close to side of your lane or the other) by making the steering wheel vibrate (feels like running over highway reflectors). Otherwise, there has been at least one TSB regarding car vibrations occurring at certain speeds---but, slower than 80 to 85, as I recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it was just your "Lane Assist"? If it is turned on, it alerts you when you are about to drift out of your lane (ie, when you get close to side of your lane or the other) by making the steering wheel vibrate (feels like running over highway reflectors). Otherwise, there has been at least one TSB regarding car vibrations occurring at certain speeds---but, slower than 80 to 85, as I recall.
Thanks but I know what that's like. Sometimes I'm too lazy to use the directional and that kicks in. This is more like a very brief "squiggle."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update FWIT: I've determined that the problem was difficult to see ruts in portions of I-95 with a different type of road surface, that of overpassess versus pavement. I was driving my ford Mach-e yesterday and got the same little squiggle.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Update FWIT: I've determined that the problem was difficult to see ruts in portions of I-95 with a different type of road surface, that of overpassess versus pavement. I was driving my ford Mach-e yesterday and got the same little squiggle.
Oh, are you talking about "guttering"? Out here in Oregon it is a big problem. The state still allows studded snow tires. The highways get grooves worn into them by studded tires, like bowling lane "gutters". Out here when your car slips into the grooves, it tries to go its own way!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, are you talking about "guttering"? Out here in Oregon it is a big problem. The state still allows studded snow tires. The highways get grooves worn into them by studded tires, like bowling lane "gutters". Out here when your car slips into the grooves, it tries to go its own way!
I think it's something like that on the light colored porous road surface that's used for the overpasses.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
The same problem on I-25 south of Denver - the concrete pavement has grooving that happens to work really bad with some of car tires depending on the size. On some sections, grooves are wide enough to drag the car around. It can be pretty scary the first time it happens but once you know what to expect, it is just something to live with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts