Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i took delivery of a 55 Quattro last week and on a number of occasions the steering moves suddenly. It feels as though the steering wheel has taken on a life of its own and it pulls to one side. It only happens for a second but is most disconcerting.. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I’ve had that at the same point on the same road twice. I usually just leave the lane keeping assist on and I suspect that’s the issue. There must be something the system sees that it doesn’t like. I believe where it occurs, there is a left turn lane and the car tugs right, but I need to look more closely. I’ll probably try driving that same stretch with both the lane keeping on & off.

I’ve had exactly this issue with the ‘self-driving’ function on the Tesla. There were several spots on certain roads where the car wanted to steer right and hit a metal guardrail. The Audi behavior isn’t nearly that bad, but the behavior itself doesn’t surprise me and isn’t new to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is the lane assist. You are too close to the lines on the road so the car is moving you back into the middle of the lane. If you look at the dash, you will see the lane assist symbol is green. At the point that the steering wheel auto-corrects your cars position one of the dotted lines on the lane assist will turn red to indicate you are too close to the edge of the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is the lane assist kicking in. I've also had this happen a few times on a curve if the car thinks it should correct the trajectory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
i took delivery of a 55 Quattro last week and on a number of occasions the steering moves suddenly. It feels as though the steering wheel has taken on a life of its own and it pulls to one side. It only happens for a second but is most disconcerting.. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks you all for the advise. It was, as suggested, the lane assist, switched It off and all Is fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My line keep assist has tried to take out the occasional cyclist!

Fine when you indicate around them, but if not, sometimes it doesn't see them and swerves towards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife drives a 2019 BMW Z4. That waits until you are a few inches away from a white line and then gives the steering a sharp tug. Perhaps it's more luck than judgement in the way I have set it up, but my e-tron does a much better job of holding a course midway between the side and middle of the road. What I find disconcerting is when it decides a bend is too sharp to follow and it flashes up the 'for goodness sake take over' message - I may have paraphrased that! It tends to give cyclists a wide berth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts