Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... first time posting here and I have searched but can't find anyone complaining about this issue that I'm having.

What happens is that I'll be backing out of my driveway and suddenly the car will slam to a stop. If I look down, the car will now be showing that it's in Park even though I didn't touch the shifter. If I try to shift into Reverse again, I will get a message to the effect of "Vehicle must be ON in order to make that selection". Keep in mind that the MMI, radio, etc are all still running, but the car seems to think it's off or accessory mode. If I then press the Start button to restart the vehicle, nothing happens. I press it again about 20 times and eventually all of the screens will go black. I continue pressing the start button and finally after waiting 30 seconds or so the car will re-start again and I can drive away without further issues.

I currently have about 2000 miles on my etron and it's been having this problem since day 1. I've taken it to the dealership, it's spent over a week there and all they can say is "Vehicle is performing as designed"

Since the dealership was useless, I spent some time troubleshooting and what I have found is that the problem only occurs after I have been charging. I have a ChargePoint Flex and have tested with that and also the included Audi EVSE, but both trigger the issue. I also found that I have to be charging about 20 mins or more to trigger the problem. If I quickly plug and then unplug 5 mins later, I won't have a problem. I tried removing all of the timers, advanced charging settings, etc but nothing helped. I have tried using the charging ports on both sides of the etron, same issue. I also noticed that the problem only seems to occur in reverse. If I back into my garage and then just pull straight out the problem doesn't occur.

This is really annoying and I assume eventually something is going to break in the transmission because it's a pretty violent stop when it suddenly slams into park even if I'm backing up slowly. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I should have mentioned this is a 2021 etron, and I'm located in the United States in case that matters

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a 2019 and have never experienced or heard of this kind of problem. Very disconcerting and certainly makes you lose faith in how the car will handle. Am I right to assume that the "shutdown screen" does not pop up when this problem occurs and it tells you the car needs to be turned on? I, myself, have issues sometimes in knowing if the car is on or off just based on the MMI and entertainment. The car does not fully go black until I open the driver's door. Have you explored whether opening and closing the driver's door plays a roll in all of this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2019 and have never experienced or heard of this kind of problem. Very disconcerting and certainly makes you lose faith in how the car will handle. Am I right to assume that the "shutdown screen" does not pop up when this problem occurs and it tells you the car needs to be turned on? I, myself, have issues sometimes in knowing if the car is on or off just based on the MMI and entertainment. The car does not fully go black until I open the driver's door. Have you explored whether opening and closing the driver's door plays a roll in all of this?
When this issue occurs, the dashboard and radio still appear to be "on" but the car goes into park. I don't get the "shutdown" screen at all in relation to this problem. It's almost like it's in accessory mode since it won't shift into gear, but frozen/locked up at the same time... it's really strange.

·
Registered
467 Posts
There is just no reason why any of what you are doing would force the car to automatically shift into Park. In fact, I can't think of any situation where you would want a set up so that the car could EVER set itself to Park. You should keep on top of the Dealer on this. Make sure you talk with one of their "E Tron" technicians and not just any staff. I find at my Dealer, while the service has been really good, there are only a few who really know what they are talking about. I think most of the rest are in denial about EV's in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts