Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone... first time posting here and I have searched but can't find anyone complaining about this issue that I'm having.

What happens is that I'll be backing out of my driveway and suddenly the car will slam to a stop. If I look down, the car will now be showing that it's in Park even though I didn't touch the shifter. If I try to shift into Reverse again, I will get a message to the effect of "Vehicle must be ON in order to make that selection". Keep in mind that the MMI, radio, etc are all still running, but the car seems to think it's off or accessory mode. If I then press the Start button to restart the vehicle, nothing happens. I press it again about 20 times and eventually all of the screens will go black. I continue pressing the start button and finally after waiting 30 seconds or so the car will re-start again and I can drive away without further issues.

I currently have about 2000 miles on my etron and it's been having this problem since day 1. I've taken it to the dealership, it's spent over a week there and all they can say is "Vehicle is performing as designed"

Since the dealership was useless, I spent some time troubleshooting and what I have found is that the problem only occurs after I have been charging. I have a ChargePoint Flex and have tested with that and also the included Audi EVSE, but both trigger the issue. I also found that I have to be charging about 20 mins or more to trigger the problem. If I quickly plug and then unplug 5 mins later, I won't have a problem. I tried removing all of the timers, advanced charging settings, etc but nothing helped. I have tried using the charging ports on both sides of the etron, same issue. I also noticed that the problem only seems to occur in reverse. If I back into my garage and then just pull straight out the problem doesn't occur.

This is really annoying and I assume eventually something is going to break in the transmission because it's a pretty violent stop when it suddenly slams into park even if I'm backing up slowly. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I should have mentioned this is a 2021 etron, and I'm located in the United States in case that matters

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a 2019 and have never experienced or heard of this kind of problem. Very disconcerting and certainly makes you lose faith in how the car will handle. Am I right to assume that the "shutdown screen" does not pop up when this problem occurs and it tells you the car needs to be turned on? I, myself, have issues sometimes in knowing if the car is on or off just based on the MMI and entertainment. The car does not fully go black until I open the driver's door. Have you explored whether opening and closing the driver's door plays a roll in all of this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2019 and have never experienced or heard of this kind of problem. Very disconcerting and certainly makes you lose faith in how the car will handle. Am I right to assume that the "shutdown screen" does not pop up when this problem occurs and it tells you the car needs to be turned on? I, myself, have issues sometimes in knowing if the car is on or off just based on the MMI and entertainment. The car does not fully go black until I open the driver's door. Have you explored whether opening and closing the driver's door plays a roll in all of this?
When this issue occurs, the dashboard and radio still appear to be "on" but the car goes into park. I don't get the "shutdown" screen at all in relation to this problem. It's almost like it's in accessory mode since it won't shift into gear, but frozen/locked up at the same time... it's really strange.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
There is just no reason why any of what you are doing would force the car to automatically shift into Park. In fact, I can't think of any situation where you would want a set up so that the car could EVER set itself to Park. You should keep on top of the Dealer on this. Make sure you talk with one of their "E Tron" technicians and not just any staff. I find at my Dealer, while the service has been really good, there are only a few who really know what they are talking about. I think most of the rest are in denial about EV's in the future.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had this once, are you sure you're not getting a Audi pre-sense issue, e.g. a rear cross traffic, or a fox or something. The car once hard stopped me, when there was as far as I could tell nothing behind me. A warning message was displayed in dash, but it went fairly quickly...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I had this once, are you sure you're not getting a Audi pre-sense issue, e.g. a rear cross traffic, or a fox or something. The car once hard stopped me, when there was as far as I could tell nothing behind me. A warning message was displayed in dash, but it went fairly quickly...
This is a good point! What sensitivity setting do you have your Pre-sense set to? If it is Early, you might switch it to Normal. (or, if Normal, to Late?) I tried using it set to Early but found it made the Side Presense (Blind Spot detection) worthless. It was alerting me to cars that were easily two car spaces behind me. I use the Normal setting now and it works well. If changing the setting doesn't help, you may have a faulty Pre-Sense system module.

·
Registered
2021 Audi E-tron Sportback Prestige
31 Posts
I decided to test out the pre-sense while backing out to see if it would stop me from hitting a traffic cone. The warnings flashed but the car did not stop on its own and allowed me to hit it. Is this normal or a faulty system.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My understanding is that the car will apply true emergency braking and steering adjustments when it senses a REAL emergency situation--but those would be situations difficult for you to imitate without putting yourself at great risk. (eg, swerving to the very edge of losing control). I'm guessing what you experienced in your cone test is normal, but you should do your own reading in the Audi Manual to verify that. In a case of backing up under conditions where you have time to react but the car senses "something", the car defers to you. This emergency braking, etc, is only supposed to kick in when the car senses an uncontrolled situation. (There are other threads where people complain that they supposedly pay big bucks for this emergency protection, but there is no way to realistically test for it

You know, I retrospect, if it is a Presense issue, I doubt that any false "emergency" reaction by the car would reset your car to Park. That's just strange.

When you start the car up, how long do you wait before you start to back out of the garage?

·
Registered
360 Posts
As the cone wasn’t moving it probably thought you had been made aware of it and have still asked the car to move. After all the sensors went off. It’s still possible to crash the car if you keep accelerating after a warning.

if the cone was ‘walking’ across behind the car then you may have found it would have reacted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone... first time posting here and I have searched but can't find anyone complaining about this issue that I'm having.

What happens is that I'll be backing out of my driveway and suddenly the car will slam to a stop. If I look down, the car will now be showing that it's in Park even though I didn't touch the shifter. If I try to shift into Reverse again, I will get a message to the effect of "Vehicle must be ON in order to make that selection". Keep in mind that the MMI, radio, etc are all still running, but the car seems to think it's off or accessory mode. If I then press the Start button to restart the vehicle, nothing happens. I press it again about 20 times and eventually all of the screens will go black. I continue pressing the start button and finally after waiting 30 seconds or so the car will re-start again and I can drive away without further issues.

I currently have about 2000 miles on my etron and it's been having this problem since day 1. I've taken it to the dealership, it's spent over a week there and all they can say is "Vehicle is performing as designed"

Since the dealership was useless, I spent some time troubleshooting and what I have found is that the problem only occurs after I have been charging. I have a ChargePoint Flex and have tested with that and also the included Audi EVSE, but both trigger the issue. I also found that I have to be charging about 20 mins or more to trigger the problem. If I quickly plug and then unplug 5 mins later, I won't have a problem. I tried removing all of the timers, advanced charging settings, etc but nothing helped. I have tried using the charging ports on both sides of the etron, same issue. I also noticed that the problem only seems to occur in reverse. If I back into my garage and then just pull straight out the problem doesn't occur.

This is really annoying and I assume eventually something is going to break in the transmission because it's a pretty violent stop when it suddenly slams into park even if I'm backing up slowly. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I should have mentioned this is a 2021 etron, and I'm located in the United States in case that matters
I also have a 2021 Etron and I have had the same thing happen! It's been happening since day one as well. I haven't even had it for 1 month yet and less and 700 miles on it. I have the dealer taking it in next week to look into the issue. I was backing out of the driveway the other day and it did the same thing except it didn't even go into park it went into neutral and I lost power brakes and lower steering.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I also have a 2021 Etron and I have had the same thing happen! It's been happening since day one as well. I haven't even had it for 1 month yet and less and 700 miles on it. I have the dealer taking it in next week to look into the issue. I was backing out of the driveway the other day and it did the same thing except it didn't even go into park it went into neutral and I lost power brakes and lower steering.
I hope your driveway is not a steep incline! I'd make a point to them about what a safety/liability issue this is. Make them a little nervous! Do you have a relative who is a lawyer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope your driveway is not a steep incline! I'd make a point to them about what a safety/liability issue this is. Make them a little nervous! Do you have a relative who is a lawyer?
We have a family lawyer we use. I absolutely love the car and I'm hoping they can just fix the issue because I don't want it to become a huge headache.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same happen with the 2021 E-tron Sportback I got as a loaner a month or so ago. I was backing out of a charging spot in a parking garage. No obstacles anywhere near the car. The car came to a sudden stop and was turned off. It took hitting the power button a few times until it went back to normal operation. It was really weird, I never had this happen with my 2019 E-tron.

·
Registered
186 Posts
When you experience these things, pull out your phone and do a video on it. I had issues on a previous car and the dealer couldn’t find anything ever time I took it in, so I took a video and showed them the next time. Then emailed to them so they could send it to corporate for instructions. If the tech can’t see it when you take it in or duplicate it and the scanner picks up no codes, they have no direction on how to proceed. This vehicle is relatively new so we will experience some new model issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I’m having this exact issue except mine did it while driving through my neighborhood at about 20 mph; the pre sense light then came on but I had no control of the vehicle and had to try an restart it a few times before it would go...the dealership told me to “bring it in” and I was like - um, did you hear what I said? The car literally turned off while I was driving it - you need to send someone to tow it...so they have it now but I’m not confident anything is going to get fixed properly at this point - very frustrating.

·
Registered
7 Posts

My understanding is that the car will apply true emergency braking and steering adjustments when it senses a REAL emergency situation--but those would be situations difficult for you to imitate without putting yourself at great risk. (eg, swerving to the very edge of losing control). I'm guessing what you experienced in your cone test is normal, but you should do your own reading in the Audi Manual to verify that. In a case of backing up under conditions where you have time to react but the car senses "something", the car defers to you. This emergency braking, etc, is only supposed to kick in when the car senses an uncontrolled situation. (There are other threads where people complain that they supposedly pay big bucks for this emergency protection, but there is no way to realistically test for it

You know, I retrospect, if it is a Presense issue, I doubt that any false "emergency" reaction by the car would reset your car to Park. That's just strange.

When you start the car up, how long do you wait before you start to back out of the garage?
Hi Corrie, did you ever figure out a resolution to this issue? I have had the exact same problem, only mine occurs in my 2021 e-tron driving forward out of the neighborhood. It’s happened four times in 7 months of ownership with the latest incident happening today. I had just unplugged the vehicle after an overnight recharge back to 80%. No error messages. Definitely not tied to pre-sense from what I can see. Car just shifts immediately into Park and it takes a minute or two before the On/Off button is able to reset the car. Once reset, the car operates normally without any issues. It’s relatively rare and has never occurred twice in the same day. Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Corrie, did you ever figure out a resolution to this issue? I have had the exact same problem, only mine occurs in my 2021 e-tron driving forward out of the neighborhood. It’s happened four times in 7 months of ownership with the latest incident happening today. I had just unplugged the vehicle after an overnight recharge back to 80%. No error messages. Definitely not tied to pre-sense from what I can see. Car just shifts immediately into Park and it takes a minute or two before the On/Off button is able to reset the car. Once reset, the car operates normally without any issues. It’s relatively rare and has never occurred twice in the same day. Thanks for any guidance.
JohnG that sounds exactly like my issue where the car would shift to park, shut off and then refuse to restart for a minute.

I am no longer having the issue, although I'm not exactly sure what fixed it. I took my car to the dealer multiple times and they each time they said everything was working perfectly. Then one day I went to drive my car and the charge cord wouldn't release. I eventually had to use the emergency release to unplug my car, but after that the charge door wouldn't move at all. I called the dealer and of course they insisted I was doing something wrong, told me to unlock the car, open and close the drivers door, etc but nothing worked. They told me to bring it to them so they could show me how to work the charge door (as if I don't know how to work the button properly). Get to the dealer and they are like "oh wow, yeah the charge door isn't working.. that's strange" They took about a week to diagnose the issue and said they needed to replace the charge door mechanism. The part was backordered so that took about 2 weeks to arrive, and then it took a couple days to repair because apparently thanks to "German Engineering" you have to remove the front fender to replace the charge door, and it's held on with some kind of one time use adhesive, so long story short they had to remove and repaint the fender along with some trim pieces just to fix it.

After the charge door was replaced, it's been 2 months and I haven't had a single issue with the car shutting off and I've also not had any issues with the car not charging properly which happened a few times previously. I have no idea how the failure of the charge door had anything to do with the car shutting off, but apparently it did. Wish I could be more help, but if your charge door isn't giving you any issues I'm sure your dealer won't replace it, plus it's not clear to me why that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
JohnG that sounds exactly like my issue where the car would shift to park, shut off and then refuse to restart for a minute.

I am no longer having the issue, although I'm not exactly sure what fixed it. I took my car to the dealer multiple times and they each time they said everything was working perfectly. Then one day I went to drive my car and the charge cord wouldn't release. I eventually had to use the emergency release to unplug my car, but after that the charge door wouldn't move at all. I called the dealer and of course they insisted I was doing something wrong, told me to unlock the car, open and close the drivers door, etc but nothing worked. They told me to bring it to them so they could show me how to work the charge door (as if I don't know how to work the button properly). Get to the dealer and they are like "oh wow, yeah the charge door isn't working.. that's strange" They took about a week to diagnose the issue and said they needed to replace the charge door mechanism. The part was backordered so that took about 2 weeks to arrive, and then it took a couple days to repair because apparently thanks to "German Engineering" you have to remove the front fender to replace the charge door, and it's held on with some kind of one time use adhesive, so long story short they had to remove and repaint the fender along with some trim pieces just to fix it.

After the charge door was replaced, it's been 2 months and I haven't had a single issue with the car shutting off and I've also not had any issues with the car not charging properly which happened a few times previously. I have no idea how the failure of the charge door had anything to do with the car shutting off, but apparently it did. Wish I could be more help, but if your charge door isn't giving you any issues I'm sure your dealer won't replace it, plus it's not clear to me why that fixed the problem.
Corrie,
Thanks for the detailed reply. I’m glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. (Hopefully we didn’t just jinx it!) I’ve not had issues with charging. Only on rare occasions have I had issues with the charge port door not opening right away. I have never had it fully stuck, but once or twice it took multiple attempts pressing the button to finally open. I’m not sure that’s been correlated with the instances of shifting into Park though. I do think the issue seems to be related to charging. I use a ChargePoint home charger, and so far my charging experiences have been smooth. Just odd that after some charges, the car will suddenly shift into Park while driving and won’t respond to further gear shifts until it’s been reset. If others have more info, please share. Otherwise, happy with the car overall and have roughly 3500 miles at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my 2021 e-tron in Nov '20 and have had the same problem off and on. Before today, it was always after I had backed out of the garage and put it into drive. Today it happened when I was half out of the garage. Normally, it won't start again until I close and open the car door. Today, it did start right back up. So far, it has only ever happened in my own driveway. I have had the charger door lock up a few times, though it has always finally opened or closed after several pushes of the button.

I haven't yet taken it in to the dealer because it has been so random that I am not even sure what to tell them. I think I will set up a spreadsheet to track what happens every time I leave, but that is going to be a pain. However, I get the "We can't fix what we can't see" issue, and this is the only way I can think of to provide them with data.

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem, though. For awhile I thought I must be imagining it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi HmCody,
Yes, I agree that the issue is highly odd and hard to describe. At first, I thought I accidentally did something to trigger the car to suddenly shift into Park, but I realized the pattern after a few times. That’s a good idea to track the issue with a spreadsheet to better find a potential trigger. My only anecdotal observation is that mine seems to happen after I charge, but I believe that it happens or is more likely to happen when I charge overnight. I don’t think it’s ever happened when I charged and used the car same day. I’m curious, have you noticed that pattern? Is your issue also after charging or after an overnight charge?
Thanks,
John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts