Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I’m new to the forum and just bought a Porsche Taycan and an Audi E-tron.
I wanted to use the same charger for both cars to avoid a second 240 V. Connection , but the Porsche charger keeps sending a message of overheating when I plug it to the E-Tron.
Does anyone knows why is this? Or a way to go around it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you try the Audi EVSE to see if it works with both cars? Since these are standard J1772, they should just work every which way. There could be something wrong with the Porsche EVSE.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi guys.
I wanted to use the same charger for both cars to avoid a second 240 V. Connection , but the Porsche charger keeps sending a message of overheating when I plug it to the E-Tron.
Thanks.
What are the UL ratings for the two charger boxes? I know for the E Tron EVSE it is rated at 40A, which means it needs to be plugged into a house circuit rated for 50A or more when under continuous use.

Also the E Tron EVSE gives you the option of using the box at 100% or 50% for full power. Does the Porsche charger have the same option? You may need to rachet back the supplied power when charging the E Tron with the Porsche charger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Porsche box is set at 40 Amos.
perhaps I can take it down to 30 to avoid hearing.
thanks.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
44 Posts
Hi guys.
Thanks.
You need to know what is overheating.

Many EVSE's monitor the temperature of the plugs. If so, which plug is overheating? And why??

A current reduction might hide a problem for a while. Hiding problems can cause bigger problems later.

This should work. The fact that it isn't is a red flag warning. Bad wiring connections, too small of wire size, corroded connections and so on.

·
Registered
632 Posts
So, both EVES's are rated for 40A. Yes, the overheating is kind of curious. First, I think you want to make sure you are using a house circuit that is adequately rated for use by 40 A chargers, continuous charging---basically a circuit rated for 50A. The cars charge fine if you use their respective chargers? The problem only occurs when you try to use one car's charger on the other car? If the house circuit is marginal, then slight differences in the charging characteristics might nudge certain combination of car and charger into overheating. Still, dropping the box down to lower amperage should help, but will slow down the charging rate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts