Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased or used
or had any experience with the TeslaTap charging adapter 80 amp.
I would like to purchase one but want to be sure it will work. Thanks for the info .
Roy P.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't but I'm pretty sure it should work. Do you have a Tesla charger at home? It does NOT allow you to use a Tesla Supercharger.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
182 Posts
I'm using the 50A, which maxes out at 11 kW. Unless I am mistaken, the 80A will provide no additional benefit as the onboard charger is limited to 11kW.

They work well, just be sure to disable any charge timers or else the car will cycle the EVSE constantly, leading to breakage.

Useful for trips since Tesla destination chargers often have more juice than their accompanying J1772s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using the 50A, which maxes out at 11 kW. Unless I am mistaken, the 80A will provide no additional benefit as the onboard charger is limited to 11kW.

They work well, just be sure to disable any charge timers or else the car will cycle the EVSE constantly, leading to breakage.

Useful for trips since Tesla destination chargers often have more juice than their accompanying J1772s.
Hello Polyponic,
Just to clarify , you are using the 50a and its working well for you?
Tks Roy P.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
182 Posts
Yep 50A. They say it supports 12 kW charging. Can't think of a good reason to the the 80A in the US, unless you somehow have a 22 kW onboard charger and run a taxi service ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am using the Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter purchased from Amazon with my HPWC, originally installed for 80 amp use

It works perfectly, although there is no way to lock the two together, risking a disconnect if left unattended in a public area. Since I use it only at home, this is not an issue.

My 2017 90D was built just before Tesla discontinued the double speed internal charger, allowing me to charge at home over 40 MPH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts