Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is my first time owning an electric vehicle. Is there any Donts I should be aware of that are not with a ICE car?
For example while washing the car is There anything I should be aware of so I dont get moisture in the batteries ?
If im off-roading or at a bad damaged road where there is standing water, am I to avoid taking the car there so the water doesnt damage the batteries? as in do I have to take extra precaution because It’s an EV or just treat it like a ICE car in such a situation.
any other things I should be aware of? sorryfor the noob questions, like I said it’s my first time owning a EV.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don'ts - Don't obsess with the efficiency read-outs. We didn't need to with ICE cars and we needn't with this particular EV (nor most EVs).

If you hammer it, range decreases just like an ICE.
If you do short journeys the battery and motor are cold and less efficient, so efficiency and overall range will decrease just like an ICE.
If the weather is favourable, you will go further than usual just like an ICE.
If the weather is cold/wet/windy, you won't go as far just like an ICE.
Manufacturers' range and efficiency ratings are optimistic, just like with ICEs.

ICE vehicles had a more energy dense fuel so range was less of an issue. MPG or litres per kilometer or kilometers per litre etc were figures we'd not pay much attention to.
EVs tend to have smaller range but the same, above, principles apply. Yet everyone is fixated with squeezing as much efficiency out of their EV.

The GOM - guess o'meter - is pretty good on this car. Try not to fret about efficiency, the car will tell you how far you're gonna go with the remaining charge (better than ICE versions IMO).

DON'T hold back on enjoying the car. Recharge over night. It'll still be cheaper to run than your old ICE!

·
Registered
25 Posts
They also recommend not charging to 100% every night. Intended more for long range driving needs. General rule of thumb is to use an 80% charge for daily needs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don'ts - Don't obsess with the efficiency read-outs. We didn't need to with ICE cars and we needn't with this particular EV (nor most EVs).

If you hammer it, range decreases just like an ICE.
If you do short journeys the battery and motor are cold and less efficient, so efficiency and overall range will decrease just like an ICE.
If the weather is favourable, you will go further than usual just like an ICE.
If the weather is cold/wet/windy, you won't go as far just like an ICE.
Manufacturers' range and efficiency ratings are optimistic, just like with ICEs.

ICE vehicles had a more energy dense fuel so range was less of an issue. MPG or litres per kilometer or kilometers per litre etc were figures we'd not pay much attention to.
EVs tend to have smaller range but the same, above, principles apply. Yet everyone is fixated with squeezing as much efficiency out of their EV.

The GOM - guess o'meter - is pretty good on this car. Try not to fret about efficiency, the car will tell you how far you're gonna go with the remaining charge (better than ICE versions IMO).

DON'T hold back on enjoying the car. Recharge over night. It'll still be cheaper to run than your old ICE!
THANK YOU. Some long-time owners on here could reread this, too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is more of a do than a don't. Do familiarize yourself with the various charger networks in your area, download apps, register and create accounts ahead of time. Try out the Electrify America network BEFORE taking any extended trip so you know how it works.

Also, do get familiar with your comfort level tied to range. For example, my wife had some range anxiety and always wanted the car charged to 100%. I thought 80% was adequate so we finally agreed that we would do 80% on weekdays and I'd raise it to 100% on weekends. Works very well for us and our usage.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
According to the manual the e-Tron is not meant to be driven through water which rises above the underbody, as they say it can cause damage to the motors and power control electronics. Even though this might seem like an obvious point it should be considered before driving through a flooded section of road.

Oh, and look in the ‘frunk’ under the charging cable storage - if you didn’t already lift it out and look underneath there’s a DC tyre inflator and the special wheel nut remover coded for your vehicle. Don’t ask me how long it took to find that when I tried to remove a wheel once😇

·
Registered
286 Posts
The e-Tron is not meant to be driven through water which falls above the base of the body, it can cause damage to the motors and power control electronics. So even though this might seem like an obvious point it should be considered before driving through a flooded section of road.

Oh, and look in the ‘frunk’ under the charging cable storage - if you didn’t already lift it out and look underneath there’s a DC tyre inflator and the special wheel nut remover coded for your vehicle. Don’t ask me how long it took to find that when I tried to remove a wheel once😇
Did you find a can of the sealant in the lower frunk area? The imprinted space seems so show a space for it, but the can is not there. Others have reported this, too. I was wondering if Audi does not recommend the sealant for tires on the E tron.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
There wasn’t any can of sealant, perhaps because the manufacturer supplied tyres have foam inner fill for noise reduction purposes?

·
Registered
286 Posts
But the U.S. vehicles have a spare tire, so why would they provide both sealant and the spare?
If you read through the instructions for dealing with a flat tire, they first advise trying the use the sealant to repair the original tire to get you to a tire shop. If that fails, then they go through using the compact, expandable spare--which is not particularly straight forward. I suppose they may have dropped the sealant step given that most tires for EV's have a foam inner lining. The sealant would make repair difficult.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts