Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm from the UK and recently had the experience of driving 260 miles in the new Audi e-tron, Audi's first electric car. The range in this car fully charged was only 220 miles, which is already disappointing as at £80,000 the equivalent model X would've made the journey without even recharging.online near me copies
I tried to stop to charge at around 100 miles reaming at a Ecotricity charging point which is the majority of the points on UK motorways and are rated at 50kW over CCS and 10kW over type 2. The first one we arrived at was occupied by a Nissan leaf so I moved onto to the next one thinking i had plenty of range. The next two were free but the CCS connector was broken at one and the system was offline at the next meaning it's capped at 10kW. I made it to the 5th station with 30 miles of range left so i had to charge over the 10kW connector, as the CCS was also offline, and sit for an hour so I had enough range to make it home. The state of these charges was appalling as there were one or two chargers at each location which were almost always occupied, broken or limited to 10kW.
The real problem was at 3 of the 5 of these stations there were superchargers. I was standing in the rain plugging and unplugging a old tattered connector as i could see Teslas coming and going charging 10 times faster with no agro. Seeing this people will never recommend any luxury EV except a Tesla.
From this experience I can see people returning their cars as they can barely make it anywhere in the country and with how often the stations are broken you have a very high risk of being stranded somewhere. I just can't see a reason to buy any expensive electric car that isn't a Tesla as they charge faster and the chargers actually exist.
TLDR: Travelling the UK in an Audi e-tron i could only charge at 10kW and could see Tesla's chargers working flawlessly as i waiting for hours and talked to tech support. The best advert for Tesla is having any EV that isn't one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The failings of Ecotricity seem very well documented. I don't even bother with them, rather use the Geniepoint or Instavolt network. Had no issues so far with either of those and they charge at 50KW DC. Only a slight issue having to divert off a motorway a few miles. Much prefer the E Tron, so happy to do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Charge at home, no problem.
Why buy a car that can’t reach your destination? If you know you’re going to drive longer than the range of e-tron, buy a Tesla.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm from the UK and recently had the experience of driving 260 miles in the new Audi e-tron, Audi's first electric car. The range in this car fully charged was only 220 miles, which is already disappointing as at £80,000 the equivalent model X would've made the journey without even recharging.online near me copies
I tried to stop to charge at around 100 miles reaming at a Ecotricity charging point which is the majority of the points on UK motorways and are rated at 50kW over CCS and 10kW over type 2. The first one we arrived at was occupied by a Nissan leaf so I moved onto to the next one thinking i had plenty of range. The next two were free but the CCS connector was broken at one and the system was offline at the next meaning it's capped at 10kW. I made it to the 5th station with 30 miles of range left so i had to charge over the 10kW connector, as the CCS was also offline, and sit for an hour so I had enough range to make it home. The state of these charges was appalling as there were one or two chargers at each location which were almost always occupied, broken or limited to 10kW.
The real problem was at 3 of the 5 of these stations there were superchargers. I was standing in the rain plugging and unplugging a old tattered connector as i could see Teslas coming and going charging 10 times faster with no agro. Seeing this people will never recommend any luxury EV except a Tesla.
From this experience I can see people returning their cars as they can barely make it anywhere in the country and with how often the stations are broken you have a very high risk of being stranded somewhere. I just can't see a reason to buy any expensive electric car that isn't a Tesla as they charge faster and the chargers actually exist.
TLDR: Travelling the UK in an Audi e-tron i could only charge at 10kW and could see Tesla's chargers working flawlessly as i waiting for hours and talked to tech support. The best advert for Tesla is having any EV that isn't one.
I don’t live in the U.K. so cannot speak to that network. In the US, a company called Electrify America has donr a great job installing super chargers all over the country, with more being installed. They all operate at 50-350kwh. The Etron is capped at a 150kwh intake, so charging is usually a breeze.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Why buy a car that can’t reach your destination? If you know you’re going to drive longer than the range of e-tron, buy a Tesla.
We have family that live 470 miles away, and we visit them a few times/year. Do you have a recommendation for me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sure. Don’t buy electric ;)
What a nonsense argument.
My last ICE Land Rover Discovery 5 would barely have done 470 miles on a full tank. Should I have bought a Fiesta instead :rolleyes:.
Maybe you should say if you can't get your head around refuelling en route then use public transport.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What a nonsense argument.
My last ICE Land Rover Discovery 5 would barely have done 470 miles on a full tank. Should I have bought a Fiesta instead :rolleyes:.
Maybe you should say if you can't get your head around refuelling en route then use public transport.
It was a joke...

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you bomb it at 85 on the motorway, any electric car will have disastrous range, Teslas included. Take your time, drive at 65 and you'll get much better range. Plan your route in advance and use ZapMap to see which chargers are free and working.

I don't buy this argument about the Supercharger network being so superior. They're in very few places in reality. CCS locations outnumber Supercharger locations by nearly 20:1 in Europe. That disparity is only going to increase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sorry, but that has got to be the dumbest fckn answer I have ever heard. "Don't buy an electric vehicle if you are going further than 1 full charge." You win the dumbest post today, sir

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sorry, but that has got to be the dumbest fckn answer I have ever heard. "Don't buy an electric vehicle if you are going further than 1 full charge." You win the dumbest post today, sir
Thank you!
My point is that if you drive long distance, you buy a Tesla. Charge without problems. You know the range of other EV’s and how the chargers around are crap, just google it..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you!
My point is that if you drive long distance, you buy a Tesla. Charge without problems. You know the range of other EV’s and how the chargers around are crap, just google it..
What if I drive long distances but I want something well-built, with a quiet and comfortable ride so I can talk to my toddler while driving?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in this situation now. I took delivery of the Model Y performance and returned it after 24 hours. The ride quality was unpleasant for an expensive car. And the interior doesn't make you feel good about all that money spent either.

Now I started to look at e-tron as some used e-trons are in the same price range as the new Y. I have the range concern as well but we will be using this car in San Francisco Bay area with occasional 5 hours or so duration road trips.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am in this situation now. I took delivery of the Model Y performance and returned it after 24 hours. The ride quality was unpleasant for an expensive car. And the interior doesn't make you feel good about all that money spent either.

Now I started to look at e-tron as some used e-trons are in the same price range as the new Y. I have the range concern as well but we will be using this car in San Francisco Bay area with occasional 5 hours or so duration road trips.
There is plenty of public charging in the Bay Area

·
Registered
35 Posts

Omg, this is me today. I almost ordered a Tesla Model Y Perf today. the test drive revealed how much fun it was to drive...unfortunately it also revealed its incredibly poor build quality. Then I went and test drove an e-tron prestige...wow, what a difference. The price, being CPO, is in line with the Tesla but you get so much more with it...just not the range.

What did you end up getting?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts