Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 e-Tron 55 Premium Plus with Full Driving Assistance
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, dear e-Troneers! Need to vent some frustration and ask for advice.

The thing that annoys the heck out of me is the way the car initiates a playback of an audio source. This just simply does not makes sense to me. Basically it's like this - every time I start the car, the following may happen:
  • the car opens an audio player on my phone and starts blasting music to my sleepy ears;
  • the car opens an audio book player on my phone and starts reading a book;
  • the car opens an audio player on my phone and doesn't start blasting music to my sleepy ears;
  • the car opens an audio book player on my phone and doesn't start reading a book;
  • the car cannot open anything and displays "finding the source" message.
The worst part is that the above mentioned actions will happen regardless of what I was doing/listening before. A fellow at the Audi service told me that pressing the volume knob just "mutes" the audio, but doesn't actually turn it off. He said that one needs to turn the knob all way counterclockwise to turn it off. I tried, and it doesn't help - the car still starts playing something albeit quietly. I also tried turning the car off and exiting, which shuts down the playback. Alas, upon entry something will (or will not) start playing. I tried to disconnect my phone as an "audio player" in the car settings, but now I cannot play anything at all, even manually.

I guess the biggest annoyance for me is that I can never predict what will happen and what will start playing. Checked some Audi forums and it seems as people are complaining about this for years. So I decided to ask you for help - is there anything that I am missing? Does your car behave the same way and how do you keep your sanity in this case? o_O

Thanks everyone in advance!

·
Registered
186 Posts
This has happened to me in various forms in the last five Audi's I've owned. It does all kinds of crazy things, such as suddenly turning on the radio as I'm driving down the road with both hands on the wheel, play music on its own, etc, etc. There is a ghost in the machine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In my 2021 e-tron, I have CarPlay enabled on my iPhone. About 30 seconds to a minute after starting/driving, when the iPhone connects, it typically switches to the audio source on my iPhone, and will play the last Audio I was playing. For example, if I was listening to a podcast, it will continue to play that podcast. Sometimes, though, nothing will play. Typically I had to have been playing the audio in my e-tron. It's kinda helpful and nice when I was listening to a podcast, then want to continue to listen to it when I get back into the e-tron. It is annoying when I want to listen to the e-tron radio and the vehicle automatically switches to my CarPlay audio source with no input from me.

This is a function of the CarPlay, I believe. The only way to disable this is to turn off CarPlay. But then you won't have bluetooth phone calling or text messages come through, so I just leave it enabled and switch to the audio source I want to listen to if it automatically switches to something I don't want.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for support and your stories. You know, I don't ask for much, just for the MMI to remember my last playback. I'm even okay with auto play, since I usually listen to the same source.
Just recently i was listening to an audio book for a week not even touching my VLC audio player, but on Friday, for no apparent reason, instead of Geralt and Ciri doing boring things (in the audio book) my car opened VLC and blasted music half max volume 😵 I was shocked, seems like the car has a mind of its own. At this point, half the time I start the car, the very next thing I do is pressing the volume button to shut it up. You want to turn on the car to have warm seats while you charge? - here's a blast of symphony metal for you 🙃 While I enjoy the music, it is obviously annoying.
BTW. I'm not using Android Auto, just connect via BT.
My brother has a Subaru and says that when his car cannot detect a thumb drive with music, nor a BT device connected, it just starts playing radio 🤦‍♂️ Makes me think that that feature may be intentional and I'm just not the targeted audience for it 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
24 Posts

The thing that annoys the heck out of me is the way the car initiates a playback of an audio source. This just simply does not makes sense to me. Basically it's like this - every time I start the car, the following may happen:
  • the car opens an audio player on my phone and starts blasting music to my sleepy ears;
  • the car opens an audio player on my phone and doesn't start blasting music to my sleepy ears;
  • the car opens an audio book player on my phone and doesn't start reading a book;
The worst part is that the above mentioned actions will happen regardless of what I was doing/listening before. A fellow at the Audi service told me that pressing the volume knob just "mutes" the audio, but doesn't actually turn it off. He said that one needs to turn the knob all way counterclockwise to turn it off. I tried, and it doesn't help - the car still starts playing something albeit quietly. I also tried turning the car off and exiting, which shuts down the playback. Alas, upon entry something will (or will not) start playing. I tried to disconnect my phone as an "audio player" in the car settings, but now I cannot play anything at all, even manually.

I guess the biggest annoyance for me is that I can never predict what will happen and what will start playing. Checked some Audi forums and it seems as people are complaining about this for years. So I decided to ask you for help - is there anything that I am missing? Does your car behave the same way and how do you keep your sanity in this case? o_O

One workaround is to create an automation on your phone and make it deal with what happens upon connection 🙂

·
Registered
9 Posts

I’ve owned my 21 Etron Quattro for over a year now and I have personally not experienced this. If you have a track you are listening too while in the car and you get to your destination if you turn off the car without pausing the song you put that song in a state of pause until you get back in then it resumes. Trying pausing what ever audio your listening to before you get out. Good luck

·
Registered
2021 etron 50 Black Edition
79 Posts
One easy get around is to set the shortcut button on the steering wheel to switch between MEDIA and SOURCE, that way when you get in and it starts with Carplay, you cna hit the button and it will return to your favourite radio station.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for suggestions!

One workaround is to create an automation on your phone and make it deal with what happens upon connection 🙂
This is a good idea, I will try that!

If you have a track you are listening too while in the car and you get to your destination if you turn off the car without pausing the song you put that song in a state of pause until you get back in then it resumes.
Tried that. While sometimes it DOES pause the track, other times it didn't. Meaning that after car start, it won't play sometimes, but sometimes it will. Sometimes it starts playing a different source, say instead of audiobook that I was listening to an audio player that is just installed on my phone. This inconsistency is what makes the issues so irritating. I only want the car to (1) remember the source that was played last and (2) remember the state of play/pause. At this point I have neither.

One easy get around is to set the shortcut button on the steering wheel to switch between MEDIA and SOURCE, that way when you get in and it starts with Carplay, you cna hit the button and it will return to your favourite radio station.
I'll consider that, thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A quick update on the issue: I figured out at least one thing. The car does not remember the last source played, your phone does. The car plays (or tries to play) the last source your phone played, whether it was music player, audiobook player, or YouTube video you watched last night before sleep. Kinda weird, but at least now I'm more in control of what it being played.
Recently listened to music form an SD card, then went to Source, selected my phone and "Last Track Played", and it correctly started playing an audiobook that I was last listening :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find this annoying as well, so every time I park I always make sure to turn the volume down before I power off.
Does this work for you? In my car I haven't found a consistent way to make it mute upon start. More often than not it starts playing something even if I turned the volume all the way down before power off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts