Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a youtube video where a reviewer was disappointed that there weren't any USB ports for the back seats. Well, I found them. They are right under the middle seat - facing forward. Tough to see unless you crawl in and look. Easier to feel for them. Two USB C ports. There's also a wireless phone charging slot in the center armrest console - a skinny slot on the drivers side of the compartment. There's a clip to hold the phone in and a skinny slot to push the phone forward. It's tough with long phone, but can be done.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT - Prestige - Suzuka Gray - Performance & Leather Packages
20 Posts
I watched a youtube video where a reviewer was disappointed that there weren't any USB ports for the back seats. Well, I found them. They are right under the middle seat - facing forward. Tough to see unless you crawl in and look. Easier to feel for them. Two USB C ports. There's also a wireless phone charging slot in the center armrest console - a skinny slot on the drivers side of the compartment. There's a clip to hold the phone in and a skinny slot to push the phone forward. It's tough with long phone, but can be done.
My Prestige has 2 in the rear as well. Owners should also be aware that you can set up an alert in an MMI menu that lets you know if you leave the phone in the charging slot before you leave the car. It can be a chime or a verbal warning. Nice feature!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually was referring to the setting to remind you of the cell phone left in the vehicle. Can’t find that setting in the MMI. Thanks.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Should be available at Settings -> General -> Reminder signal and mobile device charging.
According to the manual (pg. 182) it should work with the wireless charger or if connected via USB.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Should be available at Settings -> General -> Reminder signal and mobile device charging.
According to the manual (pg. 182) it should work with the wireless charger or if connected via USB.
I believe it only works if your phone is connected to Apple Carplay or Android Auto. It does not care about the wireless cubby, which is way too small for any of the flagship phones of today. Kind of disappointing along with the lack of wireless Android Auto.

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT Prestige Performance
51 Posts
I believe it only works if your phone is connected to Apple Carplay or Android Auto. It does not care about the wireless cubby, which is way too small for any of the flagship phones of today. Kind of disappointing along with the lack of wireless Android Auto.
I only get the warning if my phone is in the cubby but I've always connected via wireless Android Auto in my GT which continues to work great. Both my S20+ in a Spigen case and my wife's S20 Ultra in an OtterBox fit in the wireless charger you just have to shove the phone forward while putting it in, it goes to muscle memory after a while.

FWIW, we just picked up my wife's i4 edrive40 on Friday and her phone does NOT fit in its more traditional charging cubby in front of the cupholders. That said, BMW software (our first BMW ever) was so clearly superior in the first ten minutes that Audi's MMI and myAudi app are an utter embarrassment. I develop software for a living and I'm starting to agree that Audi software is lawsuit worthy. If I didn't have Android Auto I don't think I'd keep the car even though it is superior in every other way. VAG needs to reboot its entire software org ASAP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BMW software (our first BMW ever) was so clearly superior in the first ten minutes that Audi's MMI and myAudi app are an utter embarrassment. I develop software for a living and I'm starting to agree that Audi software is lawsuit worthy. If I didn't have Android Auto I don't think I'd keep the car even though it is superior in every other way. VAG needs to reboot its entire software org ASAP.
The Audi software and mobile app is just awful. It's so bad I've stopped using it. It's what very nearly made me decide on the i4 M50 over the GT. Ultimately the car itself won me over, but it was a hard decision as the software, technology and performance I felt was better in the BMW. You can't even get OTA updates!! The system was designed and launched in 2016 so it's 7 years old. No android wireless either, and those boxes are crap as they all take a good minute to boot up and start working, plus they are a bit laggy. Technology lets the GT down which is a shame for it's EV flagship.

·
Registered
'22 E-tron GT Quattro in Daytona Gray
3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know, I found that same page and inquired about it. The Audi technologist said that some of the GTs came with Wireless AA but the experience was sketchy and not reliable so Audi nixed it to eliminate the "sometimes works, sometimes doesn't" thing.

I do use a AA Wireless dongle which works for the most part, except toll gates tend to interfere with wireless AA and it loses the connection every time which makes wired work better to begin with. This is not specific to Audi or the AA Wireless dongle, it is a wide spread interference problem that the FCC failed to control. So I often just plug my phone in to avoid those interference points but on short trips or when I don't go that way wireless AA works nicely. If I had factory wireless AA I could easily switch between wired and wireless by plugging in the phone or not plugging it it. My current setup requires unplugging the dongle and plugging in the phone which is a far less convenient user experience.

Even with all these issues AA is way better than Apple Carplay. Oh and my pixel 6 pro with the quad lock case does not fit into the wireless charger. I did buy an ultra slim case that allows me to squeeze it in there but it's far from ideal solution, the wireless cubby is just too darn small.

·
Registered
'22 E-tron GT Quattro in Daytona Gray
3 Posts
What do you mean nixed, how do they decide which models have them and which don't? I have it working on mine and I just got mine last week.

I had some trouble getting it to work for the first 2 days or so (whereas my brother's wireless carplay worked right off the bat) but it's since started working flawlessly. When I initially was setting up, the car mentioned both wireless Android auto and apple carplay in the setup screen, did yours only mention carplay then?

As for the wireless charger, I completely agree. What a horrible spot to put it. I have a regular Pixel 6 and even though it fits it's just not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What do you mean nixed, how do they decide which models have them and which don't? I have it working on mine and I just got mine last week.

I had some trouble getting it to work for the first 2 days or so (whereas my brother's wireless carplay worked right off the bat) but it's since started working flawlessly. When I initially was setting up, the car mentioned both wireless Android auto and apple carplay in the setup screen, did yours only mention carplay then?

As for the wireless charger, I completely agree. What a horrible spot to put it. I have a regular Pixel 6 and even though it fits it's just not worth the hassle.
The real problem is that while every car is the same model year there are hardware supplier and version differences between delivered vehicles and while we might have the same car some MMI may not have the same hardware as others so the system might work in some cars but not in others.

As an example, my wife's A6 Allroad also has HUD just like I do but on hers the speed limiter has a nice "speed limit" and a border around the sign like it does on the dahs while on mine I only get the number to show up. It could be a coding thing or it could be a different version of the firmware that made such a random change. You can also find the message thread where the HUD in some cars was showing directions while in other cars it showed nothing of the sort. Two different version of the HUD hardware required two different versions of the software.

I think AA wasn't fully tested and working when the GT first was released and they did not enable it. My car has been back to the dealer since several times and there was no mention of ever getting AA enabled on it only what I wrote above. I will bring it up once again when my car goes in for the 1 year service in a few weeks but I am not holding my breath for it to be enabled.

I also noticed that the dash has ability to utilize a built-in accelerometer to do 0-60 timing and display G forces but it is disabled in our cars. I tried to have it enabled with ODB11 but even after I enabled it the values were displaying zeros. I must be missing an adaptation or coding that would feed the data to the instrument cluster.

I, as a software engineer by trade, find the software functions in the Audi rather garbage. The MMI is an un-customizable mess where some things can be shortcuts while others can't, the menu is disorganized and random. I even found some weird hidden gremlins pop-up (I saw that at one point the engineers put in a feature to be able to have seat heat balance adjustable between the seat bottom and the back part as it popped up during a setting but obviously the settings weren't changing anything or were unable to save).

I also had the car go into full limp settings on the lights and other features under the airport toll/camera entry system where everything just "malfunctioned". I also had the power plug flap constantly fail to sense that it is closed and I have to re-open/close to have the warning go away.

These are small things but bothersome that they made it through testing. Overall the software quality is abysmal.

My remote park assist finally started working but I don't even want to use it because nothing is more embarrassing than standing next to you car with your phone out for two minutes trying to summon the car out of the parking spot to no avail. The system seems to be nice but it is extremely unreliable and lack of consistency is what kills confidence.

As much as I enjoy many aspects of the car and the engineering that went into it, the MMI, nagivation, and user interface is not one of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Gtakacs does the mobile app connect to the car? That's one thing which really bugs me about my etron SUV. I'm not expecting any improvements when I get the GT.

You are right, the MMI software in Audis is just awful. If they can't get a basic thing like wireless android auto working in 2022, what else doesn't work? I'm not expecting any integration between carplay/android and the car itself, like navigation on the centre screen which should be a no brainer on a car like this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts