Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my Nardo Grey RS today. I’ve never had PPF or even thought about getting it I usually take care of my cars pretty well but thinking of doing it on this one since the paint job cost me a lot more. What is y’all’s thoughts on it?

·
Registered
590 Posts
IMO it's required. Repainting is never the same and I hate taking the car apart.
There are many benefits to PPF, not just protection against rock chips.

I just got my windshield protected, after a multi day paint correction I'm getting all the pieces in the post in a few days.

Here are the vulnerability points on this post.
You don't need to do the doors necessarily because the factory puts a small piece of PPF on the bottom of the rear door, but door handle cups and the black rocker panel are a must.

Remember whatever your paint is will be magnified by the PPF, so make sure your paint is properly corrected before the PPF is applied.

My car came like this on an enclosed trailer and still required a lot of paint correction
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m currently installing matte ppf on my 22 sport back prestige. Full vehicle ppf bulk install. I own a vinyl graphics shop but I have only installed a very small amount of ppf. A shop will cost you about $8k-$10k for full ppf.
Did a test install on the hood to see if I liked the matte.
Clear or matte, front clip or full car ppf, I think it’s a necessity. Especially on a $90k car
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Registered
267 Posts
Over the years, I ended up with many small stone chips in the front surfaces on my Porsche Cayman S and my Tesla Model S. Touch-up pant is never quite the same shade. So, when I bought my eTron GT, I bought PPF for the front, fenders, hood, A pillars, mirror caps, and in front of rear wheels. PPF avoids almost all stone chips.

·
Registered
22 GT
14 Posts
Never had it put on.
Can't worry about every little thing in life. Especially when it's gonna cost 5-10% of the car's value. It's a car. A transportation appliance. Nothing more, nothing less. I can't imagine dropping $10-12K on some wheels, either.

Lotus offered PPF from the factory. It was called Starshield, and it was a rubbish product. But absolutely necessary due to the shape of the body. Yellowed very quickly and very difficult to remove.

$0.02

EDIT: We did run tear-offs on my wife's old G-wagen windshield. That was some super-cheap insurance that I could install in about an hour.

EDIT2: I am looking for a set of 20" e-tron GT or Taycan takeoffs for winter usage. Any of you with aftermarket wheels looking to get rid of your stockers?

·
Registered
2022 Audi e-tron GT Prestige/Performance/Leather [Mythos Black]
369 Posts
if you want to protect the paint it's a good option. but it will get chipped up just like your paint, and then you have to pay to have that piece fixed or replaced. doesn't seem to be a good value in my mind unless you are trying to keep it pristine for a future sale.

it's not as if it's an invisible shield that doesn't get dinged up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Is there any side effect down the road from removing it with glue?
Because its a new car there is nothing to worry about with removal, if removed properly. I removed the PPF from the factory with no issues.
If there is a rock chip that penetrates the PPF and chips the paint, there could be an issue removing the PPF and it grabbing and pulling it off. It just needs to be removed properly

·
Registered
105 Posts
It’s absolutely worth it.

To dispel some myths, properly installed it is easy to remove off a new car that’s been prepared well at installation. PPF has come a long way in the last 10 years, current films are invisible. And if it does get chipped / torn, if self heal isn’t enough you can have a panel replaced in a day rather than 2+ days for a panel respray.

Cost wise I had the entire car covered including glass and it was less than 3% of the cars value.

On the GT yes there’s are PPF pieces on the rear doors from factory but they are nowhere big enough.

Then there are the benefits of quicker easier cleaning. It’s already saved one of my doors where someone has car park bumped the car, ripped the film but paint in tact. £150 for a new piece of film for the door as opposed to a £500 paint job.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was close to doing the front of my sportback. Never had a car done with PPF or ceramic. After looking at my A6 when I sold it, to me it wasn't worth the cost. The lower part of the car was beat up, not like other parts of the car, and I had some minor chips on the hood. I decided just to do ceramic to help keep it cleaner and passed on the ppf.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I paid close to 10k for front, rear, and all black and carbon fiber parts (incl roof) and windshield plus ceramic over the entire car. The car wash guy says I have on of the most hydrophobic cars he's seen. Totally worth it, imo.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts