Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have brought the Thule Evo roof bars for my Etron which doesn't have rails and I thought I would let people know how I got on and ask for advice on the position of the box which I feel is too far forward.

When building the bars please note that the rubbers are all different so they do all need to go in the right place. The metal hooks are just different on the front to the back. The instructions say exactly where to position the feet in terms of width and how far back from the windscreen they should go. The front fits quickly and easily to those instructions. The back just does not work. The instruction state to set the width to 42.5 but I found 40 works ok.

The position of the racks feels too far forward and subsequently the box as well. The box has adjustments on it and it is as far back as it can go. However, the box makes a fair bit of wind noise at 50mph so I am unsure if I should take it onto the motorway tomorrow as the noise and stresses might be a bit much. Go the country route and I will get car sickness complaints!

The rail keeps getting wider as you go back so not sure if it is safe to move the rack back. Even though the is loads of room with the boot open.

Hope this helps someone and any ideas on how to improve the installation would be appreciated.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Grille

·
Registered
e-tron 55 quattro 300kW Launch Edition 2019
10 Posts
A very timely and helpful post, as my 55 quattro that I bought a month ago has no roof rails (I couldn't be too fussy when choosing used models, ideally I would have got them) and I have an almost brand-new set of Thule aero bars and mountain bike racks.

What was the Thule foot pack product number that you used? Was it "Thule Clamp Evo 710500"?

I think the position of your bars looks fine, but like you say the roof box looks slightly too far forward. Could it be because of your particular roof box, though, i.e. would other brands sit in a different position?

Certainly those roof bar positions would work for Thule mountain bike carriers, as the rear bike wheels wouldn't want to clash with the boot when it opens.

I take it, then, that our rail-less e-trons are designed to take roof bars? The thing that worries me is putting stresses on the roof that it wasn't designed to take.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
295 Posts
Your bars look like they're in the same position as my roof bars, which are the farrad ones (Thule didn't have any options when I needed to fit bars).

I have a Thule M tour roof box and it sits on the bars Ok. I have to push the box back as far as it allows though otherwise it would also hang over the front. I think as Steve G mentioned, its the box that's the problem unfortunately, but hopefully easily resolved. You could hire a Thule box to test it. Or you're welcome to try mine if, long shot, you're nearby.

I too wouldn't risk high speeds with that box in that position.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
295 Posts
Certainly those roof bar positions would work for Thule mountain bike carriers, as the rear bike wheels wouldn't want to clash with the boot when it opens.

I take it, then, that our rail-less e-trons are designed to take roof bars? The thing that worries me is putting stresses on the roof that it wasn't designed to take.
I think the roof bar companies have come up with the solutions, rather than the etrons being designed specifically to take those solutions. It took a while for Thule to release a product which suggests to me that Audi hadn't designed the etron to take these bars and feet specifically.

Speaking for the farrad bars, they're pretty safe. I've used them multiple times on long journeys with no issues. You torque them up to 5nm only, and there's rubber and protective paint on the feet to protect the car's paintwork. The car's doors close without impediment too. I'm impressed. My routine takes 10minutes to get the bars and box on the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts