Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The E-Tron tire pressure monitoring feature does not display the current pressure in the tires. Seems like a missing detail in the feature?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree - it’s strange isn’t it - they don’t have full TPMS - they use a system that measures the pressure when you’re driving to assess whether they are under inflated or not ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agreed. Full TPMS has been available for a while now, so it's strange we don't have that in a vehicle this expensive and this advanced. However, I may have an explanation: It seems that full TPMS does not play well with Wireless CarPlay. I have this combination in a 2020 vehicle, and the TPMS occasionally throws errors ("unable to read sensors") when Wireless CarPlay is active. It seems that the frequency used by the TPMS base station to communicate with the wireless sensors in the tires is right smack in the middle of the WiFi frequency range. Whenever this happens, the trick is to disable CarPlay and then re-enable it; then the WiFi access point sees the TPMS signals and selects a different channel. I would like to believe that Audi saw this and decided not to implement TPMS until the problem is resolved. Unfortunately, the truth is probably different.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree. Not showing individual tire pressures is pretty much unacceptable in a car that is in this price range. Maybe the car's wireless Car Play system prevents a TPMS system from working properly. The eTron also does not have AM radio. Which was a surprise to us because we had no idea that any car wouldn't have AM radio when we ordered the eTron. But maybe the lack of AM radio also indicates the reason why a full TPMS showing individual tire pressures is not available for the eTron.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Strange. My 2019 etron has wireless CarPlay.
Yes, as does ours, I'm speaking to the lack of showing each individual tire pressure. Posts above indicated that showing tire pressures wasn't possible due to wireless CarPlay. Our 2019 X5 had both with no issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I looked for the TPM display in our 2019 e-Tron. The message came back telling me that I had to do the initial measurements on each tire. I took that to mean that after I did my measuring chore, and entered the data, the e-tron would subsequently show the real time pressures.....I've yet to do my part....

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
163 Posts
I think that you have to set the pressure correctly for the load, temperature and tyre type then register that as a baseline. The car must then look for a deviation in rotational speed against power delivered to the wheel in order to detect if the tyre is going flat. Perhaps this is an adequate solution? Not so sure it’s very useful to know the exact pressure figure but I’ve never owned a car with that feature.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We had TPM back in 2010 on our Honda, and still do on our pick-up. Perhaps because we live out on a dirt road, our tires require more maintenance, we've found that information very helpful , especially if you can inflate at home, and totally avoid gas stations :).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that you have to set the pressure correctly for the load, temperature and tyre type then register that as a baseline. The car must then look for a deviation in rotational speed against power delivered to the wheel in order to detect if the tyre is going flat. Perhaps this is an adequate solution? Not so sure it’s very useful to know the exact pressure figure but I’ve never owned a car with that feature.
Maybe someone who's had a warning can chime in here. Let's say one tire does go low, does the car tell you which tire?

As @TJL noted, this is nowhere near new technology.

There ARE cars that have wireless CarPlay AND can still provide specific tire pressure readouts, so I don't really buy that as an excuse for this brand new vehicle to lack this combination of features.

I definitely find it very helpful when I know exactly which tire might be running a little low. Or maybe all 4 have dropped significantly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
They cheaped out by using the ABS sensors in place of actual telemetry. But it actually works in cases other than weather changes. I had to nurse a similar car back home over 600-odd miles and it would typically flag a 4-5 psig drop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe someone who's had a warning can chime in here. Let's say one tire does go low, does the car tell you which tire?
No it won't just, that a tire is low.

A curious thing about my old 2015 Volvo XC60 is that it had actual sensors but it still wouldn't tell me which tire was low and how low it was. The wife's car tells me individual tire pressures and temperatures, as do many after-market TPM systems.

Reactions: Carsplain

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
230 Posts
You can activate AM radio on eTron using OBD Eleven app for 10 credits for that app.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I always fit Tyre pal pressure sensors to my cars. These give a constant pressure and temperature reading. Unlike the early tyre pressure monitoring systems which required a pressure sensor within the tyre these simply fit externally to the valve. They are very accurate too!

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron Premium Plus
21 Posts
I had my first experience with the TPMS this morning during my commute to the office. The "Loss of Pressure" warning flashed to inform me that I'd experienced a loss of pressure. Nothing more. It did not indicate which tire or how significant of a pressure change. It simply directed me to adjust the pressures and resave them in the system.

I did a quick visual review of all four tires when I got to the office, and I did not see anything abnormal. It's possible this morning's cooler weather caused enough of a psi drop on a tire to trigger the warning. I'll connect my mobile inflator to check pressures and correct inflations when I get home this evening.

I've had several cars and SUV's in the last decade that indicated pressures by tire. And as for the Wireless CarPlay hypothesis, we have a 2017 X5 with a much better TPMS system and Wireless CarPlay. We've not had any conflicts or issues between the two.

I love my e-tron, but it seems like Audi cut corners for the TPMS. This TPMS is rather worthless.

Is there any chance it could be upgraded through a software update?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had my first experience with the TPMS this morning during my commute to the office. The "Loss of Pressure" warning flashed to inform me that I'd experienced a loss of pressure. Nothing more. It did not indicate which tire or how significant of a pressure change. It simply directed me to adjust the pressures and resave them in the system.

I did a quick visual review of all four tires when I got to the office, and I did not see anything abnormal. It's possible this morning's cooler weather caused enough of a psi drop on a tire to trigger the warning. I'll connect my mobile inflator to check pressures and correct inflations when I get home this evening.

I've had several cars and SUV's in the last decade that indicated pressures by tire. And as for the Wireless CarPlay hypothesis, we have a 2017 X5 with a much better TPMS system and Wireless CarPlay. We've not had any conflicts or issues between the two.

I love my e-tron, but it seems like Audi cut corners for the TPMS. This TPMS is rather worthless.

Is there any chance it could be upgraded through a software update?
Based on my experience with the indirect TPMS in my e-Tron and my previous A4, if it simply says "loss of pressure" that simply means the pressure hit that threshold in multiple tires. If it was specific tire that suddenly lost pressure, it will tell you which one and give a more severe warning. I experienced that scenario after getting a nail in one of the tires on my A4.

In your case, just fill the tires to the correct PSI when the tires are cold and store the pressure the TPMS through the MMI.

For your other cars that displayed the TPMS, that was a direct system which has wireless sensors in the wheels. It has the advantage of giving a direct readout, but the disadvantage of have to replace them every so often, or dealing with bad ones, which I've had happen.

Both systems are quite accurate in determining problem situations, but each has their own unique advantages and disadvantages. I think it's really 6 of one, half a dozen of another...

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron Premium Plus
21 Posts
Based on my experience with the indirect TPMS in my e-Tron and my previous A4, if it simply says "loss of pressure" that simply means the pressure hit that threshold in multiple tires. If it was specific tire that suddenly lost pressure, it will tell you which one and give a more severe warning. I experienced that scenario after getting a nail in one of the tires on my A4.

In your case, just fill the tires to the correct PSI when the tires are cold and store the pressure the TPMS through the MMI.

For your other cars that displayed the TPMS, that was a direct system which has wireless sensors in the wheels. It has the advantage of giving a direct readout, but the disadvantage of have to replace them every so often, or dealing with bad ones, which I've had happen.

Both systems are quite accurate in determining problem situations, but each has their own unique advantages and disadvantages. I think it's really 6 of one, half a dozen of another...
Thanks. I checked all four tire pressures after I got home last evening. All pressures were within 1.5psi of what Audi recommends. Still, I inflated them to the appropriate pressures per the sticker inside the driver’s door and saved them in the MMI.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks. I checked all four tire pressures after I got home last evening. All pressures were within 1.5psi of what Audi recommends. Still, I inflated them to the appropriate pressures per the sticker inside the driver’s door and saved them in the MMI.
It's very possible the dealer originally overinflated them and stored the pressure at that higher setting. I had that happen.

Also note that in the manual there are different pressures for a fully loaded vehicle versus a partially loaded one. The sticker on the door frame doesn't mention that, but it's worth noting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts