Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of things:

1. How susceptible is the E-Tron to key-less Theft? I saw something about the key having the ability to switch off which prevents this.
2. Is there a need for a Tracker given that there's one built in already?

Thanks,

Con

·
Registered
10 Posts
From my understanding the tracker shows where the vehicle was when it was left and does not warn you hen it is moved. There is an ability to phone the police to get a reference who can then track it, but I would not call it a full tracking solution. The key is RFID which is enabled by an electromagnetic pulse, so as such it cannot be switched off. However that said, if you put it in a faraday pouch, the RFID will then be shielded from electromagnetic signals from outside which could be then relayed to a repeater near the vehicle to enter and start the vehicle. This is no different to other manufactures presently although a couple are working on better security.

I am getting a tracker put on mine when it arrives in Dec (hopefully) and you could get an RF one which does not get jammed and you could also use a card system which will alert immediately if a card (in your wallet) is not in the car as well.

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Also in the UK insurance companies do not except the built in “find my car” type of service within the Etron (all Audi’s) as far as I am aware as an insurance approved tracker. It’s definitely not a Thatham approved system. My insurance company (again UK) does not require a tracker Thatham or not be installed to insure the car. However I did opt for one out of personal choice to be fitted. I also keep all my car keys in faraday pouchs in the house. I have a friend who also has an Etron and his insurance company insisted he have one, or they would not insure him. I am always a fan of having a tracker fitted. Oh and it did reduce my policy cost. But weirdly not my friends!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts